Adding fuel question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hi, Guys…I have read loads on here about small hot fires which I have tried to do as my stove really heats the house a little to hot with a big load sometimes, I have also read that it is good practice to let the fire go almost out and start a new load which I have tried but it has taken ages for the fire to really get going again…I am letting the splits get down to the point were you can break them into red hot coals and then I am adding the new load….question…am I adding the new load to early? And should I leave the fire to go right down to hot ashes.

What stove do you have? When you let the coals burn down and the next load has a problem getting going your either waiting too long and need larger coals to start the load up or your splits ar to large. Try leaving the door open 1" for a few after you load next time. Watch it and as soon as it has a good flame started close the door. The bottom line is the new load should start up just because the fire box is so hot it really does not take many coals with a hot box.
As far as keeping the heat down just only add 1 split [round better] to the fire when the coals are just enough to lite it. Small fires with one split is also a way to burn the coals off. Turn the air down as soon as your wood starts burning.

snowtime said:
What stove do you have? When you let the coals burn down and the next load has a problem getting going your either waiting too long and need larger coals to start the load up or your splits ar to large. Try leaving the door open 1" for a few after you load next time. Watch it and as soon as it has a good flame started close the door. The bottom line is the new load should start up just because the fire box is so hot it really does not take many coals with a hot box.
As far as keeping the heat down just only add 1 split [round better] to the fire when the coals are just enough to lite it. Small fires with one split is also a way to burn the coals off. Turn the air down as soon as your wood starts burning.

Thanks, Jotul f250 which is one of their newest models, as I say I add 2 or 3 splits when the previous s[lits can be broken into large coals...will try the one split and experiment when to add it.

snowtime said:
When you let the coals burn down and the next load has a problem getting going your either waiting too long and need larger coals to start the load up or your splits ar to large.
Or your wood is too wet.
I can let mine burn down to just a few red spots and it leaps back to life when I open the air and put almost any size split on it.

I generally let my stovetop thermometer get to around 300F or less, then I open up, rake the coals to the front, reload, and leave the door cracked just a bit. Once I hit around 425F on the thermo, I close down the bypass damper and let it climb to around 500F and start adjusting my air intake down in stages.

Depending on the weather and how hot or cool the house it, I put on from 3 to 5 splits in milder weather. Doing this gives me a nice bed of coals when I am ready to bed down the fire for the night. I also tend to use lighter splits (pine, sourwood) during the day/milder weather. I load up the big oak splits and rounds at night.

Adding anything before it cools down at the end of a burn cycle causes my temps to spike dangerously high, I've learned. So, I always wait to end the cycle to load.

bokehman said:
Hi Neil, what are you burning, and how big is the firebox on that Jotul? Why are you adding wood? Is it because you don't want the fire to go out, or are you cold? Most threads point to a coalbed 2-3" thick for an easy reload.

Same as the one in my avator, I am using dry ash and oak mostley, I am adding to keep the heat going, but if I let the coals go to low the fire is hard to get going quickly it does get going but takes a while, if I add 3 small splits while coals are large and hot the fire takes off.

You've got the same problem I've got. My stove produces a lot more heat than I need. If I don't fill it up though the the coalbed doesn't last. I just fill it right up and put up with the heat spike (26+ degrees). It only lasts an hour or so then starts to slowly go down. Then I normally wait until the temp has fallen to 18 degrees before refilling. On the weekdays I just let it go out at night and relight it when the kids come home.

Status
Not open for further replies.