Advice / Review need: Regency CI2600 fireplace insert risky & costly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about the Blaze King Sirocco? When using the blower, will your CI2600 kick off some good heat? Thanks.
Yes, and yes.

I love mine and yes I would buy it again in Fact I bought the F3500 the stove version of the insert this spring.

Last edited:
Wolves,
I have read most of this thread now. It seems like the issues with this stove have been resolved. Would you agree? By adding the backing plate or baffling it seems like the stove is much more efficient and all the new stoves now come with this. Is this correct?
Do you have a picture of this Cat temperature probe? I thought I read someone's post where they claim all of these units now come with the probe thermometer.
I would like to see a picture to see where this would need to be mounted. It seems like this is the 3rd or 4th year this stove has been produced and they had some initial issues.
We really like the look of it, but I don't want to buy a lemon.
Also, anybody know how loud the fan is? How many decibels? This unit would be in a main room and if the blower is obnoxious, that is a problem. I am still on the fence with this purchase. I with there were more threads about this unit.

Wolves,
I have read most of this thread now. It seems like the issues with this stove have been resolved. Would you agree? By adding the backing plate or baffling it seems like the stove is much more efficient and all the new stoves now come with this. Is this correct?
Do you have a picture of this Cat temperature probe? I thought I read someone's post where they claim all of these units now come with the probe thermometer.
I would like to see a picture to see where this would need to be mounted. It seems like this is the 3rd or 4th year this stove has been produced and they had some initial issues.
We really like the look of it, but I don't want to buy a lemon.
Also, anybody know how loud the fan is? How many decibels? This unit would be in a main room and if the blower is obnoxious, that is a problem. I am still on the fence with this purchase. I with there were more threads about this unit.

It looks like they discontinued the condar cat probe I had installed on my stove. Here's the most recent model available.

http://www.condar.com/watchman.html

I don't have an exact decibel reading on the blower. On low, it is not really noticeable. On high, it is loud enough that I don't like to read in the same room. "Pretty loud" is how I would describe the high setting. So, I usually keep it on low unless I really feel like I need to pump out heat.

It looks like they discontinued the condar cat probe I had installed on my stove. Here's the most recent model available.

http://www.condar.com/watchman.html

I don't have an exact decibel reading on the blower. On low, it is not really noticeable. On high, it is loud enough that I don't like to read in the same room. "Pretty loud" is how I would describe the high setting. So, I usually keep it on low unless I really feel like I need to pump out heat.

I agree with jseery about the fan on low it's no problem but you should keep it low when your doing a slow burn the only time the fan should be on high is if you have a very hot fire with the air control opened. I did not know they discontinued the probe I have but the probe that was post is perfect, I don't know if it comes with the stove. A lot of the problems with the stove could have been the installation and the bypass not closing all the way. Just make sure when it's installed it closes all the way.

Ok guys. It appears this unit will fit. So, I am leaning very hard in the direction of purchasing this stove. With my arched fireplace, I do not have many options that will be functional and aesthetically pleasing. Does anybody know if these stoves are sold with the cat temp probe? Otherwise, I may see if they can throw it in as a kicker.

I had to purchase mine it doesn't hurt to see if they can throw it in.

I also had to buy mine separately. Definitely ask about it, and if they don't include it then suggest they throw it in as part of the price. Seems like a totally reasonable approach to me.

This last Saturday was drizzly and cool, so I started up the insert rather than have a dank cold house. It pretty quickly got the temp in my 1300 square foot, vaulted ceiling, upstairs warm, and then a little too warm for my taste (the wife and kids seemed to think it was just right).

Did a quick fire to warm up the cold stove and make a bed of coals, then loaded it full with ash/cherry mix and did a long slow burn. Started the low/slow burn at 11:00 am and it was still pumping out heat (though not that much) at 10:00 pm when I went down stairs. Nice first fire of the season.

unnamed (2).jpg

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am getting closer to possibly purchasing this insert. One dealer still has reservations about this unit, as he had to remove a couple of them for unhappy customers. It seems like Regency made some adjustments to this model. I believe they are all now sold with these changes. What should I look out for? It seems like you have to make sure the bypass closes all the way. The install will include 6 inch s.s. pipe. I did not ask if it was insulated. I will ask.
My fireplace chimney box has an open air door. The installer would like to keep that door open about 1/2 way and then put the insert in. Any thoughts on this with this particular unit?
More generally speaking, are people now happy with this unit and give their recommendation to purchase?

