Advice on Outside Air Kit for Blaze King Ashford 30.2?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

blueyceman

Oct 28, 2019
Gunnison, CO
I just wanted to double check something with the experts - I have a 2019 Blaze King Ashford 30.2 stove, really love it, but am hoping to improve fresh air in our house for this coming winter. Looking for the proper outside air kit for this stove - best place to buy online?

Is this the right kit?

I plan to run flexible tubing below the stove with an immediate 90 degree bend, and 5' later directly through a wall to the outside (i.e. not through the floor).

So I think the only part I really need is the "FAPLATE3"....i.e. the adaptor piece that goes from the rectangular air intake at the base/rear of the stove to a 3" cylinder so I can connect 3" flexible tubing?

Am I on the right track?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Andrew

Reactions: edward7
Yes, that plate is what mounts on the stove air intake to transition to 3" round.

Last edited:
If you want fresh air *in your house*, don't use an outside air kit.
The stove (without OAK) pulls air out of your room and pushes it up the chimney. That is then replaced by fresh air leaking in through cracks in your home.

With an outside air kit, you wont be pulling air from the home, but instead from the outside, thru the tube.
So you get more fresh air in your home without an outside air kit.

This is noted because you said "am hoping to improve fresh air in our house".

Reactions: blueyceman
If you want fresh air *in your house*, don't use an outside air kit.
The stove (without OAK) pulls air out of your room and pushes it up the chimney. That is then replaced by fresh air leaking in through cracks in your home.

With an outside air kit, you wont be pulling air from the home, but instead from the outside, thru the tube.
So you get more fresh air in your home without an outside air kit.

This is noted because you said "am hoping to improve fresh air in our house".
Noted, I appreciate this perspective.

If the run gets longer for some reason, a 4" is also available.

BKVP

Reactions: blueyceman
Hi BKVP. About where do you draw the line between using a 3" or 4" plate? Any other factors besides length?
Length and if there are more than two 90º turns going up a size helps.

That again will depend on whether it's a straight run or not. I'd probably go up to 4" for anything over 10' total length.

Makes sense... can you quantify that length maybe? Thank you.
We have found 3" diameter works to nearly 12'. After that, 4".