Am I using wrong Craiglist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Do you use searchtempest? You can search a radius of CL. As with all deals i find you have to be constantly watching and ready to jump when they post. Too many resellers doing nothing but sitting in their sweats at home looking for these deals, just to repost for $100's more. I think it takes a while to find these deals or just get lucky. I have found 2 in the last 5 years and i watch it almost daily. Good luck with the search.

Reactions: fespo
I'm reading here stories of people buying decent used units on Craigslist. I'm looking for something inexpensive but solid to throw in my basement for 2 years now. All I get is this or overpriced units that cost $ 200 less than new. Just venting. Aghh.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/for/d/forced-hot-air-wood-stove/6382766145.html

Wrong time of year. Also depends on your area. Right now in my area it's the same situation. Also quality PRE epa stoves in our area cost more then epa stoves alot of the time.

Keep patrolling, but its very hard to find anything worthy at a decent price this time of year, late winter, spring and early summer are the best times to find a good wood burner.
I've purchased a ton of equipment / attachments for my tractor on CG and saved a ton of $$. I got a 16ft 12 ton equipment trailer that is like new w/ title paperwork for $1,500, I very good 3 point wood chipper, a 3 point plow, a very well maintained atv, and a 1 season used snow plow for my truck, all at a steal, all with paper work to prove it was not "hot" You just have to have patience and usually you will find something when you least except it.

You have to keep looking. I found my stove on Craigslist ( enamel hearthstone shelburne) listed for $500(receipt for new purchase was over $2000). Seller had no picture posted and not even brand or model listed. Just “wood stove like new” took a chance and emailed and once I knew what it was drove 3 hours in a snowstorm to pick it up. Guy took another $100 off to come same day and gave me a wood rack, tool set, wood carrying bag and firestarters too.

Like everything else its best to buy out of season or end of season
Right now is wood burning season so if i were looking my expectations would not be high, but thats not to say you cant fined a needle in a haystack.. just keep looking

As others have said . . . wrong time of year to look for a woodstove.

Around here if you want to buy a snowmobile, snowblower or woodstove the time to start searching is Spring when other folks are hoping to sell these items to buy an ATV, rototiller or air conditioner . . . change things around for the Fall.

If there is any hope, and it's a possibility, you may get someone wanting to make a little cash for the holidays and they may decide to part with that stove they haven't used in a while . . . or that stove they purchased a month or two ago and are now convinced is junk since it doesn't burn like their 1978 woodstove.

Reactions: ddddddden and fespo
Do you use searchtempest? You can search a radius of CL. As with all deals i find you have to be constantly watching and ready to jump when they post. Too many resellers doing nothing but sitting in their sweats at home looking for these deals, just to repost for $100's more. I think it takes a while to find these deals or just get lucky. I have found 2 in the last 5 years and i watch it almost daily. Good luck with the search.

This. For any purchase over about $50, I usually first try to find it on CL using searchtempest. But that means 1. Determining how far I'm willing to drive, and 2. Doing a quick search at least daily. Kind of like checking my email. Also, if it's your style (it is mine, but I know not everyone likes doing this), you find the best deals usually when you majorly low ball. Occasionally you will find someone who will be willing to take hundreds or even more off their price, just because you were the first offer they got. If you give someone a really low ball offer, they will rarely agree, but they will often reply with the lowest amount they will take, which is really what you're after in the first place.

I see you're in CT. Here's a Jotul F600 Firelight, as an example, that's selling for $1550. If I were still looking for stoves, I might offer him $600, just to see what he would say. You never know.

Edit: I forgot to include the link - https://newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/d/jotul-600-firelight/6400002530.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
I am one of the people I guess that has good luck on Craigslist. Couple things you need to keep in mind, the first of which is the letters OBO.
Anytime I sell anything on there I add at least 200 to as much as a thousand depending on what I’m selling. If you list it for what you actually want out of it you will get less. You have to leave wiggle room. I almost guarantee that guy would take 700 or less if you showed up with cash and help to get it out.

The more bs involved with a sale the less wiggle room you’ll have.
If you say well I’ll take the stove next Tuesday after my brother in law gets out of work and then we will rent a truck blah blah blah.

But otherwise yes the time of year isn’t ideal but you can still save money on a good stove. I’ve bought and sold 2 or 3 stoves on cl and my current stove, a Jøtul castine was a trade on cl.

Reactions: ddddddden
I've done well selling and buying on Craigslist. It does take patience, diligence and a careful approach. As noted, this is a bad time of the year to be shopping for a stove, but there are good deals out there.

On Cl use saved search and it will email you every time one of your keys word come up. Like wood burner, wood burning stove, wood stove, wood burning.Use every keyword you can think of.Also Facebook market place and offer up. I bought 2 this year, clean them up, new paint, new gaskets, Sold for double plus, buyers were very happy and me too. Both buyers came from 2 1/2 hours away for a good deal

I'm reading here stories of people buying decent used units on Craigslist. I'm looking for something inexpensive but solid to throw in my basement for 2 years now. All I get is this or overpriced units that cost $ 200 less than new. Just venting. Aghh.
https://newhaven.craigslist.org/for/d/forced-hot-air-wood-stove/6382766145.html

Time of year is definitely important as people have said, but your other problem is that you are in CT, like me. Too many people here overrate the value of what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try Facebook marketplace a lot of stoves and inserts for sale on there. A few good deals as well. I just sold 2 inserts on there rather quickly.
And picking up a old model osburn 2400 insert that needs a few parts but real cheap.