One dealer still has reservations about this unit, as he had to remove a couple of them for unhappy customers.
Bah. No doubt those customers were faint-hearted souls without the stomach to tackle the rocket science that is heating with wood. ;)

Hey folks,

Thanks for sharing all of the great information on this and other threads! I'm seriously considering purchasing the CI2600 for a vacation rental in Olympia, Wa that has a huge outside chimney. I've asked 3 different sales reps in the area about the block off plate and using an insulated liner, and insulating the firebox and none of them think any of this is necessary. I also wrote to Regency and this was their response:

''Thank you for contacting Regency.

1.A damper block off plate is not needed, and is something we don’t even manufacture.

2.In very cold climates (climates with heavy and deep snowfall), some installations require insulation around the liner. Your installer would be the best person to recommend this.

3.There is no need to insulate around the insert, and this is not recommended."

I read this entire thread and it seems like many of you folks recommend these considerations for optimal performance. I don't want to do a half a##ed install on this right from the start and regret it later but maybe because I'm in such a mild climate they aren't necessary?

Also, do any of you think this stove is too complicated to install in a vacation rental? I'm a little worried about renters using it and making a mess of it.

Thanks in advance. I will definitely share my experiences with this if and when I get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) true, but it will improve heating performance, especially with an exterior chimney.
2) this is incorrect. code and ul rating determine the need for insulation
3) the stove maker has the final word here

We finally had our first burn in the fireplace. I have read this thread and followed all of the instructions I believe, but the temp never goes above 600 according to the condor thermometer. The cat is orange though. If I turn on the blower the cat temp drops and goes lower than 500 after a bit. I am closing down my cat and damper at about 500 degrees but after a few hours it is only at 600 on the thermometer. Any suggestions?

How's the wood moisture content if you know or how old. How much wood did you put in?

There is also a break in period and moisture in the stones inside. You also don't want it to get to hot for the first couple of burns.

How's the wood moisture content if you know or how old. How much wood did you put in?
Wood has been in our house for 2 years so it should be pretty dry. Since it was our first burn we started slow and built up a bit. Not fully loaded but I would say half or a little more. Even during the heat up phase with everything open I don't get it it above 550. It's been closed now with new wood in for about 30 mins and it's at 500. As soon as I turn the fan on low it drops 50 degrees. It was holding at 500 for awhile but then dropped to 450. That's when I put more wood in it.

The more burns the better it will get also as it gets colder outside you'll get a better draft and you start filling it with 7+ pieces of wood you'll easily get it to 1000+. Once you hit 500 and you close the bypass leave the main air open for about 10 min then close about 1/2 the temp will start going up, don't turn on the fan till the temp goes up. Where are you located? If temps are not down to 32 or lower in your area you don't want the stove temp to go too high, the house will be way too hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
The more burns the better it will get also as it gets colder outside you'll get a better draft and you start filling it with 7+ pieces of wood you'll easily get it to 1000+. Once you hit 500 and you close the bypass leave the main air open for about 10 min then close about 1/2 the temp will start going up, don't turn on the fan till the temp goes up. Where are you located? If temps are not down to 32 or lower in your area you don't want the stove temp to go too high, the house will be way too hot.
Thank you. I was closing both after it hit 500. Should I keep the main at halfback the whole time? Should I ever close it down all the way? I am near Pittsburgh PA. And the temp was in 30s to 40s last night and tonight it's supposed to frost. Got into 50s during the day so thought it would be good to do our break in burns now. The insert was installed in May so it has sat for 6 months before we could test it.

Keep the main air open till a nice fire is established then close to 1/2 then if desired almost closed. The more you close the longer the fire will last if you want a hotter fire open.

Keep the main air open till a nice fire is established then close to 1/2 then if desired almost closed. The more you close the longer the fire will last if you want a hotter fire open.
Thank you for the advice. It was around 11pm last night when the cat was no longer orange and I opened the main air to full to let it die down. I kept the fan on automatic/low and it was still blowing warm air this morning around 6am and the glass was still pretty warm to the touch. I just left it be. We may try another burn tonight when I get home from work. I guess considering I didn't have it fully packed, it did kick off pretty good heat for a good while. Thanks again for all your help. I need to get my ceiling fans replaced or fixed. There are two of them in the family room with the wood burner but when we flipped the switch to reverse the blades, one of the fans won't run at all. It works fine in the cool direction. I ran them on medium (which is not very fast for them) in opposite directions last evening to circulate the warm air and it did a pretty good job. I think we need larger fans in the room since the ceiling is double height. Need to figure out the calculations on that room for the most effective fans.

I noticed last night and tonight that only one side of the cat seems to be glowing. It's the side by the door latch that isn't glowing could that be the issue?
IMG_2958.JPG
b988520fc6115948bb2278e3e7f8a759.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.