am i at risk if i do this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
i have wood on my patio that has a 3ft overhang the wood is covered with a tarp on the top and 90 percent of the front and sides i have three cords that are stacked with about three feet in between each can i put a fan in between them to aode in drying i can't see the fan getting wet it is on a pedestal but will moisture from rain screw fan or me up? (zap me)

Good chance. If the fan your using is not rated for outdoor use, it will prolly corrode or meet an early death due to parts, oxidizing, corroding etc.
I wonder if they make an out door rated fan? The ones they use on the football fields have mist coming out of them, they must make something.

DriftWood said:
Make sure you have it plugged into a ground fault outlet. Water , YOU and eclectic anything don't mix.

How do you know he and eclectic don't mix? :p

110 / 60 hurts enough when you are dry, when wet its potentially terminal! great advice about the GFI outlet , but even with that i'd have serious reservations about having an electrical appliance out in the weather that wasnt designed for the purpose. ya might look in harbor freight or northern tool for a fan designed to be used outside if one is actually available. would be safer. be careful man, electricity is some dangerous stuff.

yes i would highly agree that electricity and people are not a good mixture. i do saltwater fish tanks set up and maintence. ive had my run in with shocks. lets just say probly one out of every 5 tanks i clean i get shock iether due to user error or my stupidity. ive even had people call and ask for the tank to be cleaned. but when i arive i see that there was a electrical fire and cant understand how the fish tank is still on the stand with the back of the stand burnt right out. holmes makes a heavy duty double insulated fan. it states right on the box doulble insulatedhigh performance fan.these fans last for ever and will not corode. from what ive learned is that there is no item on earth more destructive than salt water it will even eat drywall and paint over time . not to menton what it will do to mirrored walls. but people never listen when some one has a suggestion to make. just do it my way. the customer is always right

...if it's a 480V 3-phase pedestal fan I wouldn't recommend it for sure... :p

IMHO, a fan 'drying' wood in January isn't going to make a cent worth of difference in how dry the wood is this season. The wood should be dry by next season regardless of the fan, so why bother? If it is just surface moisture that you are trying to get rid of, it may be easier to just make a place indoors to set your wood a day or two before you need it. It will dry and add some humidity to your air.

iceman said:
i have wood on my patio that has a 3ft overhang the wood is covered with a tarp on the top and 90 percent of the front and sides i have three cords that are stacked with about three feet in between each can i put a fan in between them to aode in drying i can't see the fan getting wet it is on a pedestal but will moisture from rain screw fan or me up? (zap me)

IF the tarp is covering the entire wood pile like a big tent, then the fan would possibly be OK, though I don't really feel safe reccomending it, especially if it isn't on a GFCI protected outlet / circuit that has been recently tested for proper function.

However it also sounds like you are covering WAY to much of your pile, the tarp should ONLY cover the top of the pile and a little down the sides, ideally it should be propped away from the pile a bit so air can circulate under it, but the wood is protected from any water runoff and as much precipitation as possible, WITHOUT covering the sides. This will give the best drying, certainly better than you will get with coverage on the sides.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.