Another Progress Hybrid Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the issue might be that this was the first one shipped without the ash pan assembly. This is only my theory.

First, the bottom shield kit was not shipped with the stove but it did arrive the next day via UPS. The bottom plate of the firebox is packaged separately from but shipped with the stove and I did not realize there was an issue with it until I went to install the bottom shield assembly. The first direction is to insert studs into the outmost holes in the firebox bottom. Oops, my firebox bottom does not have holes! It seems they forgot to put the threaded holes around the edge of the bottom plate. I called them up and they apologized and shipped a new one that day.

I think WS is still scrambling to get a good, consistent system down for shipping out their new product. I bet all the different options don't help. Ash pan/no ash pan, right door/left door, ash lip/no ash lip, etc.

The anticipation and added delays are tough, but it will work out OK as I will have all weekend getting to know the stove and can still have a toasty warm Christmas.

Edit: I should say there will be no added work for me, it's just a matter of having the right part. The rest, I would have had to do anyway.

Yes, it's only natural that it will take some time to work the bugs out of the system. The first season is bound to be a learning experience for everyone. It's got to be a madhouse there right now as they gear up to fulfill their backlog of orders. They probably are not going to see a lot of time off this Christmas.

I'm glad to hear that the fix will be an easy one for you and the homefires will be burning again in time for the holidays. Looking forward to your reports and pictures!

I love the look of the Fireview and it wouldn't have bothered me if the Progress had more of an antique look to it. But, that said, I love the look of my stove, I think it's a classic and even better looking in person when you can really see the figuring of the stone. Woodstock has good taste, I like all of their stoves.

I'm just the opposite. I like the more contemporary styling of the Progress, Keystone and Palladian stoves. But it's good that Woodstock offers both options.

I wanted the looks of the Keystone with the output of the Fireview. I settles on the Fireview and now I have PH envy.

Flatbedford said:
I wanted the looks of the Keystone with the output of the Fireview. I settles on the Fireview and now I have PH envy.

Exactly! A 2 cu ft Keystone would be the bomb! I'm thinking the PH would be overkill for me unless they add a t-stat to control the burns more like a Blaze King does. If that happens I'll buy one.

Waulie said:
I think the issue might be that this was the first one shipped without the ash pan assembly. This is only my theory.

First, the bottom shield kit was not shipped with the stove but it did arrive the next day via UPS. The bottom plate of the firebox is packaged separately from but shipped with the stove and I did not realize there was an issue with it until I went to install the bottom shield assembly. The first direction is to insert studs into the outmost holes in the firebox bottom. Oops, my firebox bottom does not have holes! It seems they forgot to put the threaded holes around the edge of the bottom plate. I called them up and they apologized and shipped a new one that day.

I think WS is still scrambling to get a good, consistent system down for shipping out their new product. I bet all the different options don't help. Ash pan/no ash pan, right door/left door, ash lip/no ash lip, etc.

The anticipation and added delays are tough, but it will work out OK as I will have all weekend getting to know the stove and can still have a toasty warm Christmas.

Edit: I should say there will be no added work for me, it's just a matter of having the right part. The rest, I would have had to do anyway.

Waulie:

The exact same thing happened to me, my Fill Plate was not threaded. I took it to a local machine shop down the street, two hours later I had threaded holes to WS specifications. I could not wait for UPS, the building inspector was due to make a visit to my house to sign off on the installations!

Congratulations to both Waulie and Tony on their new stoves. I also admit to liking the looks much better without the ash pan. As for the looks between the stoves, I still favor the Fireview but that does not put down the Progress at all as it is a beauty.

It sounds like most of the problems Woodstock is having right now is in shipping. Seems crating those big rocks are posing some problems but they will get this worked out.

Waulie:

The exact same thing happened to me, my Fill Plate was not threaded. I took it to a local machine shop down the street, two hours later I had threaded holes to WS specifications. I could not wait for UPS, the building inspector was due to make a visit to my house to sign off on the installations!

That did cross my mind. Unfortunately, I've been really tied up at work the last couple days since I took Monday off to get and install the stove (that and "local" for me would be quite a trip). I think that confirms the issue was with the no ash pan models. I'm sure they'll fix that from here on out. I think ours shipped within a couple days of each other. I have to say, I was pleased that they got the new one in the mail the day I called even though it was after 4:00. They were very apologetic and sounded a bit upset with themselves. No biggy in the long run.

So, I couldn't wait. I just did the first break in fire without the bottom shield. Please nobody tell on me. :) Actually, I had a weird sheet metal tray in the basement with lips along two edges that I placed upside down under the stove. It was the perfect size. I plan to do the sceond break in here in a minute. The first one went OK. I did get some smoke spillage on opening the door, but then I realized the furnace was running and the air return is about 6 feet from the stove so I'm not concerned yet.

Let us know how the install went, Tony!

I just did my second break in fire. I am having some trouble with the fly-ash screen that protects the cat. It moved loose during shipping - I caught it before I lit the second fire. After lighting the second fire it slipped off again! There must be a trick to locking it on properly, I will give them a call tomorrow. I don't think it's a problem till you run with the cat engaged, which I have not done yet. I got a quick look at this screen at the BBQ, but unfortunately did not ask them to show me how to install/remove. The owner's manual only says it needs to be cleaned.

I am having some trouble with the fly-ash screen that protects the cat.

