Am I making the proper wood stove choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barn86

Aug 14, 2022
Montana
Floorplan below. Single story, with loft. wall separating the living area is a full size structural wall so the ceiling will be higher in that area than the hallway.

We are expecting to only really use the stove to heat the living/kitchen/dining area with excess heat (quickly) moving towards the loft and assisting there.

We will have radiant throughout with probably 3 zones.
- Main area
- Office/hallways
- Bedrooms

Ceiling height will be about 9 to 10'

Local dealer steered us towards the Jotul F45 V2. We live in zone 5a, very close to 4b, with a massive amount of doug fir/larch (as shown in the photo below, plus other Fir/Larch I need to take down, and then 10 acres of full woods that will need cleaned out... )

The wife would LOVE to go with an enameled, red, stove in the corner due to our design, but we also don't want to run too large of a stove due to creosote buildup...

Questions:
  1. Jotul F45 V2 a good stove?
  2. Does that seem properly sized?
  3. How difficult is it to make the wife happy with the color of the stove if we stay with F45? (does high temp enamel paint actually work)
  4. Dealer carries Ironstrike, Jotul, Lopi, and Pac Energy, do they make one you would recommend over the F45?
  5. Anything else you have to suggest.
Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 1.46.24 PM.pngIMG_2199.jpg

Jotul’s are good stoves and an enamel stove works great. I thought the F45 v2 only comes in black and not enamel?

Maybe the stove should be centrally located. I'm not sure why people stick their stoves on an outside wall, and especially in a corner...

Maybe the stove should be centrally located. I'm not sure why people stick their stoves on an outside wall, and especially in a corner...
More central would be better. My guess is the furniture arranger chose that location. It is not a good location from a flue standpoint.

The F45 is a good choice. So would the Lopi Endeavor. If she want a cast iron look then the PE Alderlea T5 would work. If red is her heart's desire, the Super is available with a red porcelain jacket.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 2.09.01 PM.png

Is there a ceiling fan in the LR? It will help with heat distribution and heat buildup in the loft.

I think the stove and the location can both work, but being a rancher, you might resolve chimney height challenges by swapping the stove and the dining table, to put chimney penetration closer to roof peak.

Like real estate, picking the stove's location is more important than the choice of stove, as swapping stoves is relatively easy. I had five stoves go thru this house in three or four years (2012 - 2015), it's really not a big deal. But changing the location... that's a PITA.

Pick a stove you and your wife like, and one that has few trouble reports, and the rest is gravy. The F45 seems to get relatively positive reviews, and Jotul is a quality brand.

edit: hah, I see begreen posted the same, while I was busy typing. ;lol

Jotul’s are good stoves and an enamel stove works great. I thought the F45 v2 only comes in black and not enamel?
They do... that's why I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to make the wife happy :)
More central would be better. My guess is the furniture arranger chose that location. It is not a good location from a flue standpoint.

The F45 is a good choice. So would the Lopi Endeavor. If she want a cast iron look then the PE Alderlea T5 would work. If red is her heart's desire, the Super is available with a red porcelain jacket.

View attachment 308384

Is there a ceiling fan in the LR? It will help with heat distribution and heat buildup in the loft.
There are ceiling fans in all rooms. The main area is either going to have two: above "living room" and "dining" area, or one large central. There will also be one in the loft. We may increase the size of the loft from 13x15 to 13x30 during construction if it isn't a huge expense to do.
I think the stove and the location can both work, but being a rancher, you might resolve chimney height challenges by swapping the stove and the dining table, to put chimney penetration closer to roof peak.

Like real estate, picking the stove's location is more important than the choice of stove, as swapping stoves is relatively easy. I had five stoves go thru this house in three or four years (2012 - 2015), it's really not a big deal. But changing the location... that's a PITA.

Pick a stove you and your wife like, and one that has few trouble reports, and the rest is gravy. The F45 seems to get relatively positive reviews, and Jotul is a quality brand.

edit: hah, I see begreen posted the same, while I was busy typing. ;lol
Yea, the location isn't perfect, but it gives us the most space... the window you see on the left wall is going to be a slider that opens to a patio. the only other location would be the same wall, other corner (not by door) but then that makes a tv area "weird"... that corner has best overall use and technically covers all the entrances to the house.

There's a fun game to be played with the layout of this house... the "right" side is an attached 30x50 shop area, so that will have only partially exposed walls... It has occurred to me that if I wanted to spend more money, I could put in some ducts through the ceiling and a blower in them to pull hot air all the way to the back rooms, but I probably won't do that as glycol based hydronic w/ a propane based boiler will definitely keep those warm enough.

Regarding roof lines/vent... That roof is sloped from right to left, however there's not a "simple" spot other than that corner for roof line purposes... it's 30' from the "right" top and 22' from the "bottom" top.
1674600600212.png

View attachment 308384

What's the ultimate difference between the T5 and the T5 Classic... if I could get my hands on a classic?

My PE Vista is in my game room, corner setup with class A chimney going through back wall and 20 feet up. Aesthetically it looks great and no problem cooking us out of our 1,900 sq ft cape. The stove faces the kitchen so moves warm air well in our open floor plan.

What's the ultimate difference between the T5 and the T5 Classic... if I could get my hands on a classic?
The Classic cast iron is enameled. And I just found out there is a sunset red enamel.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 8.07.47 PM.png

Reactions: Woody Stover
One feature that I know could work very well is to have a break through in the wall above the kitchen sink about the same width as the sink. This gives advantage of the light and view of your great slider while working inthe kitchen. It also can help keep someone there connected to goings on in the living room even patio, all without infringing on wall cabinet space.

While looking at that possibility check out the space on same that 10’6” wall between the propsed sink opening and the corner on the dining room side of that wall. That could be a more central stove location in a space that may not be much missed. It looks like a chimney would clear the roof peak. That concept, thought out by my wife, worked well for us in a similar space in our last house. We chose a brick chimney then. I would go with class A if doing it today. Said wife just suggested all drawers for under counter cabinetry, more storage with easy access.

1674626913899.jpeg 1674627001881.jpeg

I'd put a stove here if it were my build. Not totally familiar with drawings though, so may not be suitable.
The heat will go straight upstairs, circulate around your living area, you'll see it from the kitchen and will be best placed to send some heat up the hallway.
Tom.

stove.png

Wow the PE T5 is a great looking stove! My dealer did not have the Alderlea in their showroom. Love the large viewing glass. Even my Vista has the same viewing area as the larger summit @ 152 sq in.