Another Lopi or Pacific Energy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Yoei

Mod Edit: @Yoei, moved to its own thread.
These same two stoves(Super 27 & Evergreen) are on my list as possible replacement options for for my 38 year old Avalon. I had a look at both recently. I sweep my own chimney and was really impressed by the removable stainless baffle in the PE Super. The Lopi evergreen is a simple design which would compliment our contemporary home and qualities for the Biomass Tax credit. PE does not qualify for the credit. My wife was loving the looks of the endeavor. The open ash pan in the newer endeavor looks like an air leak point to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok! The Super/T5 is such an easy breather that too much draft can be an issue. 20 feet shouldn't be an issue.

I’m reading about the secondary airflow on the PE Super being regulated by vacuum from the chimney. Does this require a longer chimney/flue to create the vacuum?My current chimney is about two feet if 6” pipe above the stove in an alcove before it vents into about thirteen feet of tile lined chimney. New stove for me will get a 6” liner the entire length. Will this length work for the PE secondary burn airflow regulation?

All primary and secondary airflow is regulated by the chimney’s draft.

You will want the liner insulated. If you have 90s in line, your draft may be a bit weaker when it’s warmer outside.

No 90’s. I’m assuming there may be two 45’s above stove in alcove with future stove. Current stove has one 45. The back is also 45.

I still need to consult with an installer on my options for flue venting and stove clearances with possible stoves. Lopi lists non combustible alcove clearances in their specs, so I know the Lopi evergreen will just work in my brick alcove which is 40” wide. PE only only lists combustible alcove clearance in their brochure and install manual and says to check with your local codes for non combustible clearances. My final decision may be driven by clearances.

I’m reading about the secondary airflow on the PE Super being regulated by vacuum from the chimney. Does this require a longer chimney/flue to create the vacuum?My current chimney is about two feet if 6” pipe above the stove in an alcove before it vents into about thirteen feet of tile lined chimney. New stove for me will get a 6” liner the entire length. Will this length work for the PE secondary burn airflow regulation?
20 ft is good for any stove at your altitude. That's what we have on our stove. It will work well. We have a 45º offset to align with the ceiling support box. No problem.

Yoei has 15 ft of vertical. I wasn’t sure if there were 90s. Looks like 2 fy, a pair of 45s into a T? Then 13 up. Could be problematic at warm temps.

Yoei has 15 ft of vertical. I wasn’t sure if there were 90s. Looks like 2 fy, a pair of 45s into a T? Then 13 up. Could be problematic at warm temps.
Thanks. I created a separate thread for Yoei. This setup is similar to my friend's installation up north but they have a shorter vertical chimney section. Their Summit handles it well surprisingly.

No T at the top of the alcove. Stovepipe currently connects into straight up tile lined masonry chimney dedicated for current wood stove. I’m also at 500’ elevation

image.jpgimage.jpg

Even better! Get rid of the fiberglass insulation and put some rock wool or Kao wool in its place!

Even better! Get rid of the fiberglass insulation and put some rock wool or Kao wool in its place!
Good idea. I think the chimney sweep I used prior to doing the sweeping myself stuffed the fiberglass in. I have some leftover material I cut to replace my baffle blanket a few years ago. Is that similar to kao wool?

BTW…I’ve learned a lot the last few weeks reading info here. I’m getting the longest burn times ever from my old Avalon , seven hours yesterday, as a result. I’ll miss it, but will be glad to have something sending more heat into the house instead of up the chimney.

Does the black stove pipe go all the way up to the chimney top as a liner? Or is it connected to a stainless liner, or does it terminate right after the blockoff plate? If the latter, what is the chimney tile liner size?

Does the black stove pipe go all the way up to the chimney top as a liner? Or is it connected to a stainless liner, or does it terminate right after the blockoff plate? If the latter, what is the chimney tile liner size?
The 6” vent ends at a pipe union at the top of the alcove. Vents up the masonry chimney through an 8”x10” -ish tile lined chimney straight up. The project will include a 6” stainless liner inside the masonry chimney. I’ll feel much safer. I sweep it twice per heating season and get 1/3 to 1/2 a paper grocery bag of soot.