Hmmm. I never even looked at that. I'm in the middle of my second break in right now. Stove top at 200 with a bit of the break in smell. I'll take a look after it dies down. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh yeah, I was going to ask too. There is a sheet directly under the lid that I wasn't expecting from previous pics and isn't shown in the manual. I assume it reduces top temps?

I asked about that sheet metal thing over the cat. Was told there is a gasket that you have to take out, then remove the sheet metal thing to get to the cat. Is this scoop/fly ash thing under that cat? In other words, do you have to take out the cat to check this fly ash thing?

I've been noticing that I get a blow torch sheet of flame up the door side of the stove. I checked the door with the dollar bill test and it passed, so I asked WS. They said to check the ash pan install, which I plan on doing tomorrow. But I wonder if this fly ash thing could be the problem. What type of symptoms did you have that clued you in to look at that?

I asked about that sheet metal thing over the cat. Was told there is a gasket that you have to take out, then remove the sheet metal thing to get to the cat.

My sheet metal thing just lifts right out. There is a gasket under it, but I don't think that does much since the sheet is so light.

fire_man said:
I just did my second break in fire. I am having some trouble with the fly-ash screen that protects the cat. It moved loose during shipping - I caught it before I lit the second fire. After lighting the second fire it slipped off again! There must be a trick to locking it on properly, I will give them a call tomorrow. I don't think it's a problem till you run with the cat engaged, which I have not done yet. I got a quick look at this screen at the BBQ, but unfortunately did not ask them to show me how to install/remove. The owner's manual only says it needs to be cleaned.

Tony there is a special way that screen goes in if you like you can pm me and I will try to explain it.

The sheet metal plate is used to reduce temperatures on the stone lid. It fits under two side slots,and one in the back. A gasket is used to hold it in place. I can PM you installation instructions if you want, they are very simple.

I noticed the flyash screen just because I am an overly curious Engineer always poking around. After the first break in fire, I shined a flashlight in the firebox and noticed airspace where the screen should be. I tried poking the screen in place and ended up dislodging both screens (there are two). You can see them from the window. I think they tend to reduce draft, prevent fire from hitting the cat, and reduce clogging of the cat due to ash.

Waulie said:
I managed to get the Progress installed yesterday. I can vouch for the fact that it is one heavy rock of a stove. It is also absolutely beautiful. Hopefully, I figured out how to post a picture. I will update with some fire pics and performance reports when I get her burning in a couple days. I know there's been a few of these lately, but I think this is the first without an ash pan. I also think it is the first blue cast. Please excuse the adjacent messes and yes, I still need to trim around the hearth. Anyway, here she (hopefully) is!

Man, what an absolutely perfect place to locate a stove. Foot of the stairs, open into what looks like the kitchen/dining area... Great, great location
Gorgeous stove and install too.

fire_man said:
The sheet metal plate is used to reduce temperatures on the stone lid. It fits under two side slots,and one in the back. A gasket is used to hold it in place. I can PM you installation instructions if you want, they are very simple.

I noticed the flyash screen just because I am an overly curious Engineer always poking around. After the first break in fire, I shined a flashlight in the firebox and noticed airspace where the screen should be. I tried poking the screen in place and ended up dislodging both screens (there are two). You can see them from the window. I think they tend to reduce draft, prevent fire from hitting the cat, and reduce clogging of the cat due to ash.

Thanks, fire_man, for posting this. I just checked my screen and I'm pretty sure it is dislodged as well. There is about a 2" square on the far right side that doesn't have a screen covering it. This is exactly the area where I have been getting a blow torch wall of flames. I think this may be the problem. Will be calling WS this morning. Thanks again for sharing this information, it's helped tremendously.

Thanks, Rusty! The spot does work very well. It will be interesting to see how this radiant stove compares with my previous convective stove.

Tony, when you say a gasket is used to hold it in place, do you mean the gasket under the sheet or is there suppose to be one over the sheet. HollowHill said she was told you would have to remove a gasket to get that sheet out. Mine just lifts right out. There is a gasket under it, but I wouldn't say it holds it in place. In fact, it doesn't seem like the sheet gets that tight up against it even when placed properly with the tabs. I dunno.

Waulie:

I will PM you the photo instructions. The gasket kind of compresses the sheet metal plate so that it's forced towards the back of the stove and cannot dislodge from the tabs.

Hey guys,
As far as the heat shield goes, it needs to fit into the 3 slots. One is in the back and one on each side. It can be a pain to line all 3 up at the same time to slide into their respective slots. After you have it in, you'll notice that there is nothing keeping it from sliding forward and coming out of those slots. What I did was take a 10-24 screw (about 1/4" diameter) and cut the head off. this gives you a nice spacer about the size of a pencil to put into the gap between the heat shield and the casting. This prevents the heat shield from sliding forward and coming out of the slot.

Hey Binko: I'll see if I can forward you the PM Tony sent me on that shield. There is a short piece of rope gasket that goes in front to hold it in place. Mine was under the shield when it arrived and thats why I was confused.

Edit: PM sent.

Waulie said:
I am having some trouble with the fly-ash screen that protects the cat.

Hmmm. I never even looked at that. I'm in the middle of my second break in right now. Stove top at 200 with a bit of the break in smell. I'll take a look after it dies down. Thanks for the heads up.

I second the thanks as, when I checked mine, I discovered that it was not aligned properly. Called WS and they emailed me detailed pics and instructions to correct it. I think I've got it fixed now.

Can you send me those in a PM, HollowHill?

Heck, post them here if WS hasn't already put them up. That is helpful info.

Status
Not open for further replies.