Another day = another dollar closer to that new Fiskars.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
It was a bit cooler in the office today, and a nice breeze too. Still, it was warm enough to build up a nice crackful of sweat, but not too serious. $75 worth of firewood in this dead oak.

IMG_0003%2520%25281024x768%2529-732142.jpg

Bugs aren't too bad. No mosquitoes because we are a long way from any significant water. The ticks have been pretty thick this Spring, but while I am working I almost never get one on me. It's only later when I'm relaxing or walking the dogs etc. that the ticks crawl on me.

quads said:
$75 worth of firewood in this dead oak.

And another clean spot in the woods. Looks like a pleasant way to spend your day.

Hard to say for sure from the pic, but it looks like a mighty nasty poison ivy patch to the left of the log. I'll take bugs over PI any day.

lukem said:
Hard to say for sure from the pic, but it looks like a mighty nasty poison ivy patch to the left of the log. I'll take bugs over PI any day.
Nope, Hazel brush and raspberries. They are everywhere around here.

quads said:
lukem said:
Nope, Hazel brush and raspberries. They are everywhere around here.
Nevertheless, I believe there's a ton of Poison Ivy in your neck of the wood, correct?
Poison Ivy can't give you Lyme Disease...
What's the shovel for, quads? Are you going to lay the Truper to rest when you get the Fiskars? :lol:
Just kidding; It sounds like you regard the Truper as an instant classic even though you just got it. I know I'll never give up my Ludell axe...

Woody Stover said:
Nevertheless, I believe there's a ton of Poison Ivy in your neck of the wood, correct?
Poison Ivy can't give you Lyme Disease...
What's the shovel for, quads? Are you going to lay the Truper to rest when you get the Fiskars? :lol:
Just kidding; It sounds like you regard the Truper as an instant classic even though you just got it. I know I'll never give up my Ludell axe...
Not so much poison ivy way out in the woods, but it grows all around the house. Even pops up in the middle of the yard between mowing, just like dandelions. I'm not allergic to it though. All those years as a kid trout fishing knee deep in poison ivy, barefoot in shorts, built up my immunity to it or something.

Lyme Disease doesn't really concern me too much. I guess if I was going to get it I should have gotten it years ago. I think nowadays they just give you a couple days of antibiotics etc. for it.

The shovel is one of those 'just in case' things. It's fairly dry again, and it was really windy, so I carried it with me just in case a spark from the saw, or a stick on the ATV exhaust, started a fire. When it's really dry/fire weather I also have a bracket on the trailer to carry a big water can.

I noticed today that the Truper has a crack in the black plastic part of the handle by the head....all the way around! It has never had any over-strikes, and the handle still seems to be tight, but I have a feeling it's days are numbered. I still have my old faithful heirloom maul hanging in the garage and ready to go back into service anytime it's needed. So, you could be right about burying the Truper! But I am going to buy one of those Fiskars, now that they come with a full-size handle, if for no other reason than just to say I have one! HA!

Parents have tons of poison ivy all over their timber.Never bothered me that much.Stinging Nettle actually is more of a pain to me.

Not so much poison ivy way out in the woods, but it grows all around the house. Even pops up in the middle of the yard between mowing, just like dandelions. I’m not allergic to it though. All those years as a kid trout fishing knee deep in poison ivy, barefoot in shorts, built up my immunity to it or something.

25% of the population isnt affected by poison ivy, 25% are hypersensitive, the other 50% are normal, whatever that means. This is from my doctor, probably round numbers, Im sure. Im hypersensitive, can get it from just the pollen, if the cat walks through it and I pet the cat I break out.
Sounds like your in the lucky 25%, Im in the not so lucky 25%.

Thistle said:
Parents have tons of poison ivy all over their timber.Never bothered me that much.Stinging Nettle actually is more of a pain to me.

Same here. I hate those nettles. Poision Ivy Is easy to get rid of for me. I just sratch it a rub a little bleach over the itchy spot.

quads said:
I noticed today that the Truper has a crack in the black plastic part of the handle by the head....all the way around!
I'd think you'd be able exchange it for a fresh one, since you just got it...

Woody Stover said:
quads said:
I noticed today that the Truper has a crack in the black plastic part of the handle by the head....all the way around!
I'd think you'd be able exchange it for a fresh one, since you just got it...
Possibly. I might even still have the receipt for it. But, I usually don't have much luck with a second one in cases like this. If the first one was too weak for me, the next one usually is too. I took a picture of it and will post it in the gear forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.