Another ID...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody5506

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2017
Rochester NY
Can't quite figure this one out. Kinda thought green ash but it's way too wet to be ash. Has a nice scent, almost fruity.

20170311_165416.jpg 20170311_165223.jpg 20170311_164957.jpg 20170311_164924.jpg 20170311_164934.jpg 20170311_164945.jpg

I'd second the Hickory as well.

Very interesting, not at all what I was expecting. I've never gotten any hickory before, especially from the curb.

The grain doesn't quite look like hickory to me. I would say a young slippery or winged elm by the bark.

The tree that these came from was huge. It blew over in a recent wind storm we had. I'm waiting for them to start sawing up the bigger stuff. The bigger logs I left behind were the same almost white wood color which makes me think it wouldn't be an elm species

Being a curb side pick up I'd guess some kind of ornamental apple or pear...especially if it was picked up in a newer development (25 years being newer)....probably 30 different ornamental species between the 2...

......well so much for my theory, I posted the same time the OP explained wood was from a large tree

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The tree that these came from was huge. It blew over in a recent wind storm we had. I'm waiting for them to start sawing up the bigger stuff. The bigger logs I left behind were the same almost white wood color which makes me think it wouldn't be an elm species

Yeah if the trunk has smallish heartwood probly not elm. It just didn't look stringy enough for hickory especially yard hickory. Huge would eliminate ornamental varieties. Maybe post a pic of the trunk bark and wood if you score some. Anyway you split it I call it firewood and free to boot.

Is that Hackberry? A picture showing a larger piece of bark would help.

I'll try and get better pics of the trunk this week, just a little awkward because it's in the middle of someone's yard and I'm sure they are stressed enough dealing with all the damage this storm caused and don't really need random scroungers like me taking pics of their property lol.