American Harvest 6039 auxiliary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Krob

Jan 12, 2020
Kidder, Mo
I recently purchased a 6039 stove. It obviously hadn’t been cleaned for awhile. When I first started it I got error 3 which was not getting to 110 deg for room fan to kick on. Found the ash clean out were completely full. Cleaned that thoroughly and next time fired it and room fan came on as it should. Ran another 45 minutes and shut down again with error code 2.
the owner manual I pulled off the internet shows different controls than what I have. is there a manual that shows what the other style controls do and how to adjust. Particularly the auxiliary button and what it’s for. We are checking the auger now.

I recently purchased a 6039 stove. It obviously hadn’t been cleaned for awhile. When I first started it I got error 3 which was not getting to 110 deg for room fan to kick on. Found the ash clean out were completely full. Cleaned that thoroughly and next time fired it and room fan came on as it should. Ran another 45 minutes and shut down again with error code 2.
the owner manual I pulled off the internet shows different controls than what I have. is there a manual that shows what the other style controls do and how to adjust. Particularly the auxiliary button and what it’s for. We are checking the auger now.
At the top of the forum there is a sticky thread for USSC stoves. Here's the link: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ussc-troubleshooting.158667/

Trouble shooting and manuals for many stoves. Which control board do you have is it the A-B-C or 4 button control board? If you follow the link in my signature line there is some info on deep cleaning the 6039 and 6041 with pictures that go beyond what the company says or what you'll find on You Tube.

At the top of the forum there is a sticky thread for USSC stoves. Here's the link: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/ussc-troubleshooting.158667/

Trouble shooting and manuals for many stoves. Which control board do you have is it the A-B-C or 4 button control board? If you follow the link in my signature line there is some info on deep cleaning the 6039 and 6041 with pictures that go beyond what the company says or what you'll find on You Tube.
I’ll check that out.
one other thing I noticed was that o have a small fan that blows on auger motor every time it turns. That fan was squealing, so I looked at auger motors at several places, but none of them showed a fan on them and can’t find separate fan. Any idea if the replacement auger motor has fan with it?

I’ll check that out.
one other thing I noticed was that o have a small fan that blows on auger motor every time it turns. That fan was squealing, so I looked at auger motors at several places, but none of them showed a fan on them and can’t find separate fan. Any idea if the replacement auger motor has fan with it?
Depends on the motor manufacturer. Don't go cheap with the motor if you ever decide to replace it, they may say compatible but there are usually differences. Most important is the direction the motor runs and the amps or the timing gets off for running or not running. I'd try some oil on it, it is just there to help keep the motor itself cooler.

Which board do you have on that stove? 3 button ABC or 4 button?

Reactions: Ssyko
Depends on the motor manufacturer. Don't go cheap with the motor if you ever decide to replace it, they may say compatible but there are usually differences. Most important is the direction the motor runs and the amps or the timing gets off for running or not running. I'd try some oil on it, it is just there to help keep the motor itself cooler.

Which board do you have on that stove? 3 button ABC or 4 button?
4 button.
I’ll try some oil.
I’m at work right now, so not looking at the stove, but I don’t remember seeing those knockouts. Also, I have a sliding damper with handle under the door, so do I still have the fresh air tube in your pictures? I don’t remember seeing anything like that either. I will double check all of this when I get home this evening.
thanks so much for the assistance!

The troubleshooting/tech manual is posted in the US Stove sticky, here is your owners manual.

Attachments

• 6039 four button manual.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 288
I might add that the fan on the end of the auger motor shaft is basically worthless anyway. The motor don't run enough to get hot. Mine also has that. I believe the motors shipped that way to USSC. 17 years on the original with just a drop of oil on each bearing every spring.

I have replaced a couple 'agitator' motors and a room air fan but that is it. Combustion blower motor is original as well. Again, drop of oil in the bearings every spring (after disassembly and cleaning.

Everything else is original including the backer board.

