Another ID Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mrd1995

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2020
North East, Pa
Came across this vine while doing some Poison Ivy thinning, I know the hairy vine in the back tight to the Cherry bark is poison. I am not familiar with the other vine, any ideas? I see a few hairs on the big vine, so I was wondering if it is just a very mature ivy vine? Our new woodlot beside having a boat load of EAB killed Ash we have a truck load of vine choked cherry and oak on the south side of our home. I am working on clearing some of the trees.

20200328_110927[1].jpg20200328_110940[1].jpg

Hard to tell without leaves, but my parents house had a similar looking vine that was called elephant ear...

Hard to tell without leaves, but my parents house had a similar looking vine that was called elephant ear...
I will have to check it out, thank you for the reply.

I was wondering if it is just a very mature ivy vine?
It's not PI. We have that stuff here, but I'm not sure if it's an invasive that needs to be slaughtered with high priority..

Only thing I can think of is wild grape vine....or possum grapes.....but the bark of the vine doesnt look right.
We have grape vines also, this bark is has deep furrows in it almost like cotton wood. But darker.

Might be English Ivy. We have a lot of that around here killing trees. Like Nick said, having leaves makes it easier to ID.

My gut reaction was English Ivy also. But it should have leaves on it as it's evergreen. I don't see any leaves anywhere on the vine.

My gut reaction was English Ivy also. But it should have leaves on it as it's evergreen. I don't see any leaves anywhere on the vine.
Same thought here, unless it's dead. We have some ivy vines that are over 1" thick.

When I cut it with the axe it seemed wet and pliable. We won't have leaves for a few more weeks atleast. Once the virus calms down I have a forestry agent scheduled to walk our property and help with a proper management plan he may be able to give us an answer.

When I cut it with the axe it seemed wet and pliable. We won't have leaves for a few more weeks atleast. Once the virus calms down I have a forestry agent scheduled to walk our property and help with a proper management plan he may be able to give us an answer.

I'm going to change my opinion and say it's poison ivy. If it is English ivy, it would have leaves on it even in winter. It looks like the growth form of PI where it's up in the tree branches. Since it's wet and pliable with no leaves present, that's further evidence. Ultimate test would be to rub some fresh chips on your skin and see what happens. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: D8Chumley
That's very interesting... I've never seen poison ivy in any kind of vine format, only as smallish ground cover plants. I hope you don't try Davesc's suggestion...:eek:

Reactions: D8Chumley
Here in the east, old vines can get very large. PI is generally alow ground cover shrub where there are no objects it can climb on. But given the opportunity it will climb a tree in a heartbeat.

Reactions: mark cline
I wasn't sure if English Ivy kept it's leaves in NE winters like it does here. With this vine, it's best to treat it as poison ivy until a positive ID is possible.

I think English ivy retains it leaves regardless of where it grows. I've never heard of deciduous English ivy.
We have a large ivy covered building here that loses its leaves in winter. Not sure what type of ivy this is, turns bright red-orange in fall.

After your help and some additional googling I am calling it PI, I have seen PI up to 4" in diameter in Western PA. I just have never seen it with this bark texture. I am now in Northwestern PA and not in Southwestern PA where I have seen the larger vines before. I hope everyone learned something from this, I know I did.

Yeah; now not only do I have to look out for ground ivy, sasquatch and rabid squirrels out in the woods I have to look out for vine ivy... ;lol

Yeah; now not only do I have to look out for ground ivy, sasquatch and rabid squirrels out in the woods I have to look out for vine ivy... ;lol
Like I said, I have seen hairy 100% undeniable PI at 4" or better south of Pittsburgh. Big enough to slow down(not stop) a skid steer brush hawg on a 70hp machine. I usually seen this in our very canopy dense area of our property, but it has always had the aerial roots.:cool:

We have a large ivy covered building here that loses its leaves in winter. Not sure what type of ivy this is, turns bright red-orange in fall.

My bet is that what you're calling ivy is actually a vine called Virginia Creeper. It turns bright red in fall and covers many buildings. I've seen it France and Finland during fall. It's native to North America but thrives in European areas. Look up Parthenocissus quinquefolia . It has five leaflets and is in the same grape family as is English ivy.

Attachments

• DSC_0302.JPG
    DSC_0302.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 106
Definitely not Virginia Creeper. Must be another ivy. I have a picture taken last Nov, but without the leaves. Will have to ID later in spring.

Attachments

• alarming.jpg
    alarming.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 124
I'd say +1 for Oriental Bittersweet - https://www.techlinenews.com/articles/eradicating-oriental-bittersweet-in-southeastern-minnesota
Bittersweet vine is capable of growing quite large (both height and stem diameter), blocky bark from large mature specimen, and cut stems have yellow/ orangish heartwood.
Considered a noxious weed in many states that is capable of smothering crowns of viable, healthy trees, and its vines strangle trees.
http://ohiodnr.gov/portals/0/pdfs/invasives/9FactsheetJaphoneysuckleAsianbittersweet2.pdf

Looks similar, I will have to do a little more comparison. Next trip out to the woods.