Any East Coast Stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Are there any East Coast stove manufacturers left other than Vermont Castings and Buck?

Little background:

I live in PA and have been burning coal for years. Do to a death in the family, we got the family farmhouse. Complete gutting was needed unfortunately, but it provided an opportunity to insulate and modernize the home.

The new masonry chimney was built by the builder very early on in the remodel. The location was chosen very early on in the build do to layout and the builder not wanting to have an interior chimney. The clearances were fine for a handfed coal stove at the time.

Since then they had to add a 40" bump out wall to divide the space in order to get new electrical wires and plumbing to the upstairs. Also a half bath was added in the stove space which seemed to grow in size as they built it to infringe on the coal stove clearances even further.

So I start looking at wood stoves as the clearances are better.

Stove shops are around this area, but I quickly realize most of their woodstove lines are all North West or not US manufactures. I'm sure the stoves are great, Osburn, Pacific Energy, Blaze King, Lopi, etc, seem to be fine stoves. Is there anything equivalent in the East?

I'm a farmer and a buy local guy. It's not an East vs West thing. I'm sure you Westerners would have trouble finding a coal stove as well.

Are there any East Coast stove manufacturers left other than Vermont Castings and Buck?

Little background:

I live in PA and have been burning coal for years. Do to a death in the family, we got the family farmhouse. Complete gutting was needed unfortunately, but it provided an opportunity to insulate and modernize the home.

The new masonry chimney was built by the builder very early on in the remodel. The location was chosen very early on in the build do to layout and the builder not wanting to have an interior chimney. The clearances were fine for a handfed coal stove at the time.

Since then they had to add a 40" bump out wall to divide the space in order to get new electrical wires and plumbing to the upstairs. Also a half bath was added in the stove space which seemed to grow in size as they built it to infringe on the coal stove clearances even further.

So I start looking at wood stoves as the clearances are better.

Stove shops are around this area, but I quickly realize most of their woodstove lines are all North West or not US manufactures. I'm sure the stoves are great, Osburn, Pacific Energy, Blaze King, Lopi, etc, seem to be fine stoves. Is there anything equivalent in the East?

I'm a farmer and a buy local guy. It's not an East vs West thing. I'm sure you Westerners would have trouble finding a coal stove as well.
None of those stoves will burn coal. DS stoves makes coal stoves. Someone is making what used to be Harman coal stoves I believe the name is legacy. And there are several stoker stoves made. All of those are east coast. Most in PA

None of those stoves will burn coal. DS stoves makes coal stoves. Someone is making what used to be Harman coal stoves I believe the name is legacy. And there are several stoker stoves made. All of those are east coast. Most in PA
Yes I know they won't burn coal. I'm looking at wood stoves because of the clearances to combustibles and having plenty of wood. I'm sorry I wasn't clear and rambled on.

Yes I know they won't burn coal. I'm looking at wood stoves because of the clearances to combustibles and having plenty of wood. I'm sorry I wasn't clear and rambled on.
Hearthstone and Woodstock are both east coast manufacturers as well.

Jotuls are made in Maine. Napoleons are Quebec made. MF Fire is Maryland. There are also Appalachian, Englander, and High Valley stoves.

Maybe I am wrong but I think Jotul's are a mix of imported castings and US plate components assembled in Gorham Maine.

Jøtul North America currently imports approximately 9,000 wood stoves from their parent company in Fredrikstad, Norway to be sold throughout North America. Jøtul AS will continue to produce the cast iron parts and flat pack them to Jøtul NA where they will be assembled.

Didn’t SBI buy out an eastcost manufacturer?

Nice to support local and US businesses. But not many stove manufactures. A good quality stove, you won't need to talk to the manufacturer. But if you need a part it's nice to there available.

Woodstock reportedly really encourages factory visits and pickups by stove owners.

Maybe I am wrong but I think Jotul's are a mix of imported castings and US plate components assembled in Gorham Maine.
That is correct. Last I heard all US Jotul stoves are being assembled in Maine now. The pure cast iron ones have the parts shipped over for assembly. The steel stoves (F45, F50, F55) and the inserts that are no longer sold, originated in Maine with the trim and jacket castings forged in Norway for US assembly.

