Another "what type of wood" thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WireNut

May 30, 2013
Kingston, NY
So a tree came down behind my father's house, and he wants to get rid of it. I'm fairly sure it's hardwood, but not sure of the type....I thought I'd come here and see if anyone could ID it on the bark since It's been down for a while and there are no leaves. Anyone care to take a stab at what kind of wood this tree is?

I tried to put a picture of leaves on the tree that was right next to it (and looks the same) but it was awfully high up in the air and the branches intermingle, so that shot may be useless (the leaves are in the middle and I thought look like oak).
bark1.jpgfell.jpgleaves.jpguproot.jpg

Going on the downwards pointed branch it would be a Pin Oak.

That branch is bent that way from the tree falling. Not to say it wasn't downward facing to start with, but the bend is because of how the tree landed. As you can see by the tree behind it, it was a big tree that took quite a bit of small soft woods with it.

Red Oak.

I was thinking oak. Its companion appeared to have leaves. I have almost exclusively red oak for some reason(I love the smell when I split it). We typically call it "rock oak". What is the more common name for pin oak? I couldn't find that on the but charts I have.

The most common name for pin oak is.....pin oak. I've never heard it called anything else except for being called a few cuss words because of the smell and all the limbs.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I was thinking oak. Its companion appeared to have leaves. I have almost exclusively red oak for some reason(I love the smell when I split it). We typically call it "rock oak". What is the more common name for pin oak? I couldn't find that on the but charts I have.
Do the leaves have rounded lobes or pointed? Thought I saw some White Oak leaves up in there. Walnut, too, but I'm on the Red Oak/Pin Oak bandwagon. All in the Red Oak group (Red, Black, Pin, Shingle) are similar in BTU output.

Not sure how large of an area it grows but most times it grows in wet areas. Not real swampy, but wet. Still, we also have them growing on yellow sand so they are not strictly grown in wet areas. Not sure why but we've had a few dieing in the past 3 or 4 years.

It is very close to red oak and naturally, it is in the red oak family. The leaf is very similar.

pin.jpgThis is the typical pin oak leaf so you can see the difference quite easy. One very interesting thing about pin oak vs red oak is that deer will always leave the red oak acorns for last because they are so strong in tannin. Yet they will go for the pin oak acorns at the same time as white oak acorns. That one has always had me puzzled.

Cool. Ill have to check it tomorrow. I assume there wont be red inside the white oak? The area is a rocky hill...no wet or swampy area here.

That is a RED OAK.

Reactions: HDRock
Pin oak is a common name. And it has a wide range yea. Some people call willow oak in my are pin oak but they are entirely different trees.

White oak can be red on the inside. The white and red are misnomers.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Not sure how large of an area it grows but most times it grows in wet areas. Not real swampy, but wet. Still, we also have them growing on yellow sand so they are not strictly grown in wet areas. Not sure why but we've had a few dieing in the past 3 or 4 years.

It is very close to red oak and naturally, it is in the red oak family. The leaf is very similar.

View attachment 107630This is the typical pin oak leaf so you can see the difference quite easy. One very interesting thing about pin oak vs red oak is that deer will always leave the red oak acorns for last because they are so strong in tannin. Yet they will go for the pin oak acorns at the same time as white oak acorns. That one has always had me puzzled.
Maybe the red oak acorns taste like the wood smells. I like it though.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Supposedly reds are more bitter.

Red all day everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.