Any advice for first time with a harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

palefire

Nov 24, 2014
Vermont
I bought a house at the end of this past summer and it came with a harman Tl300. I had been using a HS mansfiled for the past three winters but right now that stove is out of commission and I'm not sure what I am doing with it yet (rebuild, scrap or call the repair shop).
The harman runs very differently from the hearthstone and does not seem to put out the amount of heat that my old stove did even though they are rated for about the same number of BTU/Hr.
As far as I can tell the stove is good working order and the draft is great when the main air control is open (large handle on the side), but it seems to die quite often when I close the main even if the secondary control is on the third notch, which the manual says you should only use it that open if you are firing green wood to get enough heat to complete the burn.
Any advice for getting a more consistent burn from this stove would be appreciated.

How seasoned is the wood you are using? Any change there? Cut, split, stacked, for 1 year at least?

Has the chimney been cleaned?

What is the construction of the chimney? Type of liner, height, dimensions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.