Another anniversary date today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
On a different thread people were discussing the blizzard of 1978. Going back a bit further, I wonder how many might remember the blizzard of 1967. It started snowing for us on the 26th and continued into the 27th. I could not get our car into the driveway but was off the road that night. I figured I'd just leave it and it would be easy to get out to head to work in the morning. Ha! The next morning I had to go out a window because our doors were all drifted with snow up to the roof. We lived near a 4 corners and with the drifting that night, on the 27th I found the snow to be over 10' deep right in the middle of the intersection.

I remember that was the biggest snowfall I had ever seen to that date. We got something like 27" and I know those depths were also reported in Chicago. It was a very wide spread storm. The big ones I remember well are the 1967. 1971 and 1978. We've had some big snows since but nothing like those 3.

I was in basic training at Ft. Polk, Louisiana for the '67 one. First snow in south LA in anybody's memory. One day we were tramping through snow and the next day sweating. We joked that one day we trained for war with Korea and the next day we trained for Vietnam. The North Koreans had just captured the USS Pueblo.

Hard to forget the date you got snowed on in a green suit crawling on your belly in South Louisiana with a drill sgt. yelling at you. ;lol

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That was the year I bought the 1956 Packard Clipper. It was a tank with lots of weight and limited slip differential. For awhile me, Jeeps and VWs were the only ones getting around in that snowstorm.

Reactions: BrotherBart
Been a long time since I saw one of those Packards. They were tanks!

Don't remember the storm, but it is eerily close to 9 months before my birth date.;em

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.