Almost made a decision...my brain is broken.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mentioned old 6" pipe through the brick already... Can't you use Selkirk DT or similar with exhaust pipe on the inside and an air void around it for the OAK? Not sure exact diameter of DT ...

Thanks, LakeGirl! I will go through this later tonight when we settle in and wait for Santa to arrive with a big fat check to pay for the new stove (ha! I wish!). But, seriously, I will look this over before Thursday. I want to have some information on hand for the dealer so I can try and figure out what he is planning. He did mention that the Harman OAK wouldn't work (not sure of reason, will find out Thurs) but I'll have to follow up and see if he's planning on doing what you suggested.

Thanks again!!

So there are days that you go trlhrough 4.8 bags??

I couldn't tell you, as I don't really track my pellet usage in terms of how many bags per day that I'm using. My wife constantly scoops pellets in from the bucket we have next to the stove, and I schlep them in from the garage and dump them into the bucket. This is my first season burning with the P68, so I'm still not entirely sure that the 5 ton I purchased is going to be adequate. I burn 24/7 and only turn the stove off to clean or if the temperature warrants there not to be a need for it. As of today, I still have three full ton, and about 9 bags left from the 2nd ton I've burned. I suspect it's going to be close. Fortunately, Home Depot is less than a half mile from my house, so if I need to grab more pellets later in the season, it will be easy enough to do so. Given the larger stove, I may well have to start buying 6 ton per Winter.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell you, as I don't really track my pellet usage in terms of how many days per bag I'm using. My wife constantly scoops pellets in from the bucket we have next to the stove, and I schlep them in from the garage and dump them into the bucket. This is my first season burning with the P68, so I'm still not entirely sure that the 5 ton I purchased is going to be adequate. I burn 24/7 and only turn the stove off to clean or if the temperature warrants there not to be a need for it. As of today, I still have three full ton, and about 9 bags left from the 2nd ton I've burned. I suspect it's going to be close. Fortunately, Home Depot is less than a half mile from my house, so if I need to grab more pellets later in the season, it will be easy enough to do so. Given the larger stove, I may well have to start buying 6 ton per Winter.

When you said you ran it full throttle that's why I asked. That is what you would use in a 24 hour period if this is true. I have a similar size stove and I can tell you I never go full bore. I am in the same state and use about 5.5 tons a year.

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give an update on the pricing. I'm guessing his install/venting price is a little high - but he's been good to us and is pushing to get the stove installed as soon as he gets it in because he knows we are living with minimal heat, plus, I promised him some of my husband's freshly roasted coffee :p

+Stove: $3599
+OAK (not Harman): $94
+Vent: $540
-$200 ($100 Harman website - $100 dealer matched coupon)
-10% vent (~$50)
+Tax: 252
+Install: $550

He is not using the harman OAK because the pipe vents out high and it will look ugly with a big tube coming up. They are going to drill a hole through the brick hearth wall and side of house for the OAK -- down lower rather than up high

Hopefully, we will get a call for install before the next big storm :)

Holy crap! 5 grand

I actually paid a bit less for my P68, and that included the nickel trim kit and the Harman OAK.

I actually paid a bit less for my P68, and that included the nickel trim kit and the Harman OAK.

I know it's a bit expensive ($4780). Not ideal but I don't know what else to do. There are two Harman dealers in our area - he is one of them and we liked him better. Also, considering it is prime heating season, we shouldn't expect a discount at all. I am a little frustrated b/c I am going against my own rule - which is never let the store get the best of me. I always know my prices, deals, where to find a coupon. We bought a Weber grill this year that is normally $800 - but with deals, coupons and pricematching, we got it for $350. So to pay more than we intended for this bugs me, but ultimately, if we found someone cheaper we wouldn't have a local dealer to go to and in the time we waited to get the install, we would use up even more oil (that could easily make up the difference on a cheaper install)...so that is how I'm trying to rationalize it! Also, we have a higher pipe and it somehow needs to go from 6" wood stove pipe down to 3" pellet stove - so maybe the venting or install work takes a little more work than most. I'm not sure :/

+Vent: $540

Just curious, did they give you an itemized list for the venting? Mine was fairly cheap but I just needed a few pieces as it was vented horizontally with about 2.5 ft of pipe.

Regarding your comment about the 6" pipe to 3" pipe, they make adapters.

Just curious, did they give you an itemized list for the venting? Mine was fairly cheap but I just needed a few pieces as it was vented horizontally with about 2.5 ft of pipe.

Regarding your comment about the 6" pipe to 3" pipe, they make adapters.

I'm guessing he is going to use an adapter for for the 6 to 3" but somehow that means he could charge me more (maybe since it's not his "standard" venting kit?). I'm going to swing by this weekend and get the list for venting. I got the breakdown and and ordered the stove but then realized after the fact I forgot to get the itemized list.

Part of me doesn't want to know how much he's overcharging us. I hate that I like him and trust him to do the install but I'm second guessing his prices. There aren't really any other options if I want it soon. It's the cost of quick install, I guess...

If you are happy with his performance to this point and have heard positive about after install service, don't drive yourself crazy over pricing on venting. Pricing of venting depends on manufacturer, size (3" or 4"), requirements of configuration, adapters, his mark-up and relatively quick install.
No way it will compare to a horizontal install for cost which has the minimal of components required.

No way it will compare to a horizontal install for cost which has the minimal of components required.

Hence the reason for an itemized list. There's no harm in doing one's due diligence and checking it. Some dealers will knock off $ on the stove only to make it back in other ways. Not saying that's what is happening here at all, and this dealer sounds like they are honest and straightforward. Just covering anything else I could think of for the OP.

Hence the reason for an itemized list. There's no harm in doing one's due diligence and checking it. Some dealers will knock off $ on the stove only to make it back in other ways. Not saying that's what is happening here at all, and this dealer sounds like they are honest and straightforward. Just covering anything else I could think of for the OP.
Thanks for the advice, MikeNH :) I will definitely get it this weekend. Cant hurt to ask. Dealer's been legit so far - I'm sure I'm not getting the greatest deal but for the reasons I mentioned above and I guess in the end, I'd rather overpay and get the job done right than get scammed on a cheap install

It's cold here but this morning, we are excited about the install (in a few weeks). Don't know when the next storm is going to hit so today, we are going to remove this old rusted wood stove pipe...looks fairly easy (famous last words)

20131228_110520.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.