4 button.
I’ll try some oil.
I’m at work right now, so not looking at the stove, but I don’t remember seeing those knockouts. Also, I have a sliding damper with handle under the door, so do I still have the fresh air tube in your pictures? I don’t remember seeing anything like that either. I will double check all of this when I get home this evening.
thanks so much for the assistance!

The 'knockout holes' are behind the backer board in the firebox. You should have or need to get electrical knockout plugs to fit them and keep them closed up except when cleaning behind the back wall which I suggest you do every cleanout (I do), I use a bottle brush and small paint brush back there plus I insert a small vacuum cleaner crevice wand down the right hole into the combustion fan box the suck out any fly ash.

The fresh air tube is on the back of the stove. It's not connected to the firebox when the stove is shipped but will need a length of automotive expanding foil heat riser hose to connect it (may be there from the previous owner, may not). The other end that is proud of the back panel on the unit is for the addition of an 'OAK' as they call it on here. I prefer to call it a fresh air kit or FAK as referred to in the manual. You connect that opening to a through the wall fresh air intake with heat riser hose as well. Better to use outside air for combustion the already heated room air. USSC sells the FAK kit online. on their website. Comes with everything you need but the heat riser hose which is available at any auto parts store. I presume there is an agitator in the burn pot which is needed for pellets or a corn / pellet mix. Straight corn negates the agitator but you will develop a clinker which needs to be removed often. If you run corn only I suggest buying a seconed burn pot and switching out ocassionally. Corn with pellets added negates that as very little clinker will form. How I run mine, 3 parts dried, cleaned field corn to 1 part premium hardwood pellets. The drier the corn is, the hotter it burns. The corn I burn is less than 10%RM so it burns really hot. The pellet addition keeps the fire under control so the stove won't kick the high limit and shut it down (safety feature).

Any questions, just ask. Firepot Pete and I have been running this model for almost 20 years now, we know exactly how they work and what is required to keep them working.

The hole for the FAK is right behind the firepot. It may have a cap on it and that will need to be removed or holes drilled into it to allow air into the burn chamber. To remove it you need to remove one of the side panels, I would suggest the right side as it doesn't have the control panel on it and then take a punch or screw driver and tap it off from behind. You can then either drill it or leave it off.

I drilled 4 1/4" holes in mine but like Pete says, you can leave it entirely off. Some people put a valve on the intake line for the outside air. I never did, don't know if Pete did his with a valve or not. You don't really need to throttle the intake air externally as you can dial down or increase the combustion air fan via the control board. I never had the need. I adjust my combustion air (forced negative draft) with the control board.

You guys are a wealth of knowledge about this stove. Thank you so much!
one question I have is can I find a low feed rate/ air mixture that I can keep my shop above freezing and using minimal fuel, the increase when I’m actually working out there?

The default PPH setting is 5.00 pounds per hour on HR9. If you run it on HR1, it will just idle all the time with just enough fuel to not go out (remote thermostat or not) and if you want additional output, just dial up the HR setting. You can go up to 9 and run the room air fan, agitator (if on pellets) and combustion air all on 'A' which is automatic or in technospeak, the alogrithm controls all the firing aspects while you control the HR or feed rate.

You can custom set the PPH fuel delivery alogrithm but it's complex to set. Just as easy to dial down the HR setting to one. reason why I say it's complex is because each heat range requires a different set parameter so if you custom set the ranges, you can wind up with too much PPH at a high setting and not enough at the idle setting (HR1) to keep it burning.

I know the programming access and I think Pete does as well but I'm not telling and you won't find that information anywhere that I know of and USSC isnt't gonna tell you either. I will say I have custom programmed mine in the past and it is involved and in the end I went back and refreshed my board to factory settings anyway.

I've found through trial and error that factory settings are as good as a custom setting 75% of the time and the remaining 25%, the custom programmed settings are better.

I guess the new ones with the cal rod igniters, running on a remote T'stat can shut down and relight as needed but mine cannot and I don't think Pete's can either because ours are manually lit (no cal rod ignition).

