Another probe question - for clarification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougA

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2012
S. ON
I keep reading posts about probes and some are not very clear on internal probe of chimney vs. IR probe of chimney vs. IR probe of stove. I went back to 2 chimney specs to see the ratings for my own info:

Certification The Secure Temp ASHT+ high-temperature chimney is certified by Intertek Testing (Warnock Hersey) to:
• ULC-S604 standards for all diameters of 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 inches
• ULC-S610 (on wood-burning fireplaces) for all diameters of 5, 6, 7, 8 and 10 inches
• ULC-S629 for wood stove applications in diameters of 6, 7, and 8 inches
Temperature Rating Period of Operation
1000°F Max. continuous
1400°F Brief forced fired
2100°F 3 x 30 minutes, tested

Certification
The Secure Temp S2100+ high-temperature chimney is certified by Intertek Testing Services (Warnock Hersey) to ULC-S629
standards for diameters of 6, 7 and 8 inches.
Temperature Rating Period of Operation
650° C (1200°F) Max. continuous
760° C (1400°F) Brief forced fired
1150° C (2100°F) 3 x 30 minutes, tested

I have assumed that these ratings are stating the internal chimney temps. That's why I set my digital probe alarm at 900 and it will sometimes jump to 1,100 range by the time I turn the stove down. I've got an older non-cat VC Resolute, so perhaps my situation is different than many others.

I can't help but think that prior to my purchase of a digital probe, I must have had temps that were well into the danger zone as often when I turn the stove down now, my magnetic thermometer on the stove top is reading under 300. I was taught/told not to turn the stove down until it reaches 500. Am I wrong in how I am thinking this through?

We're in a severe cold snap and on the local news last night, another 2 houses burned to the ground. Probably faulty kerosene space heaters but I am not wanting my house to be on the news.

What kind of stove top thermometer are you using?

Is your alarm going off (over 900) before your stove top hits 500?

If I follow what you have written, it sounds like you are doing things correctly.

With a proper setup, and a chimney that has been well maintained, if your house burns down, something else failed.

Yes, the alarm in the chimney goes off at 900 and the stove top has usually not reached 300. This is the morning, when starting up from coals.

During the restart - with the primary air open, heat from the fire starting procedure will escape up the chimney, the temperature of the large mass of the stove body will lag behind the chimney flue temp. To me Doug, all seems normal. Step down the primary air as the restarting progresses.

I can see high flue temps on a startup before turning the stove down. This has caused me to watch the flue temps a little better and close down the air, part way, a little earlier. Doug, with the Resolute, are you talking about 500F being the point where you engage the bypass or turn the thermostatic control down?

I was told (years ago) to engage the bypass, which I was always told was the damper control. That effectively forces air through the secondary chamber.

I rarely ever adjust the thermostatic control and only use it if my running temps are too high from using small splits or too low if the wood is a bit wet.

With this cold snap, we're wearing heavy sweaters and still chilly inside. The Resolute is burning at max. and needs the ashes removed but it's just too darn cold to close it down. If we get a sunny day, the sun will heat our house just fine but haven't had that in quite awhile. In Ont., the cost of hydro is absolutely crazy expensive and it's my only other viable option. Maybe I should go out and get warm cutting some wood. Three big wind storms plus the recent ice storm this year so I won't get caught up on downfall for a year, if that. Some of the homes in Toronto just got hydro hooked back up today since before Christmas. I guess I am lucky considering.

OK, just need to be sure we are talking about the same controls. 500F is by the book for engaging the bypass damper. IIRC we could do it earlier on our Resolute. If you have good dry wood, try engaging the bypass at 450 stove top temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.