Any Chance Of A Harman Absolute Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Enigma869

Feeling the Heat
Aug 27, 2011
Massachusetts
Good Evening...

Has anyone heard or read anything from Harman on the possibility of an insert version of the Absolute line with the digital controls? I had a P68 in my last house, but as much as I loved the stove, I always found the controls to be borderline embarrassing. I'm in the process of building a large addition onto my current home, and part of that will be a "great room". I'd love to have a new insert (for the fireplace we're building) to be a part of that, but I just can't bring myself to do the manual knob thing again, as I always felt that the knobs were very imprecise, and impossible to read. An insert with the touchscreen control would get my money. Thanks for any feedback.

John

How old or which year is your 68? The knobs and or control boards have improved from what my PC45 has vs. my newer P68 but still similar. Not sure what the 2017 models look like.

That said they have come out with a new Absolute 63 but I believe that is a free standing stove only for now. I knew about the Absolute 43's but was unaware of the 63's until someone showed up here with one.

I do think all of the stoves will eventually go to the digital or touch control. IMO I think the Harmans are excellent stoves but the firebox tool or pot scrapers and the control knobs are a bit of a Fischer Price toy of a joke.

I always kind of liked nobs personally but the pots on the Harman boards are a bit flimsy. Maybe they will do better with buttons.

Just a wild guess but the 52i is fairly new, I can see Harman outfitting that with the button control board. I haven't heard anything about an Absolute insert yet, bet it would be another Harman beauty though..

Last edited:
I always kind of liked nobs personally but the pots on the Harman boards are a bit flimsy. Maybe they will do better with buttons.

Just a wild guess but the 52i is fairly new, I can see Harman outfitting that with the button control board. I haven't heard anything about an Absolute insert yet, bet it would be another Harman beauty though..

I don't mind the knobs either but the pot switches are a known weakness throughout the Harman years and line up. In reality the bords do not fail it is the "knobs" or pot switches which can be replaced but most lack the skill set or patience for that tedious task and that is after you locate and get the replacements. I bet most service techs don't waste that time and just slam in a new board when it likely isn't the board but probably on failed pot switch etc;

Reactions: alternativeheat
Why not just build the hearth deep enough to accommodate a traditional Absolute 43 or 63? I've always liked the look of a stove set up on a hearth.

How old or which year is your 68? The knobs and or control boards have improved from what my PC45 has vs. my newer P68 but still similar. Not sure what the 2017 models look like.

That said they have come out with a new Absolute 63 but I believe that is a free standing stove only for now. I knew about the Absolute 43's but was unaware of the 63's until someone showed up here with one.

I do think all of the stoves will eventually go to the digital or touch control. IMO I think the Harmans are excellent stoves but the firebox tool or pot scrapers and the control knobs are a bit of a Fischer Price toy of a joke.

The P68 wasn't that old. I purchased it within the past three years, and then sold my house. I've just never been much of a fan of their dopey knobs. Given that I have touchscreen thermostats throughout my home, the knobs on the Harmans make me feel like I've been transported back to the 1970's! I needed to use a flashlight just to see where the white arrow on the black knob was lined up, and even then, it wasn't very precise. Here is hoping that Harman switches their controls over on all of their pellet stoves. The Absolute 63 would be an ideal stove for me...if it were an insert!

Reactions: bags
Yes, I get the knobs / pot switches. No problems with mine but a lit up pad might be worth it for many. I usually have mine set and let it roll unless temps change a bit.