I'm on the fence about cal rod ignition anyway. Have a buddy with a Quad and he's always having issues with ash and ignition. With mine (and I presume Pete's,0a shot of hand sanitizer on top of some pellets and a wooden match and it's off to the races, no issue.

Sitting across the room chugging along on HR2 right now. 1-3 on pellets and corn. On the remote T'stat so the remote dials the HR up and down as needed. Other than cleaning every 3 days, pretty much turn key, just like it's been for almost 20 years.

Not pretty but stone reliable.

The hole for the FAK is right behind the firepot. It may have a cap on it and that will need to be removed or holes drilled into it to allow air into the burn chamber. To remove it you need to remove one of the side panels, I would suggest the right side as it doesn't have the control panel on it and then take a punch or screw driver and tap it off from behind. You can then either drill it or leave it off.
Ok, I drilled 5 - 1/4” holes and filled the upper 2 knockouts. Getting ready to try it again. Not sure if this will have any effect on my error code 2, but if it wasn’t burning correctly, maybe???
I haven’t hooked the combustion air up to the outside or even tied them together inside the unit. I haven’t found that small aluminum flex yet.

Reactions: Ssyko
Ok, I drilled 5 - 1/4” holes and filled the upper 2 knockouts. Getting ready to try it again. Not sure if this will have any effect on my error code 2, but if it wasn’t burning correctly, maybe???
I haven’t hooked the combustion air up to the outside or even tied them together inside the unit. I haven’t found that small aluminum flex yet.
Go to your local Autozone or O'Really or Pep Boy's or whatever and buy a length of expandable heat riser hose. It's the correct diameter. JC Whitney also has it online (if you want to wait. It will slip fit over the the intake tube and the transition nipple that leads to the outside of the stove as well. Use it for the tube to the outside air intake as well.

One little 'trick' I stumbled on to keep the hard carbon under control in the burn pot when roasting pellets or corn and pellets together or corn only is, reverse the direction of the 'agitator' rod in the firepot. The agitator or 'rouser' as USSC calls it, stirs the firebed and keeps the fire active.

Kind of involved but has excellent benefits as it eliminates most of the hard carbon buildup you will get and have to remove by soaking the pot in warm water and use a sharp putty knife to remove...

1. Remove the agitator rod
2. Remove the left side panel exposing the drive motor. be careful with the panel because the computer drive board is affixed to it. You can unplug the Molex connector, the T'stat connections (if you have a remote T'stat hooked up and the harness plugs as well and set aside.
3. Remove the steel cross bar that retains the drive motor, remove the spade terminals from the drive motor and remove the motor and drive extension.
4. Remove the field laminations from the motor itself taking care not to pull the armature out of the gearbox. You need to remove the outer motor bearing (2 screws). Once you have it removed, oil it.
5. Flip the field laminations 180 degrees. That will reverse the motor direction. The gearbox don't care which way it turns, all the internal reduction gearing are spur gears so direction of rotation don't matter.
6. Reinstall everything as you took it apart. Don't matter which leads hook to which terminals on the motor. it's AC not DC. Motor actuation is controlled by the brain box on the PC board.

When you reverse the agitator rod direction, the fuel bed will 'climb' the outside of the firepot instead of the inside. The outside of the pot is cooler than the inside so hard carbon formation is greatly reduced.

Found that out by accident a few seasons ago and all but eliminated my hard carbon in the burn pot issue.

If you are running straight corn like Pete does, the agitator is removed anyway and the pot becomes a 'clinker' pot.

In my case, I run field corn and pellets together in a 2-1 ratio, 2 parts field corn to 1 part hardwood pellets so I keep my agitator rod in the firepot. The pellets in the corn mitigate any clinker formation so my appliance runs like a conventional pellet only stove with the added benefit of burning a much higher BTU output fuel, shelled corn.

Pete will tell you, running corn delivers about half again as much heat for the same volume f fuel as does straight pellets. Corn burns much hotter than pellets so you can drop the PPH feed rate way down and still realize the full potential of the appliance.

