Air compressor advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Air nailers and small home tools are what pancakes are for. Think, hard wood floor installation, trim, roofing, ect...

If you think you might run pneumatic tools in the garage like grinders and wretches,,the bigger the better.
The only wrench I'd definitely like to run is an impact driver to run the lugs off and on the car and tractor, with the occasional attempt at freeing locked nuts and bolts. And I don't do any of that frequently. My preference is to get just enough tool to get the frequent jobs done, and let time, effort and muscle make up the gaps for infrequent tasks. I'm leaning more towards the small compressors than original ones I mentioned in my first post that I suppose I thought were medium ones, which probably couldn't handle the big stuff anyway, but give up a lot of portability.

Reactions: Highbeam
The only wrench I'd definitely like to run is an impact driver to run the lugs off and on the car and tractor, with the occasional attempt at freeing locked nuts and bolts. And I don't do any of that frequently. My preference is to get just enough tool to get the frequent jobs done, and let time, effort and muscle make up the gaps for infrequent tasks. I'm leaning more towards the small compressors than original ones I mentioned in my first post that I suppose I thought were medium ones, which probably couldn't handle the big stuff anyway, but give up a lot of portability.
You'll be fine with a 6gal. If you get the impact get one that's 400+ ftlbs. Even though lug nuts are torqued to 125 or so, a 250lb wrench won't usually break them loose.