Alcoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chimneychick

Chimney Chick Tweets
Hearth Supporter
Hello Everyone.

I have run into a question from a potential client that I know the answer to but need to know if any of you have run into this or have a Code Reference.

Client is installing an old 1980's 36" clearance woodstove into his old Prefabricated fireplace cantilevered opening. So he is calling it an alcove. He has cleaned it up real nice but I am still not sure on this one

He has metal shielded the insides of the alcove and left a 1: airspace behind the shields but is not leaving it open at the front sides. He is 1" off the floor and 5" off the ceiling.

I do not think this is allowable but need your opinions.

Attachments

• Alcoves
    3.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Alcoves
    5.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 137
According to NFPA-211, No. The 1" clearance is required on the PERIPHERY. See the illustration.

Attachments

• Alcoves
    upload_2018-12-6_16-34-9.png
    321.7 KB · Views: 108