Advice on a good USED woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
What kind of budget are you looking at, total?

Are you married to the idea of a soapstone stove?

Are there stoves you hate the looks of?

Do you have clearance for pretty much anything, or are there issues you might need to work with?

Do you have a need for long burn times, or do you not mind reloading more frequently?

Someone mentioned swapping out stoves. Keep in mind stoves vary in size and hearth pad requirements (both size and some need an "r-value" to the pad whereas some, like ours, need only "ember protection") and even flue size so you'd need to really consider all of that if you were thinking of going that way. We built our hearthpad for our Lopi, so it will restrict what we can buy in the future if we were to want something else (because I'm not rebuilding that pad it took DAYS and I'm NOT doing it again, lol). This can get especially tricky with side loaders, which will need more clearance on the side where that door is than a front load only stove.

I was pretty much obessed with the Endeavor, the Republic's sister stove, for YEARS so I didn't strongly consider anything else. I did love the looks of the Dutchwest Cat stove but the side load killed it. I also didn't consider shopping around or reading up on stoves so I didn't find Hearth until after we had our stove. Now I'm amazed at the variety of stoves out there (although there's VERY few I would have considered instead given what we wanted and needed from a stove). You have the advantage of thinking ahead to shp around, now you also have the disadvantage of finding out how many cool stoves there are to choose from!!

Reactions: jeff_t
Clearance in an 1100 sq ft home is something to think about. The Keystone/Palladian have some pretty hefty requirements. The side load is one thing. The rear clearance is knocked down by the heat shield, but still a lot, though it is somewhat offset by needing only 8" in front.

Worth buying or pass? Hearthstone III. I called the guy. Supposed to send me more pics today, inside & out. Says it's in very good condition. He upgraded as this was his main source of heat in the house and it's not keeping up. Two story house. Prior home owners had this basically as an occasional heat source and more of decoration if anything. Thoughts? I did read up... mfg dates from 1984 to 1990.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/hsh/4158458408.html

If it's in good shape, that is a great price. That one has brown porcelain on all the iron, so take a look close look for chipping & be very careful when moving it. Is it the Cat version or not? Not many parts are still made, so this is something to think about & here is the IPL with what's available commercially:

http://woodheatstoves.com/download/Hearthstone III exp.pdf

Here is another old thread with more info:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hearthstone-iii.14006/#176453

So, if it needs parts that are not available, you will have to make them or scrounge. However if it has not been overfired, nothing is warped inside & it has been maintained, I would not hesitate at that price. Depending on how tall a flue you need, plan on a minimum of $1K for flue parts new. Once you figure out exactly what you need you can search CL for used double wall pipe...it can be had for more then 50% off retail prices...but it takes a lot of lookin'.

Worth buying or pass? Hearthstone III. I called the guy. Supposed to send me more pics today, inside & out. Says it's in very good condition. He upgraded as this was his main source of heat in the house and it's not keeping up. Two story house. Prior home owners had this basically as an occasional heat source and more of decoration if anything. Thoughts? I did read up... mfg dates from 1984 to 1990.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/hsh/4158458408.html

These may be too far north for you, but here are two newer Heritages:

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/grd/4155833572.html

http://nmi.craigslist.org/for/4138155266.html

If you can get a deal on an unused "used" stove with some parts, and it's not too expensive, that could be a good option. Maybe the seller would put you in touch with the dealer they bought it from for more info.

The guy said he doesn't know if it has a catalytic combustor or not. He's only lived there 7 months. The house was vacant prior to that, for about the same amount of time. It looks great from the exterior. Will wait for those pics to see if the trip is worth it. Will watch for the used pipes as well. Still learning here. Wow, so much to know! I value every minute taken to educate me and share your advice. Can't thank you enough. If I get those pics will post them here.

Did you check on the Hearthstone Starlet? That looked like a decent stove at a good price. Member Holiday has one.

I don't know much about those Hearthstone III but it's an older pre epa stove and quite small by the looks of it.

