Any damage done here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I loaded the stove up with a solid load of apple about 5 years old big splits around 6- 8 inches square, I got sidetracked with a project and didn't kick the stove down after closing the bypass on the King parlor. anyway my cat needle was pegged at 1600 degrees and a stovetop reading in stoves center was at 840 degrees. No pinging , cracking, nothing , I turned the blower on high and the stove dropped in a couple minutes into the high 600 degree mark and cat probe went to 1000 degrees. I think no harm done. The stove usually cruises in the low 600 degree mark for hours.

I have done the same thing more than once with no ill effects to my Princess...

As long as it's not a habit, it'll be ok.
Cats don't die from one such event. It may shorten their lifetime a little, but you won't notice. When it "happens always", those shortenings start to add up. Not from one case alone.