adding a tilt on a splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rbcss

Sep 15, 2007
Windsor, Ct
has any one add a easy tilt on their splitter. I have a tilt on mine but when my wife wants to help split during the day and when she runs into larger pieces and trying to lift the I-beam is to heavy for her and has to wait until I get home to to tilt it up for her. I've seen some splitter that will tilt up very easy and was wondering if anyone has installed one.

HI ,

some of the professional brands of splitters sell add on log lifters. do a search and you will find them. Timberwork, MS, and some other.

Thanks

Carpniels

I beleive hes after something to raise the splitter from horizontal to verticle although a log lifter would accomplish the same thing

Typically the tilt mechanism on the standard "I-beam" styled hydraulic splitter is just a pivot point, and like the teeter-totter you probably played on as a kid, it's just a matter of balance.

1. Running the ram all the way out will shift the weight of the wedge down to where it will help tilt the beam.

2. Putting a couple sandbags or other weights on the end of the beam will also help to swing it up. Maybe try putting a large round on crossways and running the ram down to hold it would give you the needed weight.

3. You might try putting an extension lever on the top end of the beam to give her a bit more leverage when lifting the beam initially. The unit I borrowed and played with the most, once you started to get the beam up it was pretty easy, it was just the first couple of feet that were a challenge.

Gooserider

Also, have you tried splitting vertically?
I did it both ways with my tri-axle load and preferred vertical.
You can sit down while doing it and there's no big lifting.

Hi -

As an Engineer type I'm endordsing Goose's suggestion #3, then #1.

I split 90% by hand. However if I get a big load of fence row trees which have lots of crotches I will rent a splitter. I then like to use the tilt feature to break up the monotony of the all day session.

ATB,
Mike P

thanks for all your input. I seen but haven't really studied how some splitter with tilt are made. but I have seen some that you can lift the whole I beam with one hand, they are very easy to tilt. but guess there really isn't a kit that you can buy. If I want to try and do one I would have to do some measuring up and build it my self.
thanks again

RBCSS,

Your wife wants to split during the day while you're gone? Go buy that woman some roses and stick a big chunk of jewelry in with them. You're a lucky man,

Status
Not open for further replies.