Adding a flue damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jmb6420

Burning Hunk
Jun 25, 2019
NE Oklahoma
I’m adding a flue damper to my stove. I have a duravent DVL damper/adapter that will replace the existing adapter. Now for the question.
I currently have an Auber flue probe installed through the expansion joint. It looks like the damper/adapter is about 1/2” taller than the standard adapter so I’ll have to drill a new hole through the inner expansion pipe to insert the probe. I’ll go through the original hole in the outer pipe. Will this cause problems? Do I need to patch the original hole or do I need to purchase a new expansion joint? (not my preference)

Ok. I just got off the duravent site and they should be the same height. So it shouldn’t be a problem. But, I’d still like an answer to my question just in case.

Yes redrilling will be fine as long as the old hole is in an area of overlap