Advice/Recommendations on Fireplace Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Automaton25

Mar 10, 2020
Colorado
Hello Everyone,

I have a Hearthstone Heritage and run it almost constantly in winter. This is the first year with the stove, it replaced a dilapidated fireplace. Since this unit books hear for so long and gets so hot inside the tools and ash carrier don't handle it. I care less about the bubbles paint on the ash bucket, but I do need something of quality to pick up coals and ashes and a broom that doesn't instantly melt.

Any ideas? Quality of aesthetics.

Cheers

Reactions: Shrewboy
We had a blacksmith make tools for us. We use a small galvanized garbage can for ashes but we don’t put hot coals or really hot ashes in it. There may be some embers. We do not use the broom.

Attachments

• D62D2416-C401-4D6A-83C9-B330280FE006.jpeg
    D62D2416-C401-4D6A-83C9-B330280FE006.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: Shrewboy
My stove (B.K.) has the ash pan which I do find very convenient, it’s eliminated my need for shovel and bucket etc. I have a small hand broom for clean up around the stove otherwise all I have and use is the poker that came with my stove, and a small metal scraper from our previous pellet stove.

All valid points. I like the idea of going to a blacksmith for something of quality! We run the stove pretty hard and have a lot of air in the house (vaulted ceilings in most rooms. I have to empty the ashes every other day or so during cold snaps and the stove stays hot for about 12 hours and coals will glow for about 24 hours so it is nearly impossible to let things cool down too much. It is all a big learning curve!

All valid points. I like the idea of going to a blacksmith for something of quality! We run the stove pretty hard and have a lot of air in the house (vaulted ceilings in most rooms. I have to empty the ashes every other day or so during cold snaps and the stove stays hot for about 12 hours and coals will glow for about 24 hours so it is nearly impossible to let things cool down too much. It is all a big learning curve!

One thing some have done (or blacksmith made etc) is to have a tool like a kitty litter scooper, this allows you to keep your coals, throw em to the side etc then clean out your ash (the so called hot clean outs). Something to think about as well