Antique stove question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainely Saws

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2010
Topsham , Me.
Hello folks !
This is a great forum but I don't see much about antique wood burning stoves . I have an 1883 Wood & Bishop Clarion #3 in my camp that I like very much . I use it primarily in the Spring & Fall seasons & it will definitely put out some heat but uses more wood than the new EPA certified stoves, which I am willing to deal with because of the character & warmth of the old parlor stove . My question has to do with refinishing the stove . The old, tried & true method of applying stove polish works but I'm also wondering about any new high heat paints that might do the job . Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated !

Thanks ,
Bob

I'm 'listening', but I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for Mainely Saws...

I can't recall exactly why, but I've (nearly) always used 'BBQ Black' paint in preference to stove polish on my old parlor stove... which is in need of refinishing... and/or rebuilding.

I'd be interested to hear about other high heat (black) finishes as well - either flat or the (so-called) metallic black now being used on some stoves.

So... here's a bump.

Peter B.

--

Bob: I'd be interested in some photos of your Clarion if you've got any to post.

Also, seeing's how you're in Maine, you really ought to make a visit to Bryant's Stove in Thorndike...

http://bryantstove.com/

I made a 'pilgrimage' there a number of years ago... and spent half the day... an amazing place.

-----

Hey Peter , thanks for the reply . I do have some pics of my Clarion parlor stove but I need to reduce them in size in order to post them in this forum & I haven't done that just yet but I will . I took a drive up to Bryants stove shop a couple of years ago & was also just amazed at what they have . While there I picked up some mica for the front door of my stove . I'm pretty sure that they use stove pollish but the new paints may be better .

Bob

Hi Bob,
I had an old 1901 kitchen stove restored 5 years ago by an excellent local company. The finish they used was a very high quality high temp paint. The stove looked great for about a year, but my wife and I use it for a good bit of weekend cooking. Cooking spills, high heat, and grease spatters all made the stove top look bad in no time. Since then I have gone back to a traditional "stove black" polish. Let me know if you would like me to look up the brand. It is basically a paste that comes in a tube. I apply it with a slightly damp rag, and work it in real well to all the cast iron. After it dries, I buff it off with a clean dry rag. It's almost like waxing a car. I do this about 2 or 3 times per season and it keeps the stove looking great. The traditional time proven methods stick around because they work well. They typically require a little more elbow grease, but they work. I've attached a pic of the stove in action. Good luck!

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 280
Hello & thanks Chief Chicken !
What a great looking cook stove you have ! As soon as I can figure out how to reduce my pics , I'll be sure to post one or two . The stove polish that I'm familiar with is manufactured by Rutland . My concern was just what you expressed in that the paint looked great for a short period of time & then went downhill from there . I 'm going to do just as you suggest & stick with the pollish . I use my parlor stove quite a bit in the Spring & Fall . It's in a camp that doesn't get used in the Winter much . I love the stove but it looks kind of tired after burning it for a while . Again , thanks for the reply ..........

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.