Another cherry down and wood ID plz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plow Boy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
Iron Station, NC
I cut another cherry down today and was wondering if u guys could ID what type of cherry it is. We have them everywhere around here. The only name I have heard it called is wild cherry. I'm going to try to cut down as many as I can this summer. These things are like weeds!

. 004.jpg 005.jpg

006.jpg

Black Cherry. Great medium-heat fuel. Dries pretty fast but I would give it a year. Smells great splitting, stacking and burning. :)
Not a Black Cherry leaf on top of that round. ==c

Reactions: ScotO and Plow Boy
Not sure exactly where Iron Station, NC, is, but from what I've read, if you're in any kind of hilly, dry area, it's probably Black Cherry... They don't grow too wet in damp soil...

Reactions: Plow Boy
Absolutely Black Cherry.One easy way to identify older trees year-round is the scaly bark.Think 'burnt potato chips' kinda.My fav wood for the smoker & any other outdoor cooking.Great firewood & premier cabinet/furniture wood when size & appearance of logs allow it.

Sorry. I forgot to take pics of leaves. Got it split up. Man its hot!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373315151798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373315151798.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 145
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373315192863.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373315192863.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 131
Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
You can keep the heat but send the cherry! We have a decent amount of that here and usually cut some most every year. We also have lots of new ones coming up where we cut off some pines. We left one cherry standing and it is now spreading nicely. Those roots travel a long ways underground and it is not unusual to find new cherry trees coming up 50 yards or more from the main tree. It makes great firewood but not the best for holding a long overnight fire. Dries fairly quickly and should dry really fast in your climate.

Between the heat and the humidity I don't know which is worse. That little pile of cherry is all I could manage before I about stroked out.
One thing I like about those cherries is that they are long and very few limbs, and all the limbs are at the top like yellow pine.

Yeah I see what u are talking about Woody. I didn't even notice the oak leaf on top of the round. Sry

Great wood to load into your stove and just watch it burn. Nice color of flame and great aroma!

Aside from its aromatic attributes it burns exceptionally clean. Black cherry burns down to absolutely nothing. On straight cherry I can go 3 weeks without cleaning out an ash pan. Sugar maple can choke up the stove within 3 or 4 days. I know coaling is desireable and each wood has its place.
Black Cherry burning in the stove is great for those days when you are outdoors and able to enjoy its aroma. With a little chill in the air.

Just had a friend give me a truck load of black cherry - already cut into rounds! I split it a couple of days ago. Love the smell and it split pretty easy with the maul. I'm saving some pieces for campfires and the rest of the splits are going into next year's stacks.

I have found that cherry splits good if u just give it a week or so in hot weather. But is really stringy if u split right after u cut it down. Which is still no problem for the wood splitter. Just have pull them apart after they are split.

I've not noticed that with cherry but others have. It also dries fairly fast.

its not that bad, definitely not as bad as gum. just enough to be aggravating, it would help if the splitter went down a little more. I guess they do that for safety reasons.

Plz help identify I'm thinking walnut or maybe ash ?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373495096729.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373495096729.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 106
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373495122757.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373495122757.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 113
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373495158278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373495158278.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 102
Plz help identify I'm thinking walnut or maybe ash ?

Looking at the bark & growing in clumps like that,I'd guess you've got young Ailanthus/Tree Of Hell.Nasty stuff,heavy when green,really stinks (especially flowers & crushed foliage in summer),dries fast,leaves huge amounts of ash.I leave that stuff where its at,wont ever cut any or bring it home again.

Really Wow. Never heard of it. Is ailanthus its common name? I tried finding it in the online tree ident. and nothing really matched it. How big does it get should I cut and brush pile it?

I just seen u posted walnut bs. That is what I thought it was

Really Wow. Never heard of it. Is ailanthus its common name? I tried finding it in the online tree ident. and nothing really matched it. How big does it get should I cut and brush pile it?

It can get 24" diameter & 50 foot tall.The 2 biggest I ever seen were removed from my property in March 2000.40' + & 18",22" diameters.Plus a smaller one about 12" & 30 ft.Most around here in vacant lots,grassy edges & urban places are 12 to 18,people are gradually getting rid of them.It took 3 years before I had no more sprouts in the yard from the leftover seeds & from the roots near the surface,kept mowing & chopping with a mattock & finally were gone.I seen them get a foot diameter & 20 ft tall in 10 yrs or so,very fast growing,very weak & brittle also.Storms will bring them down quick.Most places now treat it as a noxious weed.Its very tenacious,I've seen 6inch tall sprouts growing out of cracks in asphalt or concrete.

Looks to me like a Kentucky Coffee tree.

A what?

Status
Not open for further replies.