Airgap where woodstove collar meets the chimney stove adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDurdin

Feb 15, 2018
Kingston, NY
I have been using my stove now for a month or two and everything is going well now except I hear a small amount of air being sucked up through a gap where the collar meet the stove pipe adapter. Its at the rear of the collar. Is there a cement, caulk, or rope I can use to fill this in?

In the pictures, you can see the stove collar is angled at the rear and does not create a tight fit with the adapter.

Please see pictures (curtains are no longer there)

Attachments

• IMG_20180316_131218064.jpg
    IMG_20180316_131218064.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20180316_131453453.jpg
    IMG_20180316_131453453.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 226
Is that a stovetop adapter? They usually have a longer inner peice than that. You may need to trim back the outer wall to allow it to go in further

Reactions: kennyp2339
You may not need it. You can also wrap the collar with with the thin glass gasket to form a tight seal. Most here will say you don't need a tight fit, but I think it's needed.

Looks like Selkirk DSP from menards/Lowe’s..
The fit and finish on this stuff is pretty poor. Did you try it without the adaptor? Sometimes the pipe fits the flue collar better than the adaptor for double wall pipe. We’ve got a real good way to make this connection, but it won’t work with this pipe unfortunately.