Another request for tree identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DuaeGuttae

Minister of Fire
Oct 26, 2016
Virginia
Our family has somewhat recently moved to Texas, and we have a lot of trees now. Most of the property has Live Oak and Ashe Juniper on it, but the previous owners seem to have planted a lot of other varieties in the back yard. Some are clearly fruit trees, others perhaps ornamental. Some are perhaps not planted and have just been allowed to grow. I was photographing some of my unknowns today and was surprised by how many there were. I thought I'd post a picture of one and see if you tree experts could give me some help. I took a close-up of the bark and tried to get a good shot of the leaves, but I'm afraid it's a little blurry. If anyone can offer a suggestion as to what this may be, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG

Possibly some kind of Elm?

Possibly some kind of Elm?

I've been wondering that myself. Someone did tell me recently that the taller straighter trees with a little yellow along the roads are elms. This fits that description, and the bark and shape seem to match. I'm puzzled by the smooth leaves, though. Is there some variety of elm that doesn't have toothed leaves? I am by no means well versed in elm, but I've been looking at pictures of leaves, and they all seem toothed.

Cut it, and then try to split it, Elm splits like a SOB.

I'll have to wait on that. I took photos of the largest tree, but the two that need to be removed aren't big enough to be worth splitting. We've also got some dead and precarious wood that needs to be addressed first. I am just hoping to figure out what these other trees are. It feels very odd to me to walk by a tree and simply not know what it is.

I'll have to wait on that. I took photos of the largest tree, but the two that need to be removed aren't big enough to be worth splitting. We've also got some dead and precarious wood that needs to be addressed first. I am just hoping to figure out what these other trees are. It feels very odd to me to walk by a tree and simply not know what it is.

I'm sorry, but if the leaves are smooth, I think I need to take my highly uneducated guess of Elm off the table. I believe they all have a saw tooth type of leaf edge.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Pignut hickory on the left? A type of magnolia on the right?

I'm sorry, but if the leaves are smooth, I think I need to take my highly uneducated guess of Elm off the table. I believe they all have a saw tooth type of leaf edge.

I appreciate the help and confirmation of saw-tooth edges. Thanks for offering a suggestion I could look into.

Blurry leaf pics not much help but check these links out...
http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=35&t=A
http://texastreeid.tamu.edu/content/TreeDetails/?id=19&t=A

best I can do with what you've given us, Texas trees a bit out of "area" of "knowledge"!!

It's out of my area of much more limited knowledge as well. I'm kicking myself for not asking the forester who came out a couple of weeks ago to look at some dead and unhealthy oaks (checking for signs of oak wilt--thankfully not yet), but we didn't go through the back yard trees as they weren't the concern.

Thanks for that Texas Tree ID link. I've been searching for something like that but hadn't found that site. I think it will prove useful for some of my other mysteries. I think I'll need more seasons with the tree to see about flowers or fruit.

Pignut hickory on the left? A type of magnolia on the right?

The two are actually the same tree. It was just hard to get good photos of both the bark and the leaves. I'm sorry they're not better quality.

I don't have a guess. Texas has lots of trees that don't grow elsewhere in the US.

If the leaves have saw-tooth edges, it's possibly Hop-Hornbeam AKA Ironwood... the bark isn't quite right, at least not what I see up here.

I appreciate the help and confirmation of saw-tooth edges. Thanks for offering a suggestion I could look into.

It's out of my area of much more limited knowledge as well. I'm kicking myself for not asking the forester who came out a couple of weeks ago to look at some dead and unhealthy oaks (checking for signs of oak wilt--thankfully not yet), but we didn't go through the back yard trees as they weren't the concern.

Thanks for that Texas Tree ID link. I've been searching for something like that but hadn't found that site. I think it will prove useful for some of my other mysteries. I think I'll need more seasons with the tree to see about flowers or fruit.

The two are actually the same tree. It was just hard to get good photos of both the bark and the leaves. I'm sorry they're not better quality.

I get it now. Siberian elm would be my guess. Tough to say with these photos.