Advice please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen said:
That's a good price on the Jotul F600. If it is your wife's preference that is what I would go for. It is a good, radiant heater.

I'm jumping on with BG on this one. The jotul f600; a big fire box, great looking stove, large splits and from what I can tell you got a good price. They will put out some big heat and are a workhorse. Also from my experience with jotul, they stand behind their products.

Den said:
Clearly, I would agree with you, VC, but Tk is looking for a larger stove. I'd suggest the New Stove . . .

Good call Den, I'll second that. However, out of the three he's chosen, I'd vote for the Jotul, they offer such a stand by product! Plus personal preference in look.

BAR, I was talking about rebuildability more than heat tolerance. I'd say steel probably is more heat tolerant, but, in an extreme case, panels can be replaced in an iron stove. My point was that this is the flip-side of the panel/gasket/cement construction of iron stoves. It requires periodic maintenance, but parts can be changed. A welded steel box is more monolithic in construction, and once it's warped, it's f'ed. We're talking extreme case, of course, and this is just my impression. . .I'm not an authority on metal fabrication. :) On another note, I was poking around on the Elm site, and Steve says that he now has a replacement part with a higher chromium content that is more durable, so I guess all "iron" is not the same. I would hope that in premium stoves, your $ would buy you the better alloys, but who knows. . .another thing to ask about, I guess.

I think the soapstone that lines my Clydesdale helps control overfiring and shock heating. This insert just pumps heat nice and uniformly. I'm looking forward to burning the 4 cf Equinox. These things are nice and controlled.

Might want to look at Buck Stove Model 91 ...we have had one just over a year ...installed as an insert / replaced >20 year old blaze king....I must say the model 91 (which is in your price range) is a fantastic stove...massive firebox, excellent heat output (powerful fan that can be set on manual/auto)..(put the blaze king to shame), made in USA, ..our house is heated with hotwater radiators..house built around turn of century...and only had storm windows and no insulation...only on the coldest days did our furnace kick in....the buck stove cut our gas budget by one-half ...wow....it has glass doors and 2 side windows..we clean the window maybe once month and dont bother with the side windows....

Welcome califf. Could you start a new thread on your Buck 91 and give us a little review of how you run the stove, wood consumption, burn times, etc.? We don't have a lot of user reports on this stove yet. If you can post some pictures too that would be great!

So I just got back from a two hour session at my local dealers.

Personally I like the look and feel of the liberty over the Olympic. Mostly appearance.

I did notice one thing I had missed earlier. Lopi has a slide damper while quadrafire does not. Nor does the Jotul. Is there just no concern anymore with heat loss out the flue because of the baffles and reburn?

I love the look of the Jotul but I'm just not sure of the overall durability of it. The liberty just seems big and beefy from door latching to glass retention bars, to door hinges. It just looks like the liberty is meant to be a work horse that is built to last.

The Jotul looks like it's quality but not so much as the liberty. Sale ends today with 10% off the liberty so the price is almost the same. $2200 will get me a liberty or Jotul 600. I'm not one to be hasty but this seems like a great deal.

TK-421 said:
So I just got back from a two hour session at my local dealers.

Personally I like the look and feel of the liberty over the Olympic. Mostly appearance.

I did notice one thing I had missed earlier. Lopi has a slide damper while quadrafire does not. Nor does the Jotul. Is there just no concern anymore with heat loss out the flue because of the baffles and reburn?

I love the look of the Jotul but I'm just not sure of the overall durability of it. The liberty just seems big and beefy from door latching to glass retention bars, to door hinges. It just looks like the liberty is meant to be a work horse that is built to last.

The Jotul looks like it's quality but not so much as the liberty. Sale ends today with 10% off the liberty so the price is almost the same. $2200 will get me a liberty or Jotul 600. I'm not one to be hasty but this seems like a great deal.

They are all quality stoves, but in the end it is which ever you prefer. If you feel the Liberty is the better stove, nothing wrong with that.

The Liberty is an excellent stove, built like a tank. The only criticism I have heard is that the firebox is shallow and wide, requiring E/W loading. But many folks like this because it closely resembles a nice fireplace fire.

TK-421 said:

My Endeavor(smaller version of the Liberty) also had a bypass damper, it's a great feature, helps keep the smoke out of the house on reloads and gets a good draft going on start ups. It's only used on start up and reloads, it's closed the rest of the time.

On the Lopi site they show a demo of the Endeavor and the guy sits on the door, the hinges and door are well made.

BeGreen said:
The Liberty is an excellent stove, built like a tank. The only criticism I have heard is that the firebox is shallow and wide, requiring E/W loading.

Probably the only reason the Liberty isn't in my house now. Zap burns his n/s, he cuts his wood at 15" and change IIRC.

Exactly. The only reason I still am holding out. The box is very shallow. And it seems as though the Jotul qwould allow more loading. Especially with the side load feature. If the liberty was 6" deeper it would already be in my truck bed.

