Advice for new homeowner on quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trakl

Oct 13, 2021
Tuscaloosa AL
We just moved into a new house built in 1959. House has a fireplace and we would like to have an occasional fire for ambiance so we sought a professional inspection. Also when it rains we do see a little bit of water come into the fireplace so we knew there were some issues. We live in the south and there are not a lot of chimney services around us. The one place I got to come out has lots of good reviews online and the guys seemed very knowledgable and professional, but I was shocked at the quote. They want to pressure wash the chimney, rework the crown with crown saver, tuckpoint all damaged mortar with 35 year rated silicone, spray the chimney with a water repellant spray, and rework the smoke chamber with Smoketite foam for $4325. If that's really what this kind of work is worth, fine, I guess I'll have to make up my mind whether it's worth it to me or not, but I'm leery about going forward without a second opinion, and since there's no one else in my area to ask, I'm asking y'all if that seems in the ballpark or not. Many thanks in advance for any reality checks you may be able to offer.

We just moved into a new house built in 1959. House has a fireplace and we would like to have an occasional fire for ambiance so we sought a professional inspection. Also when it rains we do see a little bit of water come into the fireplace so we knew there were some issues. We live in the south and there are not a lot of chimney services around us. The one place I got to come out has lots of good reviews online and the guys seemed very knowledgable and professional, but I was shocked at the quote. They want to pressure wash the chimney, rework the crown with crown saver, tuckpoint all damaged mortar with 35 year rated silicone, spray the chimney with a water repellant spray, and rework the smoke chamber with Smoketite foam for $4325. If that's really what this kind of work is worth, fine, I guess I'll have to make up my mind whether it's worth it to me or not, but I'm leery about going forward without a second opinion, and since there's no one else in my area to ask, I'm asking y'all if that seems in the ballpark or not. Many thanks in advance for any reality checks you may be able to offer.
What they are proposing is not the proper way to fix a chimney. It is infact completely the wrong way to fix it other than the smoke chamber work that may be needed I don't know.

Crow saver doesn't rework a crown it is just a very temporary bandaid. Silicone caulk is not how you repoint a chimney and waterproofing isn't needed if they actually fix the chimney.

What they are proposing is not the proper way to fix a chimney. It is infact completely the wrong way to fix it other than the smoke chamber work that may be needed I don't know.

Crow saver doesn't rework a crown it is just a very temporary bandaid. Silicone caulk is not how you repoint a chimney and waterproofing isn't needed if they actually fix the chimney.
Thank you for your response. I guess I will have to keep trying to find other companies that will actually come out and give me a quote.

Brick sealing isnt really a recommended thing, especially in colder climates or area's that can experience temps in the teens or lower, eventually bricks will find equilibrium with the local atmosphere, if your moist, your bricks will be moist, when people choose to seal brick the sealer will trap that moisture then you'll eventually get lime separation in mortar and spalting / cracks in the brick itself, no good.
Cracked crowns - need to be replaced, like Big B said, crown patches are temp solutions, repointing needs to be done with mortar, old mortar needs to be scraped to remove the loose stuff first, not a silicon solution.
You might have better luck finding a mason that builds homes in the area, they generally will do the footings, foundation, fireplace and chimney for the project as part of a package.

Brick sealing isnt really a recommended thing, especially in colder climates or area's that can experience temps in the teens or lower, eventually bricks will find equilibrium with the local atmosphere, if your moist, your bricks will be moist, when people choose to seal brick the sealer will trap that moisture then you'll eventually get lime separation in mortar and spalting / cracks in the brick itself, no good.
Cracked crowns - need to be replaced, like Big B said, crown patches are temp solutions, repointing needs to be done with mortar, old mortar needs to be scraped to remove the loose stuff first, not a silicon solution.
You might have better luck finding a mason that builds homes in the area, they generally will do the footings, foundation, fireplace and chimney for the project as part of a package.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I will see if I can find a mason to do the repointing for starters. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.