Advice on Econoburn placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawpaw

Dec 19, 2008
Sw VA
New to this forum. Have heated our home last 25 years with an indoor wood stove, a lifestyle learned from father and both grandmothers. Just moved to an old farmhouse, one with no heating system, no hot water heater, no ductwork. Hence considering a wood boiler, esp since we have ~40 acres of woods that needs management. Started at EPA site for Phase 2 hydronic heaters. Wood gasification is our choice. Thanks to discussions with multiple boiler manufacturers and this forum, am leaning toward an Econoburn 150. Planning to place the boiler outside near house, as impractical to put underhouse and get wood there. We have an outbuilding we could put the Econoburn in, or could build its own cover. Any advice on where to place and how to house the Econoburn (or similar gasifier)? Assuming quality wood, how much does Econoburn smoke on startup or recovery, and for how long?

How far away is the out-building? Mine is 150' away which works well with only a 14' chimney.
If close to house you'll want chimney taller than roof line. Double wall chimney is very expensive but so is the underground pex.
FYI: the EKO is very similar & about $2000 less. Also check out Woodgun Alternateheatingsystems.com about $10,000 for a 140 K unit.
I'd suggest hydronic baseboard in the house.

Good point, you currently have no fossil fuel backup. The Tarm combo is a high quality unit, Woodgun is also available with integral oil/NG burner.

There is not a ton of smoke at startup or recovery if the wood is well seasoned as it should be. As Hydronics said the closer to the house the taller the chimney. Sounds like you should just make an insulated boiler room in your outbuilding (unless it is extremely far away). EKO, Tarm, and Econoburn will all eventually need storage to realize full efficiency but can be run without it. Compare the cost of those with storage to units like Garn and Woodgun that don't need extra storage. (Woodgun supposedly completely cuts air off to the chamber and does not smolder) Storage should be in the basement closer to the heat load if possible.

As for as adding heat to the house I would suggest radiant floors. You can install it yourself and it is very comfortable. Otherwise baseboard works great. Insulation is key to any good system. You can put as many btus into the house as you can manage but when it is windy and it will make no difference. It just disappears. Good luck.

Agreed on all accounts. I didn't suggest radiant because if it's 2 floors & you're not planning a complete renovation or flooring replacement, it'll be near impossible. For an existing house, it's tough to beat baseboard heat quality for the dollar & install labor. Consider radiant installed underfloor 1st floor, baseboard 2nd flr.

Hydronics said:
Consider radiant installed underfloor 1st floor, baseboard 2nd flr.

That's exactly what I have and love it. However, my Tarm is in the basement and it keeps the basement warm which I assume makes heating the floor easier. Even well insulated, I think it might be hard to heat the 1st floor if the basement is cold due to the boiler being outside. Not sure about that though.

Assuming 1st flr. radiant, this would not be an issue.

Thanks for the input; more info:
Re: backup heat, we are transitioning to a working farm, so must be here 2x per day to care for multiple types of animals.
Multiple family members can load the woodstove now. But will consider the Woodgun with LP/oil backup.

Re: Radiant floor heating. We are leaning that way. Had it one winter in Korea and the kids lay on the floor a lot!
Glad to know we can do the install. Wife an ME with design experience, who likes to read and follow best practices. Will post with specific Qs on radiant flooring purchase.

Are considering radiant first floor with baseboard or hydronic wall units on second. Likely will install first floor and then assess need for upstairs bedrooms. Anyone done this in stages?

EKO vs. Econoburn. Comments on construction quality of each? Will learn more about EKO and Woodgun.

Call both and other companies directly, this will help you in the decision making progress, even if you plan on having a pro do it. Ask for owners manuals for units, some have posted on their website. Don't be afraid to call multiple times, they have patience, trust me I know. Make it known that you are on this forum, they are familiar with it.

How large is the heat load of the structure that you are trying to heat? Do you want to heat any other structures, as well (and, if so, what are their heat loads)?

That's the first place to start. Econoburn, Eko, Tarm, and Garn all have nice units that I feel confident in recommending to folks, but the best unit for any particular application will depend upon the specifics of the application.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.