Alternate Stoves Comparable to Jotul F100 Nordic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thachertom

Hi,
Now that the Jotul F100 Nordic is not EPA 2020 certified (made the mistake of not installing it a few years back when I wanted to), what other new wood stoves that are EPA 2020 certified do you recommend that has a large glass view of the fire and is a low BTU 15,000-30,000 stove that would be good for ambient supplemental heat for a 400 sq. ft. family room. The room already gets heat from the adjacent hot water baseboard in the attached kitchen but there is no direct source of heat in the family room. Looking to take the chill out of the room when the outdoor temperature dips below 20 degrees F and enjoy the warmth and look of a fire.

It’s a tough time to be shopping for new stoves especially small ones. Saw the 100 last year in person. A raised hearth would have drawn more attention to it. Anyway keep an eye out for used stoves. Jotul 3 cb ( ones without the cat) would fit the bill. If you have any natural gas or propane appliances the gas stoves look just as good. ( is it time to upgrade to a gas range? I’ve been thinking about that too as a reason to get a gas stove and justify the LP tank). I’d look at the Blazekings. A thermostatically controlled stove that you load one a day for that room might work.
Don’t be scared off by a stove less than 2 cu ft. You could learn to run it clean and slow with the right wood (read this as low but junk wood no one else will burn, Pine cedar cotton wood ect). My in-laws have an F400 in there large dining room in southern Maine. Less than 400 sq ft but open though to the living room via 6 foot double doors. It gets down right toasty but its still comfortable 7 ‘ away from the stove. So if you family rooms is well connected to other parts you could be ok with a Bit larger stove.
Wish I had a better answer.

evan

One dealer in my area is chirping that Jøtul is getting the nordic 2020 approved. If you really want that stove and can wait maybe email them and confirm. Other then the nordic, alderlea 1.2, green mountain 40 or hearthstone Craftsbury possibility could work. Scratch the alderlea, is not 2020 certified either.

Are the morsos epa certified? Maybe the 1410?

Yes, the Morso 7110 is still for sale and a nice 1 cu ft stove. A bit larger is the PE Alderlea T4 LE.

Perhaps the new Vermont Castings Dauntless or Aspen C3