Another neverburn thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
When there's no rumble from the secondary is it burning as dirty as a non-EPA stove ?

I'm sure this has been discussed, I know how to search, and did, but there's so much info here to wade through to find it that
I gave up and threw up another bandwidth-wasting post. Sorry. I hope I've contributed enough in the past 6 mo. that I won't get flamed. LOL

Although other everburn users may be able to give more accurate advice, I'll say this; even without the rumble, check the stack outside. The proof is in the pudding. You might see that you can end up with smoke free burns without the typical rumble, although from what I know about the system, it seems to be less likely.

No smoke from my cap other than from a new load or odd piece of moist wood and I've swept a fairly clean chimney 5 times already this year (paranoid newbie).
I'm just curious if my attention and dry wood is the reason for the clean burn or if the Neverburn is helping even when it's not rumbling. If I let it rumble too long
I'd be overfiring. I'm pretty happy with the stove, b.t.w., although I have nothing to compare it to.

Resolute Acclaims are not Everburn stoves, only Defiant and Encore. A friend of mine has a 2490. It never rumbles. He cleans a coffee can of gray ash out of his chimney once a year.

I'm going with the assumption that when all I see is heat waves from the top of my chimney, I'm burning clean. Either that or all my filth is gathering in my stack!

Seriously, I like to hear the rumble (or the purr as I like to think of it - happy stove purrs.. rather loud at times, heh), but I don't always get it. As I am getting better at loading and setting my air - wide open is NOT always the best I'm learning as odd as that seems, I am getting much cleaner burns.

Perhaps the extra month of drying in my wood is helping? Who knows - whatever the case is, I am burning pretty clean based on the smoke checks. I can't compare to non-epa stoves though as I don't have one, but I can say that it is a relief to know when I'm outside and smell smoke that it isn't mine anymore. I have not swept yet, that will be the acid test I suppose, but it will reflect my full learning curve since the install date.

Brian - I'm not sure about getting overfire condition if I let it rumble too long... I have been letting mine go however long it wants and basically choking air down to 1/4 if I can and still get stack temps in the clear (300-500 range, with 350 being my target) and no smoke. This seems to me to get the stove top to run in the 500-550 range for the bulk of the burn (with a spike near the end at coaling time that I just don't quite get that can reach 650 for some reason). Of course we are running different stoves...

JonOfSunderland said:
Resolute Acclaims are not Everburn stoves, only Defiant and Encore. A friend of mine has a 2490. It never rumbles.

Mine sure rumbles when I give a lot of primary air to the secondary through a hot bed of coals and a hot fire. It'll sound like a
space shuttle launch if I let it go for a while.
What's the Everburn system ? I assumed that all non-cat. VC stoves were Everburn.

Brian VT said:
When there's no rumble from the secondary is it burning as dirty as a non-EPA stove ?

I'm sure this has been discussed, I know how to search, and did, but there's so much info here to wade through to find it that
I gave up and threw up another bandwidth-wasting post. Sorry. I hope I've contributed enough in the past 6 mo. that I won't get flamed. LOL

If you see lots of smoke coming from the chimney....EPA or NON-EPA dirty/polluting burn. If you see no smoke "bingo"

btw do all of the down draft stoves work like the "everburn" i.e. same principal?

Diabel said:
btw do all of the down draft stoves work like the "everburn" i.e. same principal?

I know the Lopi Leyden and the Harmon TL300 are about the same. The dealer I bought the Leyden from wondered if both stoves were not copied from the VC stoves, so I assume that all down draft stoves work on the same principal.

Brian VT said:
I'm just curious if my attention and dry wood is the reason for the clean burn or if the Neverburn is helping even when it's not rumbling.

Jeez, I'm sorry I should have caught that. The Resolute Acclaim uses a different, earlier style of downdraft secondary combustion system. Not sure on the rumble with that system.

Status
Not open for further replies.