Adult beverage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MoDoug

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2018
NE Missouri
Wanting to try a different adult beverage, something along the lines of a sipping drink, I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12. It's a single malt scotch whiskey and in my first sampling of it, I really like it and seem to prefer it with a very small amount of water. I was just wondering if anyone drinks it, and how you prefer it? Before or after dinner, snacks? I am not a connoisseur by any means, just looking to expand my horizons.

Also thinking about my next venture. If not Glenlivet, what do you like?

IMG_7237.JPG

Reactions: PA Mountain Man
With a drop of water indeed. For me before dinner (like the French "aperitif" (often cognac or bourbon for me). But when with friends, after dinner - but then a lot more gets consumed...

No connoisseur either - just know what I like.

Reactions: MoDoug
With a drop of water indeed. For me before dinner (like the French "aperitif" (often cognac or bourbon for me). But when with friends, after dinner - but then a lot more gets consumed...

No connoisseur either - just know what I like.
Sounds like we're like minded on this. I considered a cognac. Whatever I try and like, I'm hoping friends and family like as well!

Not a real hard liquor guy, but I like Dalwhinnie
I haven't been a hard liquor guy either, maybe it's a stage in life. The description of Dalwhinnie sounds great, I may have to put this on my watch list!

Sounds like we're like minded on this. I considered a cognac. Whatever I try and like, I'm hoping friends and family like as well!

Lol. I don't mind if they like to have something else than my favorite. As long as we're enjoying the company.
I haven't been a hard liquor guy either, maybe it's a stage in life. The description of Dalwhinnie sounds great, I may have to put this on my watch list!

I'm an all of the above (except for sweet stuff) person. A small finger of bourbon, cogni, or whiskey, a good microbrew, a nice glass of wine. One per day, tho, most days.

Lol. I don't mind if they like to have something else than my favorite. As long as we're enjoying the company.
Absolutely! I enjoy introducing something new, and they like it as much as I do or more. Last summer I made a gin and tonic for our daughter and she REALLY latched onto it. LOL It's a refreshing drink that goes with summer boating, in moderation of course.

Reactions: stoveliker
Dalwhinnie
is my single malt of choice
there are others but the price puts them out of my range
only on very special occasions and company
If there was one single malt that I would like a wee dram every
day it would have to be Dalwhinnie 30 year old but at over 800$
a bottle like I said a wee dram once or twice a year

Dalwhinnie
is my single malt of choice
there are others but the price puts them out of my range
only on very special occasions and company
If there was one single malt that I would like a wee dram every
day it would have to be Dalwhinnie 30 year old but at over 800$
a bottle like I said a wee dram once or twice a year
At over $800 a bottle, that's an investment! But I bet it's good!

1614873743432.jpeg

Wanting to try a different adult beverage, something along the lines of a sipping drink, I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12. It's a single malt scotch whiskey and in my first sampling of it, I really like it and seem to prefer it with a very small amount of water. I was just wondering if anyone drinks it, and how you prefer it? Before or after dinner, snacks? I am not a connoisseur by any means, just looking to expand my horizons.

Also thinking about my next venture. If not Glenlivet, what do you like?

View attachment 275558
Glenlivet is a nice tasty dram. I like single malts.

Reactions: MoDoug
This was our St. Patrick's Day tasting trio. The Tyrconnell is single-malt, damned expensive, and very good. The Slane and Tullamore Dew are blended, but still nice sippers.

IMG_20210317_162356613_HDR.jpg

Glenlivet is a nice tasty dram. I like single malts.
I'm down about 3/4 of the bottle, and still enjoying it.

And I think an Irish Whiskey will be my next foray into something new. Honestly, as soon as I tasted the Glenlivet, I knew I had Scotch Whiskey at some time in my past, and I'm sure the same will be said for the Irish Whiskey, but a younger me didn't know how to appreciate it as I would now. It's the 'ole I wish I knew then what I know now!

Again, not an expert. But of the Irish I like Bushmills.
For an Irish whiskey, I've been considering Jameson or Bushmills, mostly because of reviews and popularity, and of course now Begreen throws a couple more in to consider. I'm very fortunate to have these decisions to make.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
What amazed me was that in 2015 I was in Glasgow and purchased a bottle of Dalwhinnie for 43 British Pounds. After coming home I found the same bottle at my local liquor store for 40 US Dollars.

What amazed me was that in 2015 I was in Glasgow and purchased a bottle of Dalwhinnie for 43 British Pounds. After coming home I found the same bottle at my local liquor store for 40 US Dollars.
Did it say made in China on the label? :) Ok, not joking Dalwhinnie sounds really good!

No, never heard of it.