I see some of you like Blaze King. I saw a few on craigslist with blowers. Is the blower necessary? I ask that because if for some reason we do not have electricity, is it necessary? No question is a dumb question, right? Thanks ;)

I see some of you like Blaze King. I saw a few on craigslist with blowers. Is the blower necessary? I ask that because if for some reason we do not have electricity, is it necessary? No question is a dumb question, right? Thanks ;)
On freestanding stoves, blowers are not necessary. They can be helpful in warming the air at the expense of some radiant heat. If the power goes out, the stove will work fine. Inserts, however, pretty much need a blower.

And it's not a dumb question at all :)

I don't know about the Hearthstone III, but if it's pre-EPA, pass.

Last edited:
On freestanding stoves, blowers are not necessary. They can be helpful in warming the air at the expense of some radiant heat. If the power goes out, the stove will work fine. Inserts, however, pretty much need a blower.

We would have freestanding only. No fireplace to insert stove into. Thanks... good to know!

http://southbend.craigslist.org/app/4121332133.html

I saw this... which made me think about the electric blower, and if it was really necessary for it to operate effectively should there be no power.
Well, at least they cleaned it up for the ad. It might have looked like this: blazekingmine.jpg

that might be a good idea, I think you're on stoverload (stove overload) right now!

You need to decide what you really want and need, that might help narrow it down a bit when you start looking again. The BK you linked to is WAY different than a Heritage for example. Different looks, construction, fire viewing, heating capacity.

You never mentioned a budget, but be aware you might be able to save yourself a lot of searching by considering a new stove that's not much off in price than what you're posting (Englander for instance-check Home Depot for pricing). If you don't need long burn times, the 17-vl might work for you even, at $550 around here.

Or maybe focus on getting a stash of firewood together this season and spend a little time here and at hearth shops to decide what you really want and can afford, then pull the trigger on a stove, hearth pad and flue set up next season.

I think you are right. I would love to have a woodstove, like yesterday! LOL! I am dreaming of being warm. My 17 yr old daughter too! She says... mom, please tell me we will have a wood stove this winter. I'm trying! Budget: $1500 give or take. Yeah, I've been told I'm a dreamer. ;)

Or maybe focus on getting a stash of firewood together this season and spend a little time here and at hearth shops to decide what you really want and can afford, then pull the trigger on a stove, hearth pad and flue set up next season.
I think that would be a good strategy also. The more you learn the better your decisions will be and that does take time.

The wood issue is really important too. If you are serious about this, now is the time to get your wood supply up.

http://southbend.craigslist.org/app/4121332133.html

I saw this... which made me think about the electric blower, and if it was really necessary for it to operate effectively should there be no power.

That is a honking big pre-EPA stove. Figure a 3ft cube that needs 24" clearances on sides and 19" back. Do you have a 7ft x 7 ft area for the stove? It's major overkill for 1000 sq ft..

That is a honking big pre-EPA stove. Figure a 3ft cube that needs 24" clearances on sides and 19" back. Do you have a 7ft x 7 ft area for the stove? It's major overkill for 1000 sq ft..
LOL. That really is pretty good example of what not to look for in all respects.

Our living room is actually quite large, thankfully. 7 ft x 7 ft? Wow, I didn't realize I would need that much room. I need to go back to square one and rethink this. Maybe even tape off an area in the living room to get a better visual. Thanks for your time & patience with me. I am just so thankful to have found this forum, that's for sure.

Our living room is actually quite large, thankfully. 7 ft x 7 ft? Wow, I didn't realize I would need that much room. I need to go back to square one and rethink this. Maybe even tape off an area in the living room to get a better visual. Thanks for your time & patience with me. I am just so thankful to have found this forum, that's for sure.
It's not just physical size and clearances. The firebox size is the critical size factor. With only 1000 sf to heat, you're looking at a stove with less than 2 cf, maybe 1.5 cf depending on house insulatiion, climate, etc.. That's a good place to start looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.