air starved

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martin934

Dec 12, 2013
MA
I have a vermont castings winterwarm small. Have had since 2006. Has worked well with regular maintenance. Lately is has been smoking back into the room like crazy when the door opens. Usually a chimney clean does the trick. This time no dice. When the chimney sweep didn't work, I called a professional sweep. Cleaned again, says it is clear.

I'm focused on the primary air control on the side of the unit. the unit seems air starved. Simple lever that raises and closes a damper over a door. The air inlet seems to be under the burn area in the fire box, near the cleanout (pictured below.) I can't figure out how the air gets into the firebox. There is a lip. I'm wondering if cleaning it out with compressed air will help? That large flat head screw on the front side of the box won't budge, but seems to be part of the entire side anyway.

The secondary air inlet (pictured below) is open. So I don't think it's contributing to the problem.

VC doesn't answer email and the dealer that sold it to me has been unresponsive. I'm on my own.

20131211_195257.jpg 20131211_195334.jpg 20131211_195306.jpg 20131212_174103.jpg 20131211_195257.jpg 20131211_195334.jpg

Reactions: K_G_1
Did you ever figure out anything with this problem? I have the same stove and am suffering from a similar problem with mine.

Kevin

Did you ever find your problem? I have a WinterWarm Small, but it is working fine. Don't want to start handing out advice if it is not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.