Another Oak Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Blessed we are in the Sierra Foothills, with millions of oak trees! This comes from a 2004 housing development in Lincoln, CA. The tree huggers and Gov't regulators did not allow the tree to come down during development. As the land was graded, and filled around it, this home, with a large backyard, has a large depressed area to accommodate the tree, as specified by certified arborists. It it is in a suburban area of quarter acre lots or less. The 150 year old tree towering over it's neighbors, one a child care care center, met it's end due to concerns it would fall into the care center. The owner has been trying to sell the wood for two years, unsplit, undelivered, and no luck, lol. Now, I am getting paid $300 to get rid of it for him. As usual, it it is the large heavy rounds most people can not handle. I took a new angle on this one. Owner needs it gone, been trying for two years. I see 2 cords of seasoned oak,. ready to burn. I offer to to take it off his hands for $300! Agreed! I recently started watching the TV show Hoarders, I think I may have developed a tendency to start hoarding firewood. It certainly is a lot of work, but so is earning $$ to pay the gasd, oil, or electric bill!

Attachments

• Optimized-IMG_20120410_180720.jpg
    Optimized-IMG_20120410_180720.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: smokinj
Looks like those thin rounds could be quartered with roughly 4 swings :p

That's even better than free wood!
As said above, bring your hand splitting tool of choice, and make that job much easier.

Seems like the Oaks in particular don't like their environment disturbed. I see lots of them around the periphery of cleared land...they don't last long.

Hoard all the wood you can! Get several years ahead on the wood supply. You'll never be sorry for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.