Advice on a good USED woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing! My house is about the same size. Just 3 of us. Two rooms we keep shut. Old windows. House build in '68 I think. Attic insulation is great. Walls not so good. With the economy in this area, 2nd in crime to Detroit (Flint... I'm not actually in Flint, but too close for comfort), and the economy, we refuse to invest any more money. We will never see a return. Any whoo......... Good to know about the Starlet. We are actually now looking at a used Fireview by Woodstock. It's almost 2 hr drive one way. We're hoping he can at least send more pics before we hit the road. I'm determined to wait until just the right one comes along.. meanwhile, I'm learning a lot right here on this site. Wise to draw from wisdom & experience of others... I always say.

The Fireview would be worth the drive if it's decent. I wish there was a better used stove selection up here lol. But I'm really enjoying this one for my first stove, it's nice looking and works for what I want it for right now. Keep looking and you'll find one. I drove 5 hours each way for this one lol.

The Fireview would be worth the drive if it's decent. I wish there was a better used stove selection up here lol. But I'm really enjoying this one for my first stove, it's nice looking and works for what I want it for right now. Keep looking and you'll find one. I drove 5 hours each way for this one lol.

I should have started my search in the summer I think. I'm afraid if I wait too long I'll miss the right one. So... I turned to this site to find out what I want, and what I don't want! ;) It's getting cold! I missed out on one right here in my home town. A Woodstock Keystone. Awww. Shucks! The guy with the Fireview is hard to reach and not cooperating well... so that may be good for me and the reason it's not sold yet! We were already to drive there on Fri afternoon.... and we wait and wait to confirm his address. Finally get through... he left town! Good thing we didn't hit the road yet! So.. we went out to dinner instead. I find myself dreaming and imagining the warmth of a good fire!! I've always wanted a fireplace... this is as close as I can get! Prayers, fingers crossed!! Anyone here in MI wanna sell me your soapstone!? lol

Tough time of year to buy a used stove. They all turn into gold with the first cold snap.

I find myself dreaming and imagining the warmth of a good fire!! I've always wanted a fireplace... this is as close as I can get! Prayers, fingers crossed!!
Everyone here is with you. Trying to find a good used stove for a reasonable price is hard especially this time of year. Most listings seem to be way overpriced and you really have to know what to look for. So many stoves have been misused or neglected and the defects can be hard to spot.

Two thoughts from me. There are many very nice wood stoves that are not soapstone. That requirement is going to make it even tougher. Second, if can stick it out one more season, there will many more choices available both new and used.

Good luck and be careful out there...

Reactions: WendyE
Suggestion I have made before. Call a couple of real estate agents. They are forever telling people to "get that thing out of here" before they show houses.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains guys!

I'm realizing my quest for a soapstone might be challenging, especially this time of year. That being said... I took a look around at a few non-soapstones. What are your thoughts on this one, by Waterford? Price - high, low, spot on?

http://muskegon.craigslist.org/hsh/4047403610.html

And... are there any steel or cast iron ones to steer clear of?

$1500 used is high...I would pass, but then again I am a soapstone junkie:cool:

Getting into higher priced stuff now but I know nothing about them. Do you have a chimney already? That will run another 1000 - 1500 depending on install.

Make sure anything you look at is an EPA approved model. Depending on your location, local codes may preclude certain models. That's going to make it even tougher if you aren't careful in addition to the condition issue.

You're doing good by running the ads by this forum, though. Someone here will know something about just about anything out there.

$1500 used is high...I would pass, but then again I am a soapstone junkie:cool:

oh i know I could definitely be a soapstone junkie! after all i've read... and talking to my friend that owns one! i thought the price was high too. i saw one in another state, exact same condition for $500! if they came down to $500 or $600 I think i'd take it. No chimney here at all.

You guys are simply the best! I was hoping I wouldn't wear out my welcome getting opinions of different craigslist ads.

No chimney here at all.
And that's a whole new dimension. Installation costs can be at least as much as a brand new stove. Depending on a lot of variables.

Can you tell us a bit more about the house and location and where in the house you would put the stove? Concerned about chimney issues.

And that's a whole new dimension. Installation costs can be at least as much as a brand new stove. Depending on a lot of variables.

Can you tell us a bit more about the house and location and where in the house you would put the stove? Concerned about chimney issues.

We live in a 1000 sq ft ranch house, built in last 60's. We decided we would put it in living room, which is in the north / front part of house. Interior wall or wall that backs to garage. Husband has read up on installation and feels he can do it. We do have a few builder friends that are experienced as well. I'm very blessed with a hubby that is very handy when it comes to stuff like this. However, this is all new to us. He's an insurance agent too... and has been on inspections on behalf of the insurance company to measure and take pics to make sure it's done right, so thankfully he's up on the requirements. But please feel free to share any and all articles. I'm taking notes!

All kidding aside, it's late in the year so pick one that will get the job doen this season, then up-grade next summer. As already mentioned double wall flue pipe is expensive, so if a stove comes with it that is a big plus if it is the right kind of pipe.

I don't know what model BlazeKing this is, but these stoves are fantastic heaters & for $275 your in business;
http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/4120388295.html

Another good one, a Quadrajet with 12' of dbl wall pipe:
http://flint.craigslist.org/for/4121531977.html

A rebuilt VC Viligant:
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/4094396018.html

Do you have wood as well? No use rushing anything if there's nothing to burn. And good dry wood, not just anything.

I'm not so sure...it comes with the chimney, heat shields, and a fresh air kit. Seems like a decent deal to me.
I was only commenting on the stove. I am usually not a fan of someone trying to lump all their crap together and try to make it seem like a deal.

All kidding aside, it's late in the year so pick one that will get the job doen this season, then up-grade next summer. As already mentioned double wall flue pipe is expensive, so if a stove comes with it that is a big plus if it is the right kind of pipe.

I don't know what model BlazeKing this is, but these stoves are fantastic heaters & for $275 your in business;
http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/4120388295.html

Another good one, a Quadrajet with 12' of dbl wall pipe:
http://flint.craigslist.org/for/4121531977.html

A rebuilt VC Viligant:
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/4094396018.html

=========

You are too kind looking on craiglist in my area. Thank you!! :) I really appreciate that! Will show hubby everything and really give these suggestions some deep thought and investigation. We just might have to get one to get the job done, then upgrade to our dream soapstone next yr. Which is fine by me really... I'm so cold right now as I sit here!! Getting the job done is most important really. We really want to do this, very soon, just in case we have a power outage in the near future. Plus we could always do a little cooking on them if we had to. ;)

We just might have to get one to get the job done, then upgrade to our dream soapstone next yr.
That's an option but be aware that installation requirements differ from stove to stove. Clearances, chimney, hearth, etc. You won't want to do the whole thing over again.

No wood. yet... but we have a couple of good sources :)
Don't underestimate the importance of the wood quality. The wood will have to be dry to a minimum moisture level, that is, 20 to 25%. That's going to be hard to find. Most suppliers will talk about "well seasoned" etc. But the actual moisture content is critical. It's probably the single most important factor in poor stove performance and the least understood.

Hey it's the challenge of the hunt right?/??

I would go look at the QuadraJet w/12" of pipe and "lots of accessories" for $800 obo. It sounds like you will only have to purchase a few more things to have it up and running. Do a search here on QuadraJets, they have a good rep.

Status
Not open for further replies.