Alternative to Woodgun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SMD

Dec 12, 2017
Batesville, IN
Hi,

I've been running a woodgun E200 for 7 seasons- it's done great for me. Now I am building an outside garage that will take some heating, and I am moving the woodgun to this garage so I can get the mess and fire danger out of my house.

Considering upgrading the e200 to an e250, but wanted to get an opinion or two from here before doing so. What are my options for a unit similar but better than the woodgun? Meaning I can throw wood in it, turn the switch and walk away? Needs to be pressurized, and I love the DHW coil in the wood gun.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reactions: Smithers
I'm not aware of anyone else still making a wood boiler with a tankless coil option - anyone? The Fröling S3 and Effecta Smart boilers that we sell require thermal storage and would be good choice if that is what you are looking for. The S3 is especially easy to use. I don't think Econoburn requires thermal storage and I'm not sure about Varmebaronnen.

Why does it have to pressurized? Couldn't you run an open system with a water to water heat exchanger?

If you go open a GARN fits the bill of throw in wood, light fire and walk away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm not aware of anyone else still making a wood boiler with a tankless coil option - anyone? The Fröling S3 and Effecta Smart boilers that we sell require thermal storage and would be good choice if that is what you are looking for. The S3 is especially easy to use. I don't think Econoburn requires thermal storage and I'm not sure about Varmebaronnen.
I am a big Effecta fan. As far as throw wood in and forget it, I can say that I travel for days at a time, I just make sure we have wood indoors and my wife starts 1 fire a day (2 on the coldest days) and we never use propane - doesn't get much easier.

Pros & cons of Garn:

I own a Garn 2000 and and have operated it for 2 seasons... the good thing about Garn and what initially attracted me was the simplicity of the system. It is great to just fire it up once a day ( sometimes twice in extreme cold) and have it meet heating needs. I like my Garn but if I knew what I know ...

The Garn is an open water system (nonpressurized) and therefore is very susceptiple to corrosion (oxidation and electrolysis. . Closed systems are more durable and don't have the corrosion problems that open systems can have.

Be aware that though a simple system the Garns requires regular maintenance every spring and fall, changing gaskets, cleaning flues, sending off water samples every 6 months and spending $800 plus on chemicals to treat the water if necessary.

Hi,

I've been running a woodgun E200 for 7 seasons- it's done great for me. Now I am building an outside garage that will take some heating, and I am moving the woodgun to this garage so I can get the mess and fire danger out of my house.

Considering upgrading the e200 to an e250, but wanted to get an opinion or two from here before doing so. What are my options for a unit similar but better than the woodgun? Meaning I can throw wood in it, turn the switch and walk away? Needs to be pressurized, and I love the DHW coil in the wood gun.

Thanks,

Andrew[/QUOTE

Woodgun is an excellent choice, and you are right ..needs to be pressurized.

Why does it have to pressurized? Couldn't you run an open system with a water to water heat exchanger?

If you go open a GARN fits the bill of throw in wood, light fire and walk away.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You are right, like a Garn you can run an open non pressurized system ... but that system will corrode much much much faster then a pressurized system because of its exposure to oxygen.

It’s all in how you maintain it, I’ve followed the Garn/wood boiler solutions recommendations for 10 years, some years spending 350$ most years 0-200$. I have no reason to believe it won’t last another 10 years. Gaskets, refractory ect are normal wear items for any boiler, pressureized or not.
outdoor boilers seem not to last long due to acidic ash/ creosote pitting steel surfaces from wet wood and poor maintainance habits more so than water treatment issues.
There are benefits to a pressureized system, less prone to water issues, npsh, less flatplates needed if at all meaning no temp drops from source to emitters, can safely charge storage to higher temps. I’m not going to get into the ford/ Chevy thing to each his own.
However each will perform better with storage, regardless of the fact woodgun says it’s not necessary, for that alone I’d keep researching.

Don't go into this believing a Wood Gun is a low maintenance unit. Lots of hardware hanging on it compared to the Euro boilers.