Advice on a good USED woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say this... I do not want to buy junk. I'm willing to wait it out and get better educated. If anyone wants to just recommend a good used stove, go right ahead. It will make my life a lot easier. I'll just stick to the list!! Based on your recommendations!

I saw on another thread... someone said "Woodstock, Jotul, Blaze King, PE (I don't know what PE stands for), and Morso." I'm still thinking about Hearthstone as well, the smaller ones, if it's within my budget of course.

Ha! I've even thought about a wood cook stove... but definitely would not want to cook on that in the summer.

It's not just physical size and clearances. The firebox size is the critical size factor. With only 1000 sf to heat, you're looking at a stove with less than 2 cf, maybe 1.5 cf depending on house insulatiion, climate, etc.. That's a good place to start looking.

Thank you. That is a great place to start - fire box size.

I think you are right. I would love to have a woodstove, like yesterday! LOL! I am dreaming of being warm. My 17 yr old daughter too! She says... mom, please tell me we will have a wood stove this winter. I'm trying! Budget: $1500 give or take. Yeah, I've been told I'm a dreamer. ;)

Oh I very much know the feeling. We heated with two gas stoves at our old house, but I wanted a wood burner in a big way. I had the Lopi on order and an install scheduled before we even closed on this place!! We had a mad rush to get the pad built in time for the install (DH did the framing and durarock, then I picked and laid and grouted the stones (it about a 4 x 7 raised pad covered in natrual lake stones).

I waffled a little on the stove, considered the Answer/Republic 1250 for a short while (mostly for price factors), but went back to the Endeavor/Republic 1750 after considering clearances and burn times, and the fact that the Answer wasn't much different than the Republic 1750 in price. I did compromise by going with the Republic instead of the Endeavor but now I prefer it, especially since it doesn't have a bypass handle sticking out the side!

What I'm getting at is, if you don't know what you want you're going to find too many options.

Make a list, like:

Needs to have x amount of burn time

Needs to have glass so we can see the fire (or doesn't, that's up to you)

Needs to be EPA approved (or doesn't, again, up to you)

Needs to take up less than x amount of space with hearth pad and clearances

Can be (or can't be) a side loader

Want it to be soapstone but x is ok too (You've seen there are a lot of different looks to stoves)

Etc, etc-you get the idea. It will probably help when you're ready to start the hunt again.

now, in your budget, you need to figure in:
stove
flue
hearth pad (depending on the stove, this might include something to add an r-value)
tools (just a basic set like poker and shovel)
ash bucket (even if just one for outside, it needs to have a tight fitting lid and sit somewhere non-combustible as ashes can contain embers that remain hot for days, even weeks)
welding/stove gloves (optional, but a very good idea)
abc fire extinguisher
wood storage
wood
fire starters, matches

Maybe a few other things I'm not thinking of. A lot of little stuff like the stove tools can probably be found here and there inexpensively if you gather them over a period of time (I've seen the tools free sometimes on CL even). It adds up though.

Reactions: WendyE
Here's another example of a suitable stove: http://www.lennoxhearthproducts.com/products/stoves/striker-s160/ 1.6 cf box I think.

This kind of stove requires no special hearth pad insulation (ember protection only), has good clearances and needs a minimal heath pad about 42" x 34" if you use a double wall stove pipe. I think this one is about $1200 or so new. May be able to find something like it used.

Last edited:
Reactions: WendyE
Our living room is actually quite large, thankfully. 7 ft x 7 ft? Wow, I didn't realize I would need that much room. I need to go back to square one and rethink this. Maybe even tape off an area in the living room to get a better visual. Thanks for your time & patience with me. I am just so thankful to have found this forum, that's for sure.

I really think the 1.6 cu ft Starlet would work if it is in good condition and still available. But at this time of a year a good deal on a good stove is going to go fast, almost instantly in some cases. Best to know what you want and to be able to respond quickly. Or, consider getting a new stove for not a lot more money. The Englander 13NC has serious hearth requirements, but would do the job easily. The TrueNorth TN19 is a bit easier on the hearth and also would get the job done well.

That's the 30NC at not a bad price if in good shape, but twice the stove you need.

That's the 30NC at not a bad price if in good shape, but twice the stove you need.

Well...that depends on their house, lol. From experiance....although I doubt many ranches would be as leaky and poorly insulated as an old cottage, but it could happen!