I typically run mine no higher than HR3 on the OEM fueling alogrithm. Anything higher than 4 will cause the high limit on the stove to open.

Even if you run straight pellets however, the reversal of the agitator rod will mitigate hard carbon build up, a real plus as it's hard to remove from the burn pot.

I haven’t hooked the combustion air up to the outside

You said you drilled the 1/4 holes in the cap, I would not run stove until you hook up the outside air, The holes in the cap lead directly to the interior of your stove were the motors and wiring are. You need to add a short piece of flex pipe from the back of that cap to the rear of stove and then another piece from rear of stove to outside.

Error code 2 could be vacuum switch or vacuum problem. Check the rubber hose from vacuum witch to stove for cracks also remove hose from stove and see if it or the steel nipple are plugged with soot. Check front door seal by closing door on a dollar bill and trying to pull bill out should not pull out easily do this all around the door.

You said you drilled the 1/4 holes in the cap, I would not run stove until you hook up the outside air, The holes in the cap lead directly to the interior of your stove were the motors and wiring are. You need to add a short piece of flex pipe from the back of that cap to the rear of stove and then another piece from rear of stove to outside.

Error code 2 could be vacuum switch or vacuum problem. Check the rubber hose from vacuum witch to stove for cracks also remove hose from stove and see if it or the steel nipple are plugged with soot. Check front door seal by closing door on a dollar bill and trying to pull bill out should not pull out easily do this all around the door.

+1. You DO NOT want to run the appliance with the cap drilled but no heat riser tubing attached.

Error 2 can be all the above plus a fuel outage.

Reactions: FirepotPete
Every time I clean the interior of my 6039, which is every 3 days, I clean behind both HX plates on each side of the firebox with a bottle brush, pull the plugs on the back behind the ceramic board, brush in there, sweep all the residue out through the clean out slides in the bottom and then put the brush nozzle attachment on the shop vac and carefully clean the the nipple on the inside on the left side where the hose for the negative pressure hose fits up to the firebox because it can get clogged pretty easy (and result in an error 2 and shut the stove down). Then I take a crevice attachment and clean through both lower windows on the back of the stove inside and suck out all the fly ash.

Finally, I take the crevice tool and insert it into the combustion blower plenum and suck that out as well. I do that every 3 days. Once you get the routine down, it takes maybe 5 minutes tops. Finally, of course I clean the view glass with windex and a paper towel. I like to have a nice view of the fire and the glass will get dirty, no stopping that.

2 times every season I pull the cleanout on the exit Tee on the outside, dump any fly ash and do the leaf blower thing to the vent pipe.

My vent pipe extends all the way up the side of the house and stand proud of the roofline on the 2nd story about 12 feet so I have about 20 feet of vertical vent. My vertical vent is 4" diameter Duravent. Only place it's 3" is from the back of the stove to the transition Tee. Everything is 4" Duravent.

Doing it that way for about 20 years now and all my venting is original. In the summer, I take apart all my venting and brush it out inside and then pressure wash the interior and reassemble it.

Burning corn produces a lot more fly ash than pellets.

Ya the holes in the cap without the FAK/OAK hooked up could be a problem.

If I remember correctly years ago someone suggested that they are just frost/freeze caps/plugs from automotive blocks. Perhaps pop that cap off, take to the local auto parts store and see if it can be replaced until the outside air is connected.

Ya the holes in the cap without the FAK/OAK hooked up could be a problem.

If I remember correctly years ago someone suggested that they are just frost/freeze caps/plugs from automotive blocks. Perhaps pop that cap off, take to the local auto parts store and see if it can be replaced until the outside air is connected.

Pete... That is EXACTLY what the cap is, it's a freeze plug for an auto engine block. Any auto store will have them.

Took me a while to figure out what an OAK was on here. I'm used to FAK instead.:eek:

Pete... I'm giving all my 'secrets' away.....lol

• Haha
Reactions: FirepotPete
Pete... That is EXACTLY what the cap is, it's a freeze plug for an auto engine block. Any auto store will have them.

