Tree/firewood identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As already mentioned . . . poplar (aka popple, aspen, etc.) . . . a wood I will cut for firewood if it's in the way, but that's about it. You can burn it, but it is a "soft" hardwood and will not burn as well. Not often used for lumber either.

So where in northern Maine are you . . . I take it north of the evil city of Bangor. ;)

Im throwing in White poplar as well as a possible. Populus alba.
It hybridizes with the other aspens creating a tree called gray or silver poplar. The hybrid tree is considered an invasive species across the globe. "Hybrid vigor"
Kevin, I would cut some of these trees for knowledge sake since you are unfamiliar with them and see for yourself what you think.
I put up about 2 cords a winter of aspen wood. I consider it very useful wood.
I dislike that Aspen gets such a bad rap on this site.

We don't have a sunny beach or warm winters here, but we are blessed with so many good hardwoods that if I cut Aspen for firewood, I'd never finish cutting the really good wood (I never get to it all anyway). The Aspen I do cut is because wind blows it onto a trail or into a field.

Kevin, I would cut some of these trees for knowledge sake since you are unfamiliar with them and see for yourself what you think....
I like that Idea. We have over 30 tree species on our farm, and I'm pretty sure I've cut at least one of each over the years. It truly is a great learning experience. Years ago I cut some Aspen off a trail and made some firewood out of it just to learn its characteristics. I still have some quartered bigtooth Aspen rounds that I keep in the barn as large wheel chocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.