Just build smaller fires, but have the firebox space for longer burns when needed.

Found this Englander. I'm waiting for the guy to get me the model number. I've read plenty of good things about this stove... few poor reviews but I don't think they were operating it correctly. http://flint.craigslist.org/hsh/4159135872.html

You'll find an Englander rep around here on the forums. For some reason I can't think of his SN, but I am pretty darn sure his name is Mike. I've heard prety much all positive things about their stoves. We're thinking of picking up their little one (the 17-vl) to heat a small building we've got when Home Depot has their clearance sales.

Well...that depends on their house, lol. From experiance....although I doubt many ranches would be as leaky and poorly insulated as an old cottage, but it could happen!

Just build smaller fires, but have the firebox space for longer burns when needed.

That was my thinking actually. CRAPPY windows original to the house and I am certain the walls are poorly insulated!! We re-insulated the attic about 4 yrs years ago ... and if that is an indicator of how well insulated the walls are.. then we probably don't have much insulation at all in the walls :( Our house faces north... so we are freezing in the living room.. and my daughter's bedroom is ice cold! We cover the windows, put on extra clothes, fleece sheets... yes fleece! They're the best! I have off white plain quilts on my windows and sliding glass doors (i made them into curtains! and they look good if I say so myself!) We do all we can do every winter to fight it... this house is just not worth investing in... other than a wood stove.

My husband had liver transplant 3 yrs ago... fell seriously ill about 6 yrs ago... almost 3 yrs on transplant list. Long story... but he's doing fantastic now! Thank you LORD!! We had the house on the market but decided to stay with all that going on. I so wish we would have sold it... but then again, we would have upgraded and I'm certain we would have been in greater financial hardship than we were just staying here.

I wish you the best.

That space does sound hard to heat for sure. I'm going to leave the question of stove size for others more experienced. If you are serious about that 30-NC, though, you may want to start a new thread to specifically address the question of a 30 in your house. There are many experienced 30-NC users here and you will get a lot responses.

One thing that you should be aware of on that model is that it requires a hearth with an R1.5 insulation rating. Not a deal breaker, but it does complicate the hearth construction. You'll want to check the clearance requirements also, as with any stove.

Hello, I have been reading your thread an I am getting ready to order a new Progress Hybrid so I am going to have a two year old Woodstock Fireview for sale.
I am in Indianapolis, one state away.

Dwayne

Interesting. The Fireview would be a far better fit than the 30NC IMO.

Hello, I have been reading your thread an I am getting ready to order a new Progress Hybrid so I am going to have a two year old Woodstock Fireview for sale.
I am in Indianapolis, one state away.

Dwayne

Dwayne, What might you be asking for the Fireview? (The Fireview was one of the first ones that caught my eye and I fell in love with!) You can inbox me if you like, or email me at [email protected].
Thanks, Wendy

Yea the fireview is a great stove but I need something bigger myself hence the progress I want to order. It does pretty good in my 150 yr old house though.

Hope you can work something out. That would be an excellent solution.

As far as that flue pipe, it looks like SS class A pipe, which can be used inside but is a bit overkill. I have 12' of it in my house because I got a deal on it on CL. The black double wall is what most use inside the house, then SS only outside(above the roof). If you can get that cheap I say get it.

That fireview would be a nice stove. Otherwise I would seriously consider throwing an offer for that Starlet. It really is an excellent little stove and a nice looking piece of furniture when not in use as well. Might get it for 300 and then look more next year if it's not what you want. You don't want an old piece of junk for your first one whatever you do.

I think you are right. I would love to have a woodstove, like yesterday! LOL! I am dreaming of being warm. My 17 yr old daughter too! She says... mom, please tell me we will have a wood stove this winter. I'm trying! Budget: $1500 give or take. Yeah, I've been told I'm a dreamer. ;)

a brandy new true north TN19 is $1,024 here.
probably find a timberwolf 2200 brandy new for less than that

I think she is talking $1500...for stove and pipe.

That Woodstock in Flint is sold. Has been for a while, they haven't deleted the ad yet. Yeah, $1500 for stove & pipe is my budget, though I might be able to stretch that a bit if I watch and wait. Will call on the Starlet today I think. Thanks to all. You guys are a real blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.