Air tight vented through Hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weistk

Dec 14, 2007
Ottawa Valley, Canada
Hi, hope I am not repeating here!

I am going to re-install an airtight Regent model F110S ( I think) in front of an old open hearth(since closed). It was originally installed by a "professional" but after removing it and installing a Pellet Stove in it's place, I'm not sure how professional he really was. So now the pellet stove Harman P61A is coming out to go downstairs in the family room, it really needs it! I want to re-install the wood stove, we got geo-thermal installed after last years pellet shortage/price fiasco here in Ontario, Canada.
The old opening for the fireplace is simply filled with insulation and has bricks piled up in the opening. The Regent vent pipe originally went through the front of the hearth about 5 1/2 feet up through a thimble into a clean out "T" and up a stainless flex pipe up about 20 feet inside the chimney and then a cap to keep the birdies out. What I really would like to know is about securing the thimble in the hole 5 1/2 feet up the hearth front which was very roughly opened by the "Pro" what are my options, he had simply packed roxul insulation around it and mortared it at the front. Any link to a website for DIY would be appreciated, or just an explanation is also appreciated.

Also need advice on properly doing something with the old hearth opening!

Thanks in advance,
Weistk

Status
Not open for further replies.