Added to the list

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
So, just got my name added to the city's list for where they can drop off wood. Will see what comes of it.

That's a nice feature, for a city to have log drop sites. Wish Madison were that way. Last year my neighbor had a nice ash taken down in front of his house by the city arborists, I talked with them and asked if I could take the wood. They told me that city policy is all terrace trees must be picked up and hauled away to make wood chips. What a waste and certainly not going to prevent tree based diseases and pests (if they're already present in trees in the neighborhood not much we can do). Funny thing is that 2 months after that ash was removed the city came and took down all my ash terrace trees in front of my house. When I got home from work that day there were downed trees all over the place! They must of run out of time to haul the wood away. Guess who wasn't getting any wood to chip? ;lol That made for a super easy ash score and the trees ended up giving me around 2 cords of wood when it was cut.

Next best thing is getting on the list for tree services to dump their logs at your place. This is what I rely on now as its so much nicer to have a variety of wood right in your driveway!! To me its worth the risk of finding metal and who knows what else in the wood. I have a metal detector and every piece of wood gets scanned before it gets stacked. Is it another step in a already long process? Yes it is but worth it for my sanity so I don't worry about chucking a piece of wood in my stove that could harm the catalyst.

Reactions: Gearhead660
That's a nice feature, for a city to have log drop sites. Wish Madison were that way. Last year my neighbor had a nice ash taken down in front of his house by the city arborists, I talked with them and asked if I could take the wood. They told me that city policy is all terrace trees must be picked up and hauled away to make wood chips. What a waste and certainly not going to prevent tree based diseases and pests (if they're already present in trees in the neighborhood not much we can do). Funny thing is that 2 months after that ash was removed the city came and took down all my ash terrace trees in front of my house. When I got home from work that day there were downed trees all over the place! They must of run out of time to haul the wood away. Guess who wasn't getting any wood to chip? ;lol That made for a super easy ash score and the trees ended up giving me around 2 cords of wood when it was cut.

Next best thing is getting on the list for tree services to dump their logs at your place. This is what I rely on now as its so much nicer to have a variety of wood right in your driveway!! To me its worth the risk of finding metal and who knows what else in the wood. I have a metal detector and every piece of wood gets scanned before it gets stacked. Is it another step in a already long process? Yes it is but worth it for my sanity so I don't worry about chucking a piece of wood in my stove that could harm the catalyst.
Round here, the city gives the homeowner a chance to remove the tree(in terrace) with the company of their choosing before the city does it and charges the homeowner.
Wood delivered to me removes half the work. Not knowing what I will get is worth the gamble.

Round here, the city gives the homeowner a chance to remove the tree(in terrace) with the company of their choosing before the city does it and charges the homeowner.
Wood delivered to me removes half the work. Not knowing what I will get is worth the gamble.
I guess right of way or municipality easement is referred to as "terrace" in the Midwest? I really am curious, as I had to Google the use of terrace here.

I guess right of way or municipality easement is referred to as "terrace" in the Midwest? I really am curious, as I had to Google the use of terrace here.
Yup, easement or terrace. Its considered the city's property but homeowners are responsible for its upkeep...

I got a Tree service that I can call for free log length..........heck, last load, he called me, said "Hey, you need wood ?, I got a great load on the truck right now", told him where to drop, 1 hour later I had White / Red Oak, Hickory and Ash sitting in my processing area.

Reactions: dcl
With the current Covid crisis I've often wondered how the local tree service companies are doing. I'm on 3 lists for using my house as a log drop site and my last drop was in January with the promise of the summer months being more productive (more jobs I guess?). Well fast forward to now and I'm thinking many jobs are cancelled or rescheduled. Hopefully things can pick up a bit more soon.