American Harvest 6039 auger keeps shifting to side

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ginajo87

Nov 6, 2022
Bath, ny
We have an American harvest 6039, last year the auger would shift and hit the wall and stop feeding. We had the auger motor replaced by a technician the auger isn’t bent but it’ll feed 4 to 5 times then shift against the wall and that’s it we’ll clean it out and does it again. We’re new to this but even the technician was stumped. It’s getting cold soon and we have no idea what else to do besides weld the auger in. Anyone have this issue

The auger coupler might not be on straight or the tension/roll pin that holds the coupler to the auger motor shaft might be bent or broken. Also check the end of auger tube were it sits above the fire for carbon buildup. Mine was doing the same thing 2 years ago, I tried new motor and a new auger still did it ended up the coupler was to loose on the auger motor shaft would go just a hair crooked and that would allow the auger to walk to the side and bind up on the auger tube half section in bottom of hopper. I used a slightly bigger roll pin to tighten it up. I must have taken that auger motor off 5 times looking for the problem, I have a corner install and taking that motor off was a pain. Another thing to look for is any nicks on auger were is sits in the bottom of hopper if you have nick in that area it can get caught on the auger tube were it is cut in half.

coupler.jpgtension pin.jpgbuild up.jpg

My old stove has two ball bearings mounted back to back on flange mounts ... they control the auger's turn circle.. If your's has bearings and the auger is hitting the auger tube, my guess is bearings shot. These are not on the motor, nor the coupler ... they are at the basck of the auger in front of the coupler.

My old stove has two ball bearings mounted back to back on flange mounts
No bearings in the USSC 6039 auger path. Coupler attaches to auger motor shaft with tension pin, Auger Motor with coupler attached bolts on back of firebox, auger slides into the auger tube, rear of auger slides into slot of coupler, the push of the pellets keeps the auger set into the coupler. If I remember right my auger kept walking to the right, small nick in auger would get caught on the edge of the half tube in bottom of hopper, I tighten the coupler used a grinder to take nick out of auger and even used the dremel to smooth out the right edge of the half tube.

• Wow
Reactions: tbear853