Advise for wood burning insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

abisen

Nov 14, 2021
PNW
Greetings,

I am looking for a new wood burning insert for a masonry fireplace. Looking for some suggestions. I have a 3500 Sq. Ft. 2 story house and am looking for something that can keep the lower story warm as a secondary heat source. Planning to use it occasionally in Seattle, WA.

I really wanted to get the 26% federal tax rebate, but realized it may not be possible as 75% HHV efficiency requires some compromises like catalytic convertor and a small selection of offering.

Really like the look of Vermont Casting Montpelier II flush design. What are the other good alternatives that are similar in design and high quality inserts that I should check out.

Thanks,

Andy

Two thoughts. I haven’t read any reports of the VC insert. VC doesn’t have a great reputation when it comes to simplicity and durability. Insert looks like a normal tube stove design. That is. encouraging.

Other thought tax credit is nice but I was able to spend less than a tax credit eligible stove would have cost me after the credit.

Check out Osborn, and Pacific Energy. Flush insert really rely on the blower to move heat. Ones that project out more are more radiant and less reliant on the blower. Don’t go smaller than 2cu ft.

Stove supply is super short right now. Changes are good you are shopping for something to run next winter.

Get started on a good dry wood supply now.

Evan

The VC Montpelier II and the Quadrafire Expedition II are clones of each other made by HHT now. They are fixed-rate burn inserts with no user air control. Osburn, PE and Regency make good flush inserts.

@EbS-P I visited a couple of fireplace stores today and heard similar things about VC. Short version was they had great reputation, then they went bankrupt and went through multiple ownership changes.

Saw "Lopi Large Next-Gen Fyre" with 3 cu. ft. capacity. It looks nice and I believe is more than sufficient for our heating needs. Although it's expensive $5200 for the fireplace insert + $2050 for the install (includes 1 story insert of flue) + taxes (~$8K). Here the 26% rebate would make non-trivial impact :)

Hearthstone Clydesdale (although still not available) is listed for $4699 (MSRP). I would imagine the labor and other cost should remain similar. Would qualify for 26% rebate with lower MSRP would have been cool, but alas it's not available yet.

Ashford 25 and Sirocco 25 are smaller and Princess 29 is not the design I am looking for. So either I bite the bullet with a $8K install of Lopi or wait for Clydesdale.

@begreen I want to checkout Osburn but for some reason they don't have many dealers in Seattle. Nearest dealer is 30miles outside of city.

Check out the Pacific Energy Alderlea T5. I recently installed an older PE super insert and it far surpassed my expectations, I can only imagine how well a new one would work. I would definitely buy something that loads north to south, after having this I would never switch back.

Reactions: EbS-P
Finally got a quote for Blaze King Ashford 25. I am surprised that Lopi Next Gen Fyre is 25% more expensive than Ashford 25.

Ashford 25 also qualifies for additional 26% federal tax credit, has catalytic converter. But is a little smaller than Lopi.

Everything combined 26% federal credit, lower base price the difference is that Lopi will cost me
52% more than Blaze King.

I am leaning towards BK now, any reason why I should stick with Lopi? Other than the size of around 0.7 cu ft more for firebox.

Being in a warmer climate I knew I wasn’t going to burn 24-7. I chose not to get a cat stove. I didn’t see the advantage of low and slow when I have a half decent heatpump. When it’s cold its cold enough for a fire I want lots of heat. Not worrying about maintaining cat sounded appealing. I like watching the flames. Secondary combustion is really neat to watch.

All pretty little items to be honest. Ashford is a great product. If I could have justified the extra cost I might have chosen a Blaze King. Instead I went the cheapest possible route for a new insert. Spending less money was the right decision for me and probably you as well.

Evan