I'm a buy local guy, for most things, as well. But I'd by my stove from a Martian, if said Martian made the best stoves.

Reactions: EbS-P and SpaceBus
There is no one "best stove", only the best stove for one's particular situation, aesthetic choices, heating requirements, lifestyle, budget, maintenance requirements, etc.

Reactions: bholler
Be careful buying stoves from aliens. They have different ideas about what is best.

alien stove.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With coal stoves there are a half dozen builders within a few hour drive of my house. Not so with the Wood Stove side.

After thinking it over I'm going to move forward with the idea that the Wood Stove is like any other appliance/tool. Our Washer and Dryer weren't made here, nor our freezers, tractors, etc.

So we're going to visit the dealers around the area, find a dealer we like, and buy whatever brand they sell that will work for our home. With so many good stoves available the wife and I feel the dealer is going to be more important than the actual stove manufacture within reason. Lots of time and driving, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

Like most things the dealer will sell you what ever you really fall in love with even if not the most reliable or bet fit for your application.

Spend some time reading up on the forum. Ask questions. There are many knowledgeable users here.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

With coal stoves there are a half dozen builders within a few hour drive of my house. Not so with the Wood Stove side.

After thinking it over I'm going to move forward with the idea that the Wood Stove is like any other appliance/tool. Our Washer and Dryer weren't made here, nor our freezers, tractors, etc.

So we're going to visit the dealers around the area, find a dealer we like, and buy whatever brand they sell that will work for our home. With so many good stoves available the wife and I feel the dealer is going to be more important than the actual stove manufacture within reason. Lots of time and driving, but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Finding a good local dealer you trust is great but like esp said don't just take their word on everything. They are trying to make a sale so their info may be biased.

Understood.

I have a pretty good idea of what our needs/wants are and I've got a pretty good list of stoves from reading the forums here. A mix of well reviewed stoves on this site, some cat, some not, some hybrids.

I grew up burning wood in older stoves. Old Mill, Buck, and our last one at the camp was a Baker coal stove that we burned wood in. The change from burning coal to these new epa stoves is going to be a challenge. Also finding truly seasoned wood to start burning this fall. I might have to burn biobricks this first year unless standing or laying dead trees are considered "seasoned". So a Cat stove might not work for our inferior wood this year.

Reactions: bholler
Understood.

I have a pretty good idea of what our needs/wants are and I've got a pretty good list of stoves from reading the forums here. A mix of well reviewed stoves on this site, some cat, some not, some hybrids.

I grew up burning wood in older stoves. Old Mill, Buck, and our last one at the camp was a Baker coal stove that we burned wood in. The change from burning coal to these new epa stoves is going to be a challenge. Also finding truly seasoned wood to start burning this fall. I might have to burn biobricks this first year unless standing or laying dead trees are considered "seasoned". So a Cat stove might not work for our inferior wood this year.
Get yourself a moisture meter. There is no other way to know for sure what moisture content your working with

Reactions: Homebody
Understood.

cat or not both require the same wood. Look for soft maple(silver/red), ash, or any of the fruit woods. If you get those split now and stacked they will be ready to go in the fall if you mix some biobricks with them. I made it through my first year with a mix of ash/silver maple and a pallet of bio bricks. I still pretty much only burn ash. Got a supplier that loves me since i will take all his ash and he doesnt have to mix it into his hardwoods to get rid of it. I also order in feb/march for april - june delivery so its his slow time.

Is that green silver maple? We are cutting down silver maples around the house that are live. Most of teh Ash have died in our woods from the Borer and majority of Oaks from the blight (or whatever) that killed them.

So plenty of dead Ash and Oak with green silver maple that is slowly coming down.

yup. Silver maple is fantastice aft4er 2 summers but will work mixed with some bio bricks after 1 as long as you split it smaller.

Given the fairly good practical research that has been done on this forum on low budget solar kilns, its at the point where if someone has the sunny space in their yard, in most climates they can dry wood in three to 4 months to dry and ready to burn in the summer if they follow the basics, so its not too late.

Reactions: Homebody and EbS-P
Check out Woodstock soap stone stoves, they have both a steel and soap stone line (highly radiant stoves) made in Vermont with US workers and a fairly high regarded brand on this website, known for excellent customer service and craftmanship.