Another Storm System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been pouring all night, we have a flood warning in our area, winds gusting to around 40mph, temperature when I went to bed around 930- 30°F, wake up temp this morning 530 am- 50°F :confused: Possible light snow tonight, saturday, flurries on Christmas

Guys, I know the wet heavy snow is miserable to plow, I did it commercially for 25 years, but man......... we got almost an inch of rain, and mud. Sheesh what a mess. Not looking good for a white Christmas for us down here at all. At least it's supposed to get marginally colder, so maybe the ground will freeze up & I can go back to cutting. I'm gettin a little tired of the gray gloomy weather. A little snow would brighten things up a bit. A C
Rain / Sleet are falling at the moment. We had 2-3 days of rain last week so it was a mess. The colder weather moved in with some snow an all of a sudden the old pines looked great, I think with this system we might get three inches of snow.

A new system is hitting the west coast so we'll see what it brings the rest of the country.

The driveway will be like a skating rink once it drops below freezing, looks like some sand and ashes will go on this afternoon.

Attachments

• 100_6551.JPG
    100_6551.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 96
13 degrees now. The snow did turn light and fluffy, so there's some good drifting on top of the heavy stuff. We ended up with the lucky draw
of having the heaviest snowfall in WI from this storm.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 107
We just got 2" of rain in an hour...and lost power for all of that from a spike of strong gusts. Nice straight and narrow line of heavy activity on the radar. And then breaks of blue sky and power back on shortly thereafter.

Survived yet another death storm. I love how scary they make each one sound. Wasn't too terrible. We got about 12 inches of really heavy wet snow and some pretty strong wind today. If we hadn't gotten that crazy storm last March it would be a real mess with trees and limbs coming down over all over the place but I think the weak stuff was mostly weeded out. From what I seen so far, I only lost one ash in my woods which was already dead like the rest of them.

I agree with AC, I would much rather have snow (even this crap) then a bunch of rain this time of year. Now that it's supposed to get colder, I think we'll start getting some nice lake effect snow. Lake Michigan is still pretty warm. I really want to ground to freeze. Plowing snow over mushy earth is not that cool.

Windy here now, gusts have registered up to 35 and holding steady about 25. Rained and rained, don't think it's raining right now.

Gusts maxed @ 50 and held regularly around 35 through the night. No snow, sunny now. 36 degrees and wind speed as I type is 15. Stove was absolutely devouring the wood last night, drafting WELL.

Reactions: zap
Plenty more storm coming. Light to moderate snow coming Mon night into Christmas morning, and a large system expected later Thursday that could dump a shat load here in pa. Can I finally go snowshoeing?:)

Plenty more storm coming. Light to moderate snow coming Mon night into Christmas morning, and a large system expected later Thursday that could dump a shat load here in pa. Can I finally go snowshoeing?:)
Oh ya, we might do that tomorrow.

We HAD around 2-3" on the ground, but the wind drove most of it into drifts throughout the area. Kids were playing in the drifts all day, despite the strong winds.

I love the snow, hoping we get HAMMERED sometime soon. It's gonna be nice to finally load the stove up and open the draft a bit. I miss the REALLY cold weather!!

Status
Not open for further replies.