AHS units and smoke production

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireman77

Sep 20, 2008
Urbana, IL
HI, I'm new to the group and need some help.

I wish to buy a wood gun (it meets most of my needs). The biggest issue that I have, is that I live in town. My neighbors live within 50-100 ft from me and some are elderly. I need to know if the AHS units produce a lot of smoke, and is there a way to deal with any smoke issues so that I will not make my neighbors mad.

Thank you for any infomation that you can give me.

You should post this over in the Boiler room. The experts over there should be able to answer your questions better. As far as I know, the gassafier boilers like the Wood Gun are pretty clean burning.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, fireman. As Todd says, most wood gasification units produce little or no smoke under normal conditions. You need very dry wood and it's a good idea to have hot water storage, so that you can fire the boiler less frequently and run it harder, which is the most efficient and cleanest-burning way to do it. I can't speak for the wood gun, though it's the same basic design as my EKO, because I've never seen one operate. But I assume it's similar to the other boilers of similar design, such as the EKO, Biomass, Econoburn, Tarm, etc.

In all honesty, you can expect 15-20 minutes of smoke on start up of a new charge. After that, just steam, which is relative to the moisture content of your wood as well as the dew-point.

Patrick...are the Wood Gun's still on backorder until spring 09?

Yes and no. We are taking orders for spring delivery, but we are expanding our manufacturing space by about double, and have brought in some new management on the production side. We are very excited about our growing capabilities. Also, I occasionally have a few tweaks in the schedule I can work with.

Be sure to get your chimney up high. I don't know what Wood Gun recommends, but Tarm recommends at least 20'. A high chimney should minimize any neighbor issue even when you get some smoke.

jebatty said:
Be sure to get your chimney up high. I don't know what Wood Gun recommends, but Tarm recommends at least 20'. A high chimney should minimize any neighbor issue even when you get some smoke.

The Wood Gun doesn't require any chimney height. Tarm needs it because they need chimney draw. We do not.

Patrick... it is good to see someone on from AHS. Information on AHS boilers is somewhat limited on this site. What kind of efficiencies do you get in your multi-fuel non-gasification boilers?

d-bone20917 said:
Patrick... it is good to see someone on from AHS. Information on AHS boilers is somewhat limited on this site. What kind of efficiencies do you get in your multi-fuel non-gasification boilers?

It is nothing great for the multi fuels. somewhere around 60-70. When you see those numbers, it sure makes you appreciate gasification.

Yah, but that's still better than an OWB!!! :)

The Wood Gun doesn’t require any chimney height. Tarm needs it because they need chimney draw. We do not.

I think you misunderstood the point I was making, that if and when there is any smoke, a high chimney will put that smoke where bother to neighbors should be minimal. A low chimney with a breeze will put smoke right through the neighbor's windows.

jebatty said:
The Wood Gun doesn’t require any chimney height. Tarm needs it because they need chimney draw. We do not.

I think you misunderstood the point I was making, that if and when there is any smoke, a high chimney will put that smoke where bother to neighbors should be minimal. A low chimney with a breeze will put smoke right through the neighbor's windows.

Oh absolutely. My mistake, I thought you were just speaking of operational requirements. Generally, I suggest, even though it isn't required, having the stack go above your roof line.

PatrickAHS said:
d-bone20917 said:

It is nothing great for the multi fuels. somewhere around 60-70. When you see those numbers, it sure makes you appreciate gasification.

The math on this gets interesting. We'd all be much better off replacing 40% units with 60% units rather than replacing 60% units with 90% units. Reminds me of a fuel mileage example:

A small business owner has two vehicles, both driven the same number of miles per year.

One is a delivery truck that gets 12mpg. The other is a car that gets 30mpg.

He can afford to replace only one.

He can replace the truck with a new one that gets 15mpg, or he can replace the car with a hybrid that gets 50mpg.

He wants to be environmentally responsible. Which is the better choice for fuel savings?

I love math a quiz
This one is easy, the truck.
Now if I could only spell.haha

Hello all...

Just found this amazing site.. Found it on Heating Help.com

I own AHS E-250 steam option and so far I love it. Smoke production is relatively small in the beginning with a new charge. As soon as it comes to temperature it turns to steam and no smell for my neighbors. This system is great, its efficient, economical, and easy to operate. I went from 1700 gallons of oil to a projected 29 face cord. A good weekends worth of work:{) This system does work and I do recommend to anyone interested.
P.S. Installed myself.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Dry steam.

AHS makes a steamer? I didn't know that. What's the btu rating on yours--250K?

Where are you at in CNY?

Just North of you in Poland. And.... its snowing!!! Yes the 250 does make steam with some additions by the manufacturer. Rating is 230,000 steam which ironically is sized perfectly with my EDR. One pipe parallel flow, dry return. I installed last month after a local company "was to busy". Nice to see someone local.

Eric.. How do you like your Orlan?

I'm really happy with it. Living as I do in the village, I needed something that burns clean. I'm getting the new controller in a few days, and that should be fun to play with.

I went to Albany today and the hills around Frankfort/Illion were white with snow. Quite a bit of wet stuff on the Thruway, but nothing sticking...yet.

Wife was in Morrisville, at the Aqua Culture Center squeezing trout for eggs.... I wanted mine sunny side up %-P . Any ways she stated there was three to four inches on passing cars. They say friday will be 50. Oh Well so much for winter.

Todd said:
You should post this over in the Boiler room. The experts over there should be able to answer your questions better. As far as I know, the gassafier boilers like the Wood Gun are pretty clean burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.