Maybe take a look at a Regency F3100 or a PE Summit if this is a concern?

califf said:
Might want to look at Buck Stove Model 91 ...we have had one just over a year ...installed as an insert / replaced >20 year old blaze king....I must say the model 91 (which is in your price range) is a fantastic stove...massive firebox, excellent heat output (powerful fan that can be set on manual/auto)..(put the blaze king to shame), made in USA, ..our house is heated with hotwater radiators..house built around turn of century...and only had storm windows and no insulation...only on the coldest days did our furnace kick in....the buck stove cut our gas budget by one-half ...wow....it has glass doors and 2 side windows..we clean the window maybe once month and dont bother with the side windows....

#1) you cant compare a 20yr old BK to a newer stove.
#2) Its also made in the good old USA
#3) After 20 yrs it has served you, it must have some credit, not Shame.
#4) The buck 91 has a CAT and he doesn't want one.
Thought I would point that out.

The Buck is one hell of a nice stove. To bad it wasnt thermostatic.
Cheers and welcome to the forum.

Den said:
p.s. Side loading is where it's at! :)

LOL

We just ran back down to check out the side load on the Jotul. The dealer has the same stove and says he only ever opens the front doors once a month. Is this a reality? I've never had the side load unless you count my Yukon eagle n/s load. Loved that. It just seems like an easier morning start front loading it since you have more access. I was eyeballing the quadra fire but the price is a bit more than I can afford right now. Nice long n/s load.

Yes, that is reality. The more clever monkeys use the side door exclusively, the less clever wonder why it is there. :p (The once-a-month opening of the front door is for cleaning the glass.) If in doubt, take some splits down to the dealer and try loading each way. Be sure to imagine that the stove is hot, and that you don't really want to stick your hand in any further than necessary.

Den said:
Yes, that is reality. The more clever monkeys use the side door exclusively, the less clever wonder why it is there. :p (The once-a-month opening of the front door is for cleaning the glass.) If in doubt, take some splits down to the dealer and try loading each way. Be sure to imagine that the stove is hot, and that you don't really want to stick your hand in any further than necessary.

+1 on the side and front door. I only open the front for cleaning, the side is the working door...

After all this chatter, which way is TK leaning now?

Den said:

Yep, that's how it is with the Heritage. The the VCs I cold start with the front doors and reload with the top griddle.

My Oslo heats my home said:

Ha ha.

Don't get me wrong I understand and will use the side door. Don't forget I was trying to find an old defiant with side load. That was a big seller to me. I just assumed I'd also be using the front load to start it, clean ashes etc. At least a once a day affair.

The jury's still out although I have to say I'm tipping back towards the liberty. You guys have been a great help keeping me thinking of all the options.

Anyone have any experience with the window wash on the Jotul? I've been told everything from it works great to it only cleans the very center of the glass to it doesn't do much at all. The local dealer said when his blacks up he cranks it wide open and it self cleans. I'm a bit skeptical.

TK-421 said:

Ha ha.

Don't get me wrong I understand and will use the side door. Don't forget I was trying to find an old defiant with side load. That was a big seller to me. I just assumed I'd also be using the front load to start it, clean ashes etc. At least a once a day affair.

The jury's still out although I have to say I'm tipping back towards the liberty. You guys have been a great help keeping me thinking of all the options.

Anyone have any experience with the window wash on the Jotul? I've been told everything from it works great to it only cleans the very center of the glass to it doesn't do much at all. The local dealer said when his blacks up he cranks it wide open and it self cleans. I'm a bit skeptical.

To speak for the dealer, yes I agree. A cold startup sometimes produces the soot on the glass, after she heats up, the black disappears nicely. As far as the wash, the only trouble I have with my Oslo is the air intake sometimes gets a split to roll over it and the wash doesn't work across the glass evenly.

Heres hoping you have some pictures to soon follow. We can see you have an itchy finger and your about to pull the trigger! I can just see it now, tomorrow afternoons update will have your new purchase on it. :)

Most folks report the F600 glass staying clean when burning dry wood. A little darkening in the bottom corners will happen with shoulder season burns. But when the stove is allowed to get hot it burns off quickly. I suspect the person reporting the dirty glass is possilby holding back the stove and shutting it down too early, or has weak draft or most likely has poorly seasoned wood. Or it could be all of the above.

Heres hoping you have some pictures to soon follow. We can see you have an itchy finger and your about to pull the trigger! I can just see it now, tomorrow afternoons update will have your new purchase on it. :)

Ha ha ha. :)

Yes I'm getting close and need something soon. I'm hoping to catch the season to unload my resolute this fall. Plus I'd rather not have to do an install when it's colder. I have enough renovation work this fall/winter. But, I never make a hasty decision. Well informed and timely. I think I got little freebie. One dealer said he'd hold the sale of the liberty for a week for me. Thats a couple hundred off the price. I'll take it.

Should have a purchase this week sometime. Pictures will follow. ;)

Thanks Begreen. I thought that too. It's just hard to sift out the dealer's spin not ever having witnessed the wash for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.