Took me a while to figure out what an OAK was on here. I'm used to FAK instead.:eek:
One thing I'll tip my hat to is the engineer from, or for USSC that designed that stove. Simple, replaceable parts, designed from what was already available at the time and for the most part, still available today.

I guess that's why they don't have field service people. At the same time they piss me off with the lack of documentation in the owners manual. The stove will do a lot more than what the manual tells the owner. They have actually pissed off users and lost customers because of it. Perhaps the lawyers that advise them told them not to give out all the secrets, IDK?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Yep, The brain box is very 'smart't. Maybe that is why a replacement board is so expensive. What other appliance runs on algorithm's to control every parameter. Of course USSC don't tell you about that. Probably becomes a liability issue. I'll give the hillbilly's in Cokeville a lot of credit. It's a excellent unit.

Once you unlock it's secrets, you can get it to run about any way you want on any biomass fuel. Everything except the burn pot (expensive), control board (expensive), the feed auger (not so expensive) and the agitator (not so expensive) are off the shelf parts that you can get anywhere and if you have basic mechanical ability they will run forever as you and I both know. Of course built your own pot, kudo's on that. Problem is, your pot only works with corn in a satisfactory manner.

Like any other stove, keep it clean and keep the venting clean and all is well.

It's not a pretty face (like a Harman) but they are very reliable units. Still haven't found the bearings but I will and when I do, I'll shoot you a pm with the catalog numbers.

I need to do a thread on rebuilding and maintenance of the drives. All my drive motors are original. I added grease fittings to the reduction boxes and I grease them yearly. Not into planned obsolescence.

I'm sure mine will outlive me.

f I remember correctly years ago someone suggested that they are just frost/freeze caps/plugs from automotive blocks. Perhaps pop that cap off, take to the local auto parts store and see if it can be replaced until the outside air is connected.

2 7/64" Steel shallow cup freeze plug, auto part number 2078 , (my failed attempt at drilling in a straight line)

Steel Shallow Cup Freeze Plug 2 764.JPG

Yep, The brain box is very 'smart't. Maybe that is why a replacement board is so expensive. What other appliance runs on algorithm's to control every parameter. Of course USSC don't tell you about that. Probably becomes a liability issue. I'll give the hillbilly's in Cokeville a lot of credit. It's a excellent unit.

Once you unlock it's secrets, you can get it to run about any way you want on any biomass fuel. Everything except the burn pot (expensive), control board (expensive), the feed auger (not so expensive) and the agitator (not so expensive) are off the shelf parts that you can get anywhere and if you have basic mechanical ability they will run forever as you and I both know. Of course built your own pot, kudo's on that. Problem is, your pot only works with corn in a satisfactory manner.

Like any other stove, keep it clean and keep the venting clean and all is well.

It's not a pretty face (like a Harman) but they are very reliable units. Still haven't found the bearings but I will and when I do, I'll shoot you a pm with the catalog numbers.

I need to do a thread on rebuilding and maintenance of the drives. All my drive motors are original. I added grease fittings to the reduction boxes and I grease them yearly. Not into planned obsolescence.

I'm sure mine will outlive me.
Ya I put the zerks in my gear boxes years ago. I followed the thread on the old IBC forum, that was a great how to for just about any gear box for any stove. I don't remember but you might have made that one?
I haven't greased the agitator gear box for years, since I don't use it.
Ya the clinker pot is pretty much for corn only but I still have the OEM pot and a couple of spare agitators in case I ever would go back to pellets. And I might just be doing that in the next few years as pulling the clinker everyday requires me to kneel in front of the stove and my hinges (knees) are getting pretty rusty. I don't have much problem getting down, it's the getting back up that sucks. I guess it's all about gravity at this point. LOL.

2 7/64" Steel shallow cup freeze plug, auto part number 2078 , (my failed attempt at drilling in a straight line)

View attachment 256359
LOL, it's grinning because it's nice and warm! Just remember, incoming air doesn't care if the holes are straight.

Reactions: SidecarFlip