Adjusting firebox size in a big stove/aka Anyone want to buy a cute little englander?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
I'm going for overkill!!! Instead of putting 200 gals in my oil tank for the rest of this winter and for next I jumped on this-
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/70897/P22/#831082

Thanks Ice. I changed my home store location and paid $699 with tax free delivery. I got some behind the scenes hearth.com help to figure out if this could work in my space ;-)
Will use the starter kit for the rest of the season, make some modifications to extend the hearth, and be ready for a toasty winter next year without the furnace kicking on in the middle of the day or middle of the night. Who needs insulation?! I may need to add on to my house.

I'll put the starter kit on craigslist. Hopefully someone will want to pay $699 for it. I promise to never call that 30 ugly or pine away for the blue black jotul that I was going to start saving for and be able to afford in 2020.

So I need to ask a question to keep my thread open so here it is-

Hogz, can you send me some doilies please? I don't even know how I'm going to move this 475lb beast to the hearth, so it may be a plant stand/tea table for awhile

In all seriousness- I know there's been talk about loading extra firebricks into a big stove to create a smaller space, but has anyone here done that? What did it look like? How did it work out?

I really don't think you need to try to shrink the firebox. You just shrink the load. I loaded three what I call medium oak splits two side by side and one on top at ten last night for a thirty degree night. Went to bed with a 72 degree house and got up at eight to a 72 degree house with just enough coals to put on a small chill chaser for the day and let it burn down.

You will learn to use load size, the mass of the stove and the mass of that stone fireplace to balance things out.

How long do you cut your splits for that stove?

eta it just occurred to me that I have a lot of scrounged splits that are too big for the 13 but should fit nicely in that 30.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
I'm going for overkill!!! Instead of putting 200 gals in my oil tank for the rest of this winter and for next I jumped on this-

Thanks Ice. I changed my home store location and paid $699 with tax free delivery. I got some behind the scenes hearth.com help to figure out if this could work in my space ;-)
Will use the starter kit for the rest of the season, make some modifications to extend the hearth, and be ready for a toasty winter next year without the furnace kicking on in the middle of the day or middle of the night. Who needs insulation?! I may need to add on to my house.

I'll put the starter kit on craigslist. Hopefully someone will want to pay $699 for it. I promise to never call that 30 ugly or pine away for the blue black jotul that I was going to start saving for and be able to afford in 2020.

So I need to ask a question to keep my thread open so here it is-

Hogz, can you send me some doilies please? I don't even know how I'm going to move this 475lb beast to the hearth, so it may be a plant stand/tea table for awhile

In all seriousness- I know there's been talk about loading extra firebricks into a big stove to create a smaller space, but has anyone here done that? What did it look like? How did it work out?

Congrats on the larger stove.

But, you are in a drafty old house. I don't think you need to worry about shrinking the firebox. Will you have days when the stove room is a little warmer than you want during shoulder season? Possibly. Will it be annoying? No. In fact you will giggle with how warm you can make your house. Also, with the big stove you can let it die down a lot further without reloading. Your life just got a lot easier.

Sixteen to eighteen inch splits are just right. I try to cut to sixteen because that way they will fit the 30 or the little Jotuls. And the "whoops" splits are a nice 18" for the 30.

BrowningBAR said:
Your life just got a lot easier.
excellent! thanks. I wasn't sure how well this winter would work out. If I could successfully heat with wood. I'm really pleased to look back and see that I have managed to do that for five months straight (albeit 100 gallons of oil). My only shortcomings were not enough ready wood and the stove ultimately too small for my space and my schedule. The Captain got me through the first. This stove will take care of the second.

Kathleen, when it's time to move the beast in position....ya know a couple strong men to come and help? Make a pan of lasagna (I have a killer recipe), and get a case of beer (for after the positioning), end of story. What guy would not want to help you and get a great meal and a couple of beers???? Plenty here on the board would probably be interested. ;-) Congrats on the new stove.

Kathleen,

Congrats on your new stove! Glad you didn't have to wait until 2020 for a Jotul. :) Even though we do own the Jotul I did seriously consider the Englander 30 but no way would that beast have fit on our raised hearth. You're doing great - keep it up - start getting next years wood cut/split/stacked now and you should be good to go. If you get oak don't plan on burning that for at least 2 yrs. after you've got it cut/split/stacked. Burn on! :)

earlll said:
I think branchburner added firebricks for shoulder season.

Yes, and it worked out pretty well. With my type of stove (downdraft) it was the only way I could get a smaller fire to give me a decent secondary combustion. (I will probably put them back in for April.) Not sur what it would do with a burn tube stove.

I think it would be interesting for someone to try it with an NC-30, not so much out of necessity but out of curiosity. Would the performance and efficiency be better, worse, or pretty much the same? If for no other reason, someone should do it for Pook's sake.

"In all seriousness- I know there’s been talk about loading extra firebricks into a big stove to create a smaller space, but has anyone here done that? What did it look like? How did it work out? "

Why not talk to Englander customer service?

branchburner said:
If for no other reason, someone should do it for Pook's sake.

;-)

DanCorcoran said:

something that could be suggested about many questions generated here at hearth.com, so I'm not sure why mine garnered your particular attention?? Thanks for your interest.

Thanks Shari, I am working on the wood situation. Michelle you're next for that big 30!

Pook??

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Congratulations Kath, that's a big jump, but should make a nice difference for overnight burns, especially if you have a nice stash of oak or hickory. However, if you're waiting for doilies from Hog, you may have a long wait unless he's taken up lacework on the side. %-P Don't you just love braindead spell checkers?

Don't know about this season Kathleen, I think going through 2 new stoves in one season is enough, prolly next season....I'll wait and see how you make out with yours, anxious to see the difference for you....

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:

Thanks Ice. I changed my home store location and paid $699 with tax free delivery.

You're welcome. Tax free? Good for you.

I should have bought this stove first. I ended up putting a total of $560 (initial cost plus rebuild parts) out for a craiglist stove which works well and heats the home very well (80 F downstairs and 74 F upstairs), but the door creasotes up and then smokes from the door itself when I open it and my daughter complains bitterly. Reading about the "clean no creasote glass" which 30 NC owners mention and my refusal to have cable or sattelite TV, I am looking forward to a no creosote non-smokey open door that allows for some cheap family friendly fireview entertainment family movie night ;) .

Fortunately, I was able to find a buyer for the stove that I currently have but I am taking a loss... oh well, I consider it tuition for my education on proper wood burning.

Enjoy the stove. I hope that my family and I enjoy ours too (we receive it this Friday).

-Ray

branchburner said:
earlll said:
I think branchburner added firebricks for shoulder season.

Yes, and it worked out pretty well. With my type of stove (downdraft) it was the only way I could get a smaller fire to give me a decent secondary combustion. (I will probably put them back in for April.) Not sur what it would do with a burn tube stove.

I think it would be interesting for someone to try it with an NC-30, not so much out of necessity but out of curiosity. Would the performance and efficiency be better, worse, or pretty much the same? If for no other reason, someone should do it for Pook's sake.

If someone were to be so kind as to donate the stove, I would gladly donate my time to investigate this. All in the name of science, of course. I have extra firebrick to facilitate an expedited outcome.
:cheese:

If she doesn't like this thing I am toast.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
DanCorcoran said:

something that could be suggested about many questions generated here at hearth.com, so I'm not sure why mine garnered your particular attention?? Thanks for your interest.

Sorry...my mistake.

B.Bart -

Dumb question(s) on the '30 -

1) The ash clean-out, can all the small bricks and the cover be replaced by a single brick to cover that area?
I would rather shovel my ash, than mess with a drawer.

2) In your opinion, would a course of brick above the factory, laid on their side, help increasing burn times?
I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting a '30 to replace the Huntsman in the shop.

Thanks!

P.J.

No problem configuring a brick or a brick and a piece to cover it. Forget all of this stuffing bricks in to make it smaller. Just burn a smaller load in the middle of the thing if N/S or only put wood in the front half if E/W. Adding more bricks to insulate and keep the heat from getting out into your living space is not what you want. I honestly cannot figure out why anybody wants to make the firebox smaller. Just don't fill it up. Just like I won't be for the rest of the heating season. It will still get hot but will level out and come down some before it runs me out of the joint and then put out nice warmth for five or six hours on three splits. The load that you would put in a smaller stove burns just as long in a bigger stove.

Then when you need a bunch of heat, load it to the top of the firebrick retainers and hang on.

oh my...you are going to cook during the "shoulder" season. i have a stove that is oversized also...but wouldn't trade it either...like you, i hope to add on some day-soon. just takes a little getting used to, how much not to add to the fire.
congrats on your new "baby"! don't forget about the break-in fires and also...awwww, who am i kidding??? you know all of that stuff already!!

BrotherBart said:
No problem configuring a brick or a brick and a piece to cover it. Forget all of this stuffing bricks in to make it smaller. Just burn a smaller load in the middle of the thing if N/S or only put wood in the front half if E/W. Adding more bricks to insulate and keep the heat from getting out into your living space is not what you want. I honestly cannot figure out why anybody wants to make the firebox smaller. Just don't fill it up. Just like I won't be for the rest of the heating season. It will still get hot but will level out and come down some before it runs me out of the joint and then put out nice warmth for five or six hours on three splits. The load that you would put in a smaller stove burns just as long in a bigger stove.

Then when you need a bunch of heat, load it to the top of the firebrick retainers and hang on.

Thanks about the clean out.

But as far as adding bricks, I don't want to make it smaller, but to stack them above; on the side walls of the fire box inside the stove; to retain more heat in the firebox. I know it sounds odd, why the heck would someone want more heat INSIDE the stove, but, I'm a little (O.K. a LOT) odd. I want the cleanest burn I can do - even with a little sacrifice of heat/efficiency. I'm tired of my neighbors smokin me out; To the south; a Jotul caboose style stove; East - 2x Older OWB; North- Open fireplace, then a slammer stove; and the West - 2x fireplace, and 1 new(er) stove (don't see smoke, do see smaller and smaller wood stack!)

I do not want add to smoke the 'hood; especially on "warmer", foggy nights. The '30 would be in the shop, replacing the A.S.W. Huntsman. It'll get intermittent firings throughout the cooler/colder months-at least 3x a week; more when I have time off. The smoker just eats wood; reload to the gills every 3 or 4 hours; and just doesn't cut it for the space I'm trying to keep warm(er).

P.J.

P.S. - Sorry, but I just ordered on from your neck of the woods from H.D.. It should be here this coming week - just so happens that I took the week off ;-) PICS will follow.

you will be very happy. My stove loves to be filled to the gills or just 3 splits as BB mentioned earlier. W/ a small 3 piece load put them in a triangle or pyramid and the stove will work great on a small load.

I'm anxious to hear about the difference.

pen

iceisasolid said:
~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Thanks Ice. I changed my home store location and paid $699 with tax free delivery.
You're welcome. Tax free? Good for you.

The ever important comma. That should read $699 with tax, free delivery. Enjoy your stove!

BrotherBart said:
Adding more bricks to insulate and keep the heat from getting out into your living space is not what you want. .
Okay, okay! I've been skooled.

BrotherBart said:
If she doesn't like this thing I am toast.
True that :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.