Another what wood is this,on CL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know but It's about all I can budget, $96 plus tax, $20 for extended warranty

I think for now I would still hold off . . . either bank the money for an electric splitter or save that money for a rental when you have a nice pile of wood ready to be split up.

That ain't a beech round on top. Could be ash. It will split better than the elm. A C

That ain't a beech round on top. Could be ash. It will split better than the elm. A C

The guy said it was beechnut, but hay ! IDK, on the end, it looks kinda dark redish.

Whats the cost for renting a splitter for a day ?

All that stringy stuff on the elm, gets a fire going good

The guy said it was beechnut, but hay ! IDK, on the end, it looks kinda dark redish.

I have an electric splitter and a manual splitter I would be happy to bring them over and split with ya anytime. The electric one goes real fast with two guys moving. I love my manual like the one in the picture for huge rounds it does the trick. I use it to bust them in half then finish them off with the electric.

Pete

Renting a splitter around here is anywhere from $60-$90 per day. Home Depot is $80 in my area.

I have an electric splitter and a manual splitter I would be happy to bring them over and split with ya anytime. The electric one goes real fast with two guys moving. I love my manual like the one in the picture for huge rounds it does the trick. I use it to bust them in half then finish them off with the electric.

Pete

Hay thanks Pete ,man that's a generous offer.

Been busy, splitting it up , I should have checked back here first ,I guess.

Went for broke, got a Harbor Freight, 7 ton log splitter, Got some.wood to cut ,cut n split from neighbors property, getting some rounds from other neighbor, got a line on some other rounds, so I will be using the splitter.

Oh ,ya, from CL, I havent called the guy yet but this is about 68 miles away,
I have a large quantity of standing timber "20+ Trees" that I would be willing to give away for free. Easy access and open field to drop trees. All ash trees are dead, but in great shape for cutting and splitting for firewood. All branches can be left on site after trees are cut. Email or call if interested and we can discus.' You must cut and remove wood at your own risk prefer someone with insurance coverage.

Some of the Elm rounds, I had to put some boards under them to raise them up and take a smaller bite to get them started, some I had to sledge and wedge to get them started.
There was some oak or ash, 20 in, the splitter went through it like butter, and some other kind, light colored that split easy to.

The wood all together, yielded ,2 and 1 third face cords, 75% is dry burnable (16 to 19 percent MC) the rest will have dry a long time

I have a large quantity of standing timber "20+ Trees" that I would be willing to give away for free. Easy access and open field to drop trees. All ash trees are dead, but in great shape for cutting and splitting for firewood. All branches can be left on site after trees are cut. Email or call if interested and we can discus.' You must cut and remove wood at your own risk prefer someone with insurance coverage.

I'd make sure that the wood will be worth the fuel to haul it. I dunno what you have for a truck but 140 miles round trip, loaded heavy for half-that, is gonna burn some fuel regardless. And 20"+ rounds will eat up truck/trailer space fast, so how many trips are you planning on making? I can have hardwood log loads delivered for $100 (maybe cheaper) a cord here, I'd figure out what the going rate is for something like that is and that'd be my primary consideration before driving out that far.

I'd make sure that the wood will be worth the fuel to haul it. I dunno what you have for a truck but 140 miles round trip, loaded heavy for half-that, is gonna burn some fuel regardless. And 20"+ rounds will eat up truck/trailer space fast, so how many trips are you planning on making? I can have hardwood log loads delivered for $100 (maybe cheaper) a cord here, I'd figure out what the going rate is for something like that is and that'd be my primary consideration before driving out that far.

I was thinking ,it might not be worth it, especially cuz of my small trailer.
Having hardwood log loads delivered ,sounds like a good idea.
That's why I need input from you vets :)
Maybe some one closer to the location could take advantage of it.
http://lansing.craigslist.org/zip/3404764300.html

Hay thanks Pete ,man that's a generous offer.

Been busy, splitting it up , I should have checked back here first ,I guess.

Went for broke, got a Harbor Freight, 7 ton log splitter, Got some.wood to cut ,cut n split from neighbors property, getting some rounds from other neighbor, got a line on some other rounds, so I will be using the splitter.

Some of the Elm rounds, I had to put some boards under them to raise them up and take a smaller bite to get them started, some I had to sledge and wedge to get them started.
There was some oak or ash, 20 in, the splitter went through it like butter, and some other kind, light colored that split easy to.

The wood all together, yielded ,2 and 1 third face cords, 75% is dry burnable (16 to 19 percent MC) the rest will have dry a long time

AC and I where talking about going down there to get some of those trees HD I am calling him again today. 20 trees is a lot maybe we could make it a cutting trip with all of us !

Pete

Here's a trick if you do rent one. Don't go to a big box store, but rather some place like Taylor Rental. Rent it for Sunday. You an pick up on Saturday after 3pm and return Monday AM. Gets you an extra few hours with the splitter. No matter how quickly you think a hydraulic splitter will be, it's still a very slow process. That extra time is nice. I wouldn't bother renting one till you had a lot of rounds accumulated.

AC and I where talking about going down there to get some of those trees HD I am calling him again today. 20 trees is a lot maybe we could make it a cutting trip with all of us !

Pete

That's a possibility.
The guy doesn't say how big the trees are, and he didn't say you have to take all of them.
Who are you calling, AC or the guy with the trees ?????

That's a possibility.
The guy doesn't say how big the trees are, and he didn't say you have to take all of them.
Who are you calling, AC or the guy with the trees ?????

The tree guy I emailed him the other day and got a response. I am trying to find out where to go look after work because I work in lansing. Maybe I will be able to get pics to send you if it